Emerging Member
Kudos: 32
Solutions: 2

DHCP and static IP addrs on WAN port.

ATT Gigapower actively markets their static ip blocks but sadly the ERL doesn't allow for DHCP and static ips on the same interface.   You still have to use DHCP to keep the connection alive so you can't just use the statics and ignore DHCP.

I've searched and see that people have asked about this over the past few years but as of 1.9.1.1 it is not allowed.

Is this on your radar?

SuperUser
Kudos: 8742
Solutions: 1489

Re: DHCP and static IP addrs on WAN port.

Huh?

To keep a connection alive, why not a continuous

ping from somewhere?   Dav

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Emerging Member
Kudos: 32
Solutions: 2

I'm not privy to their internal network configs so I can't be sure  but I think they use the dhcp requests and the periodic EAPOL 802.x exchange to keep your connection active.  if you don't renew then they block you.

perhaps what I could do is only configure the statics on the interface and then manually run dhclient on that same interface. 

Thanks!

Rob.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5144
Solutions: 1458

@freyder wrote:

ATT Gigapower actively markets their static ip blocks but sadly the ERL doesn't allow for DHCP and static ips on the same interface. 

Most devices don't Man Wink

Last I looked, AT&T still required you use their pace box as your modem (i.e. you couldn't just connect the ER directly to their ONT).  Sure, scrapping that brick would be better than "DMZ+", but oh well.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2124
Solutions: 929

If DHCP is up, do they already route packets for your subnet to you?

If so, then you can just use NAT rules , and don't have to bother about assigning addresses to WAN interface.

And when you need addresses locally on router itself (for instance VPN endpoint),  assign the address to loopback interface.