Dual WAN Seamless Load balancing ER-3 Lite

Hi all,

I am newb to networking. I have got the edge router lite and would like to configure seamless failover - load balancing with dual wans.

I am on the latest firmware 1.97 Hotfix 4 - and using the wizard, I have managed to configure and make both my wan's running.

with config as below  : 

eth0 - is ISP1 (Primary) - PPPoE connection

eth1 - is ISP2 (Failover) - DHCP

eth2  - LAN

Currently when eth0 - ISP1 is down, the failover is happening to ISP2, but it is not seamless - there is interruption in the internet access. For ex. ping's request times out, If connected to Remote desktop - I loose the RDC connection etc.

I have also made changes to watchdog - to ping 8.8.8.8 - on both eth1 and pppoe0 - also the interval for ping is changed to 1 and the failure count to 1. But still the failover is not seamless.

Request your suggestions to make the load balancing - failover seamless.

Please share the steps in details - as I am a newb.

Thanks in advance,

Raj

Veteran Member
Kudos: 885
Solutions: 314

Re: Dual WAN Seamless Load balancing ER-3 Lite

There's no such thing as a seamless failover, by definition something has got to fail in order for it to move over, hence "failover". fyi current version is 1.10.0. Good luck.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 885
Solutions: 314

The closest thing to seamless you would get is by going with some type of SDWAN provider. There may be other ways, but none that I can think of at the moment.
Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1546
Solutions: 281

As already pointed out, there's no such thing as seamless failover. May I suggest you read through TCP/IP Tutorial and Technical Overview ...you'll understand that there are session flows between user's browser and destination web server made via your active ISP. When the ISP fails, first the fail needs to be detected, second fail-over needs to happen (routing redirection) and lastly the browsing session needs to happen via secondary ISP. This takes time and the open sessions will get dropped and re-established.

Lastly, if you're too aggressive in trying to detect ISP failure i.e. pinging every second and having tolerance of one ping only you may (and will) make things worse. Pings may fail or be delayed for other reasons (i.e. your ping target is busy) and you'll cause unnecessary fail-over and immediate fail-back on your network resulting in user frustration.