Kudos: 184
Solutions: 24

Re: Change WAN DNS Server

@rasjrbr

The CLI for this router has two different modes... non-configure mode ($ prompt -- sorry, I don't know the proper name) and configure mode (# prompt.) Each mode uses different commands, which is why you are sometimes getting errors. 

That being said, I can make out enough of your config from the results you posted to see that your DNS forwarding appears to be configured correctly.

Can you give me more details about the issue(s) that you are having?

rasjrbr wrote:

@cuda74360

[edit]
admin@technics# show service dns forwarding
 cache-size 250
 listen-on switch0
 system
[edit]
admin@technics# show system name server
Specified configuration path is not valid
[edit]
admin@technics# show system nameserver
[edit]
admin@technics# cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf
#
# autogenerated by vyatta-dns-forwarding.pl on Thu Jul 13 14:42:33 BRT 2017
#
log-facility=/var/log/dnsmasq.log
interface=switch0
cache-size=250
server=208.67.222.222   # system
server=208.67.220.220   # system
no-resolv
[edit]
admin@technics# show dns forwarding nameservers
[edit]
admin@technics# show dns forwarding nameservers
[edit]
admin@technics#

I want to be able to change DNS servers on the fly without any fuss. It's been hard.

Somehow there's a problem in my company's server that didn't update their IP's on Google's DNS here in South America and that's why I was trying to change those to OpenDNS servers and it was impossible to do so. (it still is).

I know you tried and I appreciate your time and effort, but to be honest no one was able to clarify HOW to change those DNS's clients from my Edgerouter X so far.

I'm still trying to understand what your issue is. Are you trying to configure the DNS forwarder on the router to use OpenDNS? Or are you trying to assign the OpenDNS addresses to your clients?

rasjrbr wrote:

I want to be able to change DNS servers on the fly without any fuss. It's been hard.

Somehow there's a problem in my company's server that didn't update their IP's on Google's DNS here in South America and that's why I was trying to change those to OpenDNS servers and it was impossible to do so. (it still is).

I know you tried and I appreciate your time and effort, but to be honest no one was able to clarify HOW to change those DNS's clients from my Edgerouter X so far.

This worked great for me.  I am on openDNS now.  Quick question.

I have a basic setup with eth0 internet, eth1 = lan2, eth2-4 = lan1.

I want eth1 to have the OpenDNS Family Shield DNS and eth2-4 to have the OpenDNS regular.  Is there any easy way to do this?  Thanks!

Hi All, 

I am a real amateur at this stuff. 

I have set up DNS forwarding using smartdnsproxy, for a number of sites (netflix, bbc etc) using the CLI. I need to remove one of the sites in the list. How should I do this easily (preferably GUI but I can do CLI if necessary)? 

This is the code I used to set it up with....

set service dns forwarding options server=/smartdnsproxy.com/netflix.com/netflix.net/nflximg.com/nflxvideo.net/hulu.com/e.akamai.net/akamaihd.net/llnwd.net/uplynk.com/edgefcs.net/theplatform.com/mgo.com/amazon.com/flixster.com/cinemanow.com/roxionow.com/hbogo.com/footprint.net/pbs.org/sho.com/showtimeanytime.com/shovod.edgesuite.net/itv.com/movenetworks.com/movetv.com/shrbt.com/go.com/cbs.com/tbs.com/espn.com/crackle.com/vh1.com/fxnetworks.com/nbcolympics.com/nbcsports.com/sony.tv/sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/unicornmedia.com/rhapsody.com/pandora.com/songza.com/slacker.com/bbc.co.uk/bbc.net.uk/bbc.com/itv.com/channel4.com/channel5.com/skyanywhere.com/sky.com/nowtv.com/skychnl.net/boxee.tv/sony.tv/vevo.com/iview.abc.net.au/abc.net.au/abc.com.au/iview.abc.com.au/tenplay.com.au/au.tv.yahoo.com/9now.com.au/sbs.com.au/sbs.net.au/ninemsn.com.au/9news.com.au/unicornmedia.com/brightcove.com/tpgi.com.au/sisgroup.com.au/xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Thanks....

