Emerging Member
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 2

Re: Comcast IPv6 issues when hwnat enabled on ER-X

i have an ERX v1.9.1 hwnat enabled with comcast and haven't had a problem with ipv6. maybe those having an issue could post their location, cable modem and CMTS model to see if there is anything in common there?

Kudos: 2

I am in Johns Creek, GA (metro Atlanta), have an Arris SB6183 modem and residental Comcast

connection. The cable connection comes straight into my computer room from a splitter. Only other

connection on the splitter is an X1 box in the den.

I have been able to get ipv6 working intermittedly with hwnat enabled. I upgraded to 1.9.7 alpha

yesterday and tweaked my settings. I had originally configured the switch ports as a bridge however,

I removed the bridge for the switch setup. 

It is working at the moment. I did cycle power on the modem with my most recent test. That could be a factor.

Fred B

I'm a total newb with this without an in depth understanding of the CLI settings but I followed the inputs from the residential Comcast thread settings and seems to be fine. I am in NH with a Netgear CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 Modem. Not sure if anything is intermittent, but when I run speed tests and the IPv6 test online it all shows an IPv6 address with the proper Blast internet speeds. Whenever I look in the connection settings of the devices themselves, I see an address also. HWNAT is also enabled, I was certain to check that I had enabled it. Again, as a novice, I think it's working.

I should also note that I'm on v1.9.1 and did do a power off cycle on the ER-X.

[ Edited ]

Can you enter the cli mode and cat /proc/cpuinfo and let me know the results?

mainly the cpu NAME mine is 

cpu model : MIPS 1004Kc V2.15

Also the results from

lsmod | grep hw_nat

Or esle with an er-x that has ipv6 working on Comcast with hwnat.

Tnx

Fred

Kudos: 22

So i havent posted before either about this but everyone here that says they have a problem with comcast on ipv6 i have the same problem too. I have an Edge Router Pro 8 port. I am behind comcast using their modem i dont have any pcap's or logs llike most folks have done because i havent had time to really look at this but i will say this my internet becomes completely unuseable if i upgrade to version 1.9.1 because of the ipv6 nat issue but if i back down to version 1.9.0 i have no problems it works like a champ. So there is definately a problem with comcast ipv6 and the edge router pro 8 and version 1.9.1 and nat just wanted to throw it out there that it also effects the ERPRO-8 please make sure if your coding an update to include the ERPRO-8 on this, i have been baffled since ERPRO-8 version 1.9.1 came out why i couldn't upgrade and everything came to a halt on my network and now i know why this forum actually shed some light on what happened to my nat. 

So one thing to add, i tried the 1.9.7 alpha 1 release to see if the issue was solved and it wasn't so the issues still carries over to 1.9.7 alpha 1. I updated and my web browsing went to a crawl because of nat issues so im back on 1.9.0. I dont want to clog up the forum with posts and stuff but if there is a way i can help let me know what commands to run or give me a procedure to follow i want to make sure i dont have to stop using my router or be stuck on an old version forever if the erpro-8 isn't included on the comcast ipv6 issues fix. I am looking to upgrade to the newest 10gb router at somepoint when docsis 3.1 comes out so i really want to use your product i am a home user but i work on juniper, vyatta, cisco etc for a living but i dont get down into the weeds of the programming like this much

Emerging Member
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 2

not sure what you mean about a "ipv6 nat issue" but any problem you are having with an edgerouter pro is almost certainly unrelated to this thread

I show the same thing, MIPS 1004Kc V2.15, the next command gave me 24236 0

Thanks..Just wondered if all the hardware was the same. I have done a ton of experimenting. 

The er-x and Comcast just won't work with hwnat offload enabled. You can get ipv6 working without

offload enabled and then modproge hw_nat to enable (on a running system) however, the ipv6

will die in an hour or two.

I only have a 150 mb connection so it doesn't really matter now. If I do upgrade it will be after

either AT&T gets fiber in here or Comcast really gets competetive with 1000 mb service.

Fred B 

Do you have a Comcast modem? I upgraded to the Netgear before I ever tried the hw_nat or ipv6 enabling.

i am certain i have some sort of an issue going on here relates to the firmware but i did realize that i do not have the ability to turn on hardware nat offload so this isn't the same thing but i think either their is a ipv6 nat issue still or a dns issue. I need to dig further but it does point at the firmware when my traffic comes to a halt on my home network when i upgrade to any version greater than 1.9.0 but when i revert to 1.9.0 my network is fine

I have an Arris modem SB-6183 (my own, not Comcast). It is a DOSCIS 3.0. It works great

I have had it about a year or less. I will update it at some point to 3.1 however, my speed tier

is 150mb and even hw offload is not necessary at this speed. I was looking ahead to see

if the er-x would suffice if I move to a higher speed. I do like it's features and you cannot 

beat the price.

Fred

Kudos: 5

This mirrors my config exactly.   I think we'll get a solution.  ICMPv6 traffic seems to be making it but the DHCPv6 is being dropped.

I am on firmware 1.9.1.1 and enabled hwnat for the first time yesterday.

So far so good, I have 3 VLANs, all devices are getting IPv6 addresses and pass the Comcast's IPv6 test.

Just let me know if you need to additional information.

[ Edited ]

I still doesn't work for me. I am running 1.9.1.1 with the a slightly modified config that Steve Jenkins posted on github and here. (https://github.com/stevejenkins/UBNT-EdgeRouter-Example-Configs).

Without hwnat ipv6 works perfectly. If I enable hwnat,  ipv6 disappears.

Fred B.

Kudos: 166
Solutions: 3

For those who can't get IPv6 working with Comcast, what's your CPU usage look like? I had someone post a comment on my blog that their CPU usage was high due to multiple IPv6 DHCP requests being made. Trying to see if that's a symptom affecting others.

This is where I used to list my UBNT gear, but now it's mostly stuff I'm not allowed to talk about yet. Man Wink
942.22 Mbps down / 926.27 Mbps up (http://result.googlefiber.net/share/316298352.png)
My Blog: http://www.stevejenkins.com/

I'll have to check it with hwnat. CPU usage is fine w/o hwnat (of course ipv6 is also).

When I get a chance, I will check and report back.

Fred B.

Kudos: 5

What I have found is something in HWNAT is causing the DHCPv6-PD advertisements (source port 547/dest port 546) to be discarded silently. BTW I have this specifically permitted in a firewall rule and it works fine without hwnat enabled.

If you have it working and enable hardware NAT it will seem to work for some time as it will keep the existing address for its lifetime but will not be able to renew.   If you reboot after enabling hardware NAT it will always fail immediately.  I have tried permitting everything in my ruleset but that doesn't even get the packets to stop being dropped silently.

Software forwarding is keeping up for now.

I agree. I tried using different ports other than 546 and 547, tried tcp instead of udp but none worked

with hwnat offload. 

There must be a way around it but I haven't discovered it yet. 

Fred B.