Configuring My New Network

I have been working with UBNT products for a year now. Recently I dove into installing, configuring a MPtP network. I generally works OK but the more I view statictics, throughput and auctual usage I feel I could be missing some key settings and/or configurations that would make me feel better / more confident in this network.

My first realization is I need to replace the TP-Link TL-R480T+.  It is what I had available at the time of instillation. (Side note, I am located on a remote island off Nicaragua.) After installing the TP Router with Load-Balancing configured I never see a speed higher then 10Mbps, shouldn't I see a combined speed of roughly 20Mbps? (Not even if I am connected directly through a wired connection to the router.)  I know this is not a UBNT product but wanted to disclose my exact configuration.......But planning on replacing with the Edgerouter-4 ASAP!

The rest of the network is comprised of UBNT equipment; PBE-400s, NBM5s, EdgeMax Routers and AP-AC-Lites.  Having different IPs for antennas, routers and AP was an easy way for me to start my configuration setup but now I feel it is hendering my ability to access different routers and APs from remote connection. (And even within the LAN from one location.)

Below is a synopsis of my overall network currently in place.  Any quick ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you for your time and responses, Greg.

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.47.46 PM.png

Established Member
Kudos: 479
Solutions: 46

Re: Configuring My New Network

The IPs listed on your diagram, can you explain what they represent? The first set of overlapping 192.168.1.1 IPs shown connected to the TP-Link immediately confuses me from the start.

Regarding the load balancing and throughput: You will not see more than one ISP's throughput per-stream to the Internet. This is because traffic has to be symmetric for the purposes of NAT/firewall rules. That being said, 10M on a single speedtest sounds correct.
Please don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark accepted solutions accordingly!
jcm.me - Personal Site | Joyn.Tech - Consulting Site

Add Auto-Provisioning Support to UNMS

The first listed IPs are the defaultsused by the ISP Modem which I have no control over. 192.168.1.1 is the modems gateway. I can easily conact to bth modems using a static IP but either way it will be a 192.168.1.xx scenario. When leaving the TP-Link to my first antenna the new assigned, default address is 192.168.0.xx.  I can / have changed this but does little to change the throughput.  I do feel the repeated 192.168.1.2 / 192.168.1.4 IPs entering the TP router should be a confusing issue.  Both connections are through the same ISP not giving me much of a choice????

Please remember I am dealing with 2.5 world communication systems and tech support is nonexistent to say the least.

Established Member

Is it *working* that way or is this conceptual? I don't see how it's possible with the topology you have drawn.
Please don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark accepted solutions accordingly!

Hello Joyn-

Yes, this network is up and running right now.......Again, it is working OK-ish. I am currently downloading something at 12.5Mbps, which is unheard of around here.  So I must be doing something right. 

All of my antennas are linked with an IP address of 192.168.5.xx and the routers and APs are in DHCP Mode to obtain the working IP to the WAN.  It that info helps at all.

Established Member

I would really like to see IP assignment shown on the interfaces of the TP-link from the GUI. This is intriguing.