Cuda74360,

This approach is not working. I'm not having exactly an issue. The issue is, i cannot seem to dodge the google dns server from my router, and it's hard to change to OpenDNS servers. I want all clients on my network to use OpenDNS as default, as established by EdgerouterX. I don't know if this is "configure the DNS forwarder on the router to use OpenDNS" or "assign the OpenDNS addresses to your clients",

@IndyJ

I don't think that there is a way to have dnsmasq forward traffic to different dns servers based on source. I would recommend configuring DHCP to assign the OpenDNS FamilyShield addresses to the clients attached to eth1.

@MaxCont

I wasn't aware that you could specify more than one domain in the 'server=' field... learn something new everyday.

The quickest way to do this would be to delete the original command you ran:

delete service dns forwarding options server=/smartdnsproxy.com/netflix.com/netflix.net/nflximg.com/nflxvideo.net/hulu.com/e.akamai.net/akamaihd.net/llnwd.net/uplynk.com/edgefcs.net/theplatform.com/mgo.com/amazon.com/flixster.com/cinemanow.com/roxionow.com/hbogo.com/footprint.net/pbs.org/sho.com/showtimeanytime.com/shovod.edgesuite.net/itv.com/movenetworks.com/movetv.com/shrbt.com/go.com/cbs.com/tbs.com/espn.com/crackle.com/vh1.com/fxnetworks.com/nbcolympics.com/nbcsports.com/sony.tv/sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/unicornmedia.com/rhapsody.com/pandora.com/songza.com/slacker.com/bbc.co.uk/bbc.net.uk/bbc.com/itv.com/channel4.com/channel5.com/skyanywhere.com/sky.com/nowtv.com/skychnl.net/boxee.tv/sony.tv/vevo.com/iview.abc.net.au/abc.net.au/abc.com.au/iview.abc.com.au/tenplay.com.au/au.tv.yahoo.com/9now.com.au/sbs.com.au/sbs.net.au/ninemsn.com.au/9news.com.au/unicornmedia.com/brightcove.com/tpgi.com.au/sisgroup.com.au/xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Then remove the desired domain name from the original command, and re-run it.

Alternately, you could open /config/config.boot in vi, remove the domain name there, and then restart the dnsmasq service. I don't recommend this, though, unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

You might be able to do this from the config tree in the GUI, but someone else would have to tell you how. I disable the GUI in my config, and haven't used it in years.

@rasjrbr

I really need to see your config to help any further. You can find this file at /config/config.boot. You can also backup your config from the GUI, which will generate a tar file containing the same info. I would recommend that you mask and/or remove any sensitive info (usernames, passwords, IP's, etc) before posting it publicly.

Nevermind my friend.

I'm giving up on this Edgerouter X.

I'll see if I can work the Unifi AP AC without the Edgerouter, using a more simple interface router.

If not, I'm afraid I am going to give up in this configuration.

Now I cannot update my iOS apps thanks to this issue.

I cannot stand CLI interfaces. I don't have the time. I need things to work in a simpler manner.

I don't know how to send a sanitized config. I don't want to learn that. Ubnt should know better how to create a better GUI interface for the not so savvy user.

Solutions: 1

Updated Solution

After you login go to:

Services Tab > Actions > View Details > DNS1/DNS2

It will let you enter whatever DNS you would like.  By default it is set to your Default Gateway meaning you are using whatever your ISP is providing.

Kudos: 2

Services Tab > Actions > View Details > DNS1/DNS2

This only sets what the connected DHCP clients use, NOT what the router itself uses.

What about setting Preferred and Alternate DNS under USG->Config->WAN? How is doing that different that what is being proposed in this thread using the commandline?

Would appreciate if someone can clarify. Thanks!

This is the edgerouter sub forum, no USG in use here. 

Highlighted

So I think I did it right since my dns leak results show the cloudfare but when I go to ipconfig /all I dont get the cloudfare as the dns?

5-16-2018 1-02-31 PM.jpg
5-16-2018 12-34-02 PM.jpg
5-16-2018 12-57-06 PM.jpg

@slatimer72, your ipconfig shows you are using your router for DNS, which in turn is (most likely) getting DNS from cloudflare.

If you want the ipconfig to explicitly reflect cloudflare, then on your individual workstation you'd have to set the DNS explicitly to the cloudflare DNS addresses in the adapter configure.

As long as your router is configured to use Cloudflare for DNS (which it looks like it is), then it will pass your station's DNS queries onto the on the cloudflare servers in turn.  This is a very common configuration.

perfect thanks!!!