Kudos: 319
Solutions: 13

Change in ISP network: how to handle tagged frames across home network?

In my current FTTH setup, my ISP's CPE is terminating two VLANs: one for TV (4) and one for 'regular' Internet (34). As such, I use managed switches to carry the VLANs accross my house, to make sure the traffic stays separated. The setup is as follows:

Setup_Tweak_old.png

Now, my ISP is migrating to a new network, in which the CPE is not terminating the two VLANs, meaning that tagged Ethernet frames leave the CPE. One possibility is now to connect my ERPoE to the CPE and let it take care of the VLANs, as shown below:

Setup_Tweak_new.png

Another possibility is to let my managed switches take care of the VLAN handling, before the 'regular' Internet VLAN is connected with the WAN interface of my ERPoE. What is your opinion on which solution to take?

Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1563
Solutions: 283

Re: Change in ISP network: how to handle tagged frames across home network?

Eaither way shoudl work if configured properly. But not running TV through the router will offload the CPU on the router.

...decide on other factors like your physical setup limitations. You oubviously have the two switches there for a reason ...separate rooms perhaps? Which setup fits you best?

@BranoB wrote:

But not running TV through the router will offload the CPU on the router.

Why do you believe that to be the case? I have IPv4 and IPv6 forward offloading enabled, so it shouldn't be processed by the CPU at all, right?

@BranoB wrote:

...decide on other factors like your physical setup limitations. You oubviously have the two switches there for a reason ...separate rooms perhaps? Which setup fits you best?

The ERPoE and 'upper' switch are in one room, while the 'lower' switch and TV are in another. The setups don't change anything in network device placement.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1563
Solutions: 283

With offload enabled it should not make a difference, you're right.

Just a thought, running everything from ER will give you some additional control for examle QoS or monitoring. On the other hand it will be a single point of interruption .. FW upgrade will ditrupt TV.

Personally, just my gut feel, I'd run everything through ER ... to get control over things.

OK, sounds like a matter of taste then.

My LAN is currently connected to my switch0 interface. Do you have any idea on how to configure the VLANs on the WAN interface (eth0 in my case) and make sure that only one of them, VLAN 4, remains tagged (and VLAN 34 is not)?