Regular Member
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
Kudos: 129
Solutions: 7
Accepted Solution

Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)

Finally got hold of a ERL, upgraded to v1.1 and set it up on site today.  Everything looks good, but all of a sudden, the dashboard stopped updating and the JavaScript console reveals:

 

WebSocket connection to 'wss://192.168.1.1/ws/stats' failed: Unexpected response code: 503

 

I still see the heartbeat.json requests succeeding.  I have not restarted the ERL yet (I would imagine that it'll resolve the issue), @UBNT-stig, @UBNT-ancheng, is there any log or something that I should look at?

 

NOTE: That other than the stats, the ERL is functioning well.

 

 


Accepted Solutions
Regular Member
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
Kudos: 129
Solutions: 7

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)


@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

If possible, can you try restarting it and see if the problem persists?


 

Restarting it resolves the issue.

 

View solution in original post


All Replies
Previous Employee
Posts: 13,551
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
Kudos: 5474
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)

Maybe take a look at the log file "/var/log/lighttpd/error.log" and see if there's anything unusual.

Regular Member
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
Kudos: 129
Solutions: 7

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)

No, there's nothing other than:

 

2013-05-06 12:17:01: (server.c.1230) logfiles cycled UID = 0 PID = 17587

 

And there's nothing in the previous log file (other than server starting).

 

Previous Employee
Posts: 13,551
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
Kudos: 5474
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)

Does the CLI window in the Web UI still work? Also is changing the configuration from the Web UI still working?

Regular Member
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
Kudos: 129
Solutions: 7

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)


@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

Does the CLI window in the Web UI still work? Also is changing the configuration from the Web UI still working?


Yes, the CLI works and I can change settings still.

Previous Employee
Posts: 13,551
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
Kudos: 5474
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)

Since the CLI window in the Web UI still works, that seems to indicate the WebSocket module is still working and so is the backend daemon that supports the CLI window. Could be a bug in the Web server or the stats handling, hard to say. If possible, can you try restarting it and see if the problem persists?

Regular Member
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
Kudos: 129
Solutions: 7

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)


@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

If possible, can you try restarting it and see if the problem persists?


 

Restarting it resolves the issue.

 

Previous Employee
Posts: 13,551
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
Kudos: 5474
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)

OK we'll keep an eye on this issue then. Thanks for reporting it.

Highlighted
Regular Member
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
Kudos: 129
Solutions: 7

Re: Dashboard/Websockets: Unexpected response code: 503 (ERL v1.1)


@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

OK we'll keep an eye on this issue then. Thanks for reporting it.


 

I am seeing something that's a bit similar ... I have seen it several times before.

 

I left the dashboard up in Chrome overnight and when I went to look at it this morning, the Tx and Rx lines on the graph have "flatlined" (i.e. they're showing a horizontal line at the same value).  I also noticed that the stats in the interface table have stopped updating.  In the JavaScript console I see:

 

Failed to load resource https://192.168.1.1/
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) https://192.168.1.1/api/edge/heartbeat.json

 

Interestingly, the pie chart *is* updating (although it's not obvious) and using the Network tab in Chrome I see the calls are continuing to /api/edge/heartbeat.json and to /.

 

There is nothing odd in the logs on the ERL and the CLI does still work.  Clicking around the tabs doesn't fix anything, but if I refresh the page it does fix the issue.  This is running the v1.1 release.