Connect Fritzbox to an EdgeRouterPoe

Hello,

i am using an EdgeRoutePoe Lite with an Internetconnection provided by the University. 

Sadly i didnt configured the EdgeRouter and i just starting to understand the configuration of it.

Now we want to add an second Internetconnection over another Router (FritzBox 7490) which is connected to an ISP (Telekom Buisness with an static IP).

I read several documentations and tried something allready, but hoenstly i am not quite sure how to even start.

Pls help meMan Happy

thank u allready

Emerging Member
Kudos: 36
Solutions: 4

Re: Connect Fritzbox to an EdgeRouterPoe

Hi,

your are not very speciffic about what you are trying to accomplish. My guess is that your setup is similar to mine, so I explain my setup and maybe you can draw some info from it.

My EdgeRouter-X has following connections:

- eth0 hooked up to cable modem and receives its public IP via DHCP (that would be your university uplink)

- eth1 hooked up to dsl modem (actually its a DSL router degraded to bridge mode) and ER-X covers the PPPoE part (that would be your DTAG uplink)

- eth2-eth4 form the switch-ports of internal switch0. One of the clients on that switch0 is my FritzBox (in IP-Client mode) which handles the VoIP (also DTAG) and DECT part. VoIP even works fine without any configured port-forwarding, but I had to make sure "Fritz-Traffic" is always routed out through eth1.

I do source NAT (masquerading) on LAN traffic directed out through eth0 and through eth1 and also have load-balancing set up.

Unfortunatelly your Fritz!Box 7490 does not allow modem-only mode or bridge mode, so you either have to put up with double-NAT or you do a second PPPoE session (pppoe passthrough, see here). However, I'm not sure if your internet connection (DeutschlandLAN Connect IP I suppose?) supports more than one PPPoE session. My guess would be: probably not, especially if your access line is already connected to a BNG on DTAG's side.

If you go with double NAT make sure your subnets don't have overlapping IP addresses (so go with the default 192.168.178.0/24 on the Fritzbox side and use 192.168.{1,2,3...}.0/24 for the LAN subnet(s) of the EdgeRouter. My recommendation however would be to find a good modem (either the ZyXELs sold by DTAG to business customers or you get e.g. a used Draytec Vigor 130 on ebay and switch it to modem or bridge mode) and hook up your FritzBox as IP-Client behind the ER.

If you want to play around more with this:

- make sure you make a backup of EdgeRouters configuration first!!

- you might find EdgeRouter's "2WAN2LAN" (not sure about the exact name) wizard handy for a start

- read about load-balancing with exceptions here (though I had more luck using modify routing table instead of modify load-balance group. Reason was that my eth0 was usually up earlyer than my eth1 which caused early SIP traffic to go out eth0 and then stick with it, even when eth1 came up)

Cheers

Alex

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1540
Solutions: 280

Hello

my router Edge X is connected via PPPoE (eth0) on a Draytek Vigor 130 which is configured as a modem only.

Internet connection works stable.

On the EdgeX is connected on eth1 (set to IP 192.168.1.2/24) my Fritzbox (192.168.1.38)

On eth2 --> switch (192.168.2.1)  is connected my PC (192.168.2.3)

I am able to ping the IP 192.168.1.38 (Fritzbox) but can't reach it via HTTP to get the GUI.

How need to configure my settings on the EdgeX for to reach my Fritzbox from my PC again?

Thank you for your support

Firefox140863

Emerging Member

Hi,
Fritzbox likely blocks any connection to its management GUI from any subnet but its own (for good reason). Try NAT/masquerade to make the connection appear to come from within the .1.x subnet.
Cheers
Alex
Emerging Member

PS: If you choose to go this route, make sure not to open up access to your "Fritte" from the outside!
PPS: I just checked my setup. I do not have such a masquerading rule in place and yet can access the Fritzbox GUI from another internal subnet.
Do you run the Fritz in IP client mode?