Highlighted
Kudos: 4
Accepted Solution

Dual WAN failback doesn't work when an interface is disabled / enabled.

I'm running into the same issue as this person.  I've tested with version 1.10.1 and 1.10.3.  I'm helping someone troubleshoot a configuration that should be very simple.  The load-balancing wizard is run to create 2 WANs; 1 with a DHCP IP, 1 with a static IP.  The load-balancer config looks like this:

group G {                                                                      
     interface eth0 {                                                           
         weight 75                                                              
     }                                                                          
     interface eth1 {                                                           
         weight 25                                                              
     }                                                                          
     lb-local enable                                                            
     lb-local-metric-change disable                                             
 }

I disable eth1:

set interfaces ethernet eth1 disable
commit

Then I wait for a minute and re-enable it:

delete interfaces ethernet eth1 disable
commit

The watchdog for eth1 never recovers.  I've watched the traffic on the upstream gateway and there's no ICMP traffic coming from the ER on that interface.

Group G                                                                         
  eth0                                                                          
  status: Running                                                               
  pings: 265                                                                    
  fails: 0                                                                      
  run fails: 0/3                                                                
  route drops: 0                                                                
  ping gateway: ping.ubnt.com - REACHABLE                                       

eth1                                                                          
  status: Waiting on recovery (0/3)                                             
  pings: 1                                                                      
  fails: 1                                                                      
  run fails: 3/3                                                                
  route drops: 1                                                                
  ping gateway: ping.ubnt.com - DOWN                                            
  last route drop   : Sat May 12 15:59:32 2018

As soon as I reboot, it's fine:

Group G                                                                         
  eth0                                                                          
  pings: 2                                                                      

eth1                                                                          
  pings: 2                                                                      

If I block the traffic on the same interface, failback works like I'd expect.  It fails back after about 30s.

It seems like disabling the interface causes something to get stopped or unconfigured and the watchdog doesn't start pinging when the interface is re-enabled.

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 48
Solutions: 5

Re: Dual WAN failback doesn't work when an interface is disabled / enabled.

It is a bug of modifying Load-Balance configuration.

If you want to change configuration of Load-balance, you need to delete the load-balance group and reconfig again. If you delete only the Load-Balance interface, it cause some problem.

Or restart the device after changing Load-balance configuration.

We will fix it in next release.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

Same here, among other issues with LB.

For a temp fix I kill ubnt-util and it comes back.

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

i've had this exact same problem since i got my edgerouter lite 2 months ago.  i have a very simple setup configured by the wizard:  dual WAN 300mbps connections on a 50-50 load-balance. both same isp with dhcp IPs. nothing fancy.

but anytime one connection hiccups, or if i manually disable/enable a wan port, or reboot one of the modems the watchdog will set that eth port as unreachable and never recovers for that 1 WAN. i plug that wan directly into my wifi router or my pc and it does get internet immediately, but when i plug it back into edgerouter it's still set as unreachable by edgerouter watchdog (waiting on recovery 0/2). any ip i set to ping makes no difference, 8.8.8.8, opendns, pinger script, all fail

stays stuck running on the other WAN1 and getting WAN2 to run is very difficult. i've tried unplugging the WAN ethernet, disabling/enabling the WAN by dashboard, rebooting the WAN modem. all these attempts usually fail to get back the connection, but it sometimes works. disabling the working WAN1 eth somehow forces WAN2 to work sometimes. i also tried to wait it out, left for work and 8 hours later came back and watchdog still didn't restore WAN2(confirmed modem had internet before i left by connecting it to my pc, then connected it back to edgerouter) the only sure 100% way to restore WAN2 is by rebooting the edgerouter which is always my last option. i try to avoid that. after it's restored it runs fine for about 2-5 days before this happens again

i don't have the technical expertise to diagnose this problem, i'm not familiar with cli commands. just been pulling my hair out for two months.

Ubiquiti Employee

It is a bug of modifying Load-Balance configuration.

If you want to change configuration of Load-balance, you need to delete the load-balance group and reconfig again. If you delete only the Load-Balance interface, it cause some problem.

Or restart the device after changing Load-balance configuration.

We will fix it in next release.

Kudos: 6

[ Edited ]

Hows that coming along? Failover only still doesnt revert back to primary connection...

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@chapman1901 Load-balance should work well. Can you start a new thread for this issue? And please tell me more information in the new post. Which version, the device mode and your configuration (sanitized).

Sorry. Load-balance still does not support deleting interface during run time.

Kudos: 6

I should have a ticket open on it - #1335136.

I cant seem to get passed the login screen to view my ticket however. What do you mean does not support deleting interface during run time? I can never get the failover to kick back to primary connection UNLESS failover connection is powered off.

Ubiquiti Employee

@Todd The link in your post can't open. Can you write a new one here? https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/bd-p/EdgeMAX

Which FW version are you using?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

We are on  v1.10.5 and have this same issue. We were able to get it working again by pulling the cable and plugging it back in, but that's crazy!

Emerging Member

Tried this a few minutes ago with version 1.10.8 and still doesn't work.

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Do you still have this issue?

We have rewrite this load-balance feature completely in last two weeks.

Current, I am testing it. It works very well in my test environment.

If you want, I can send you a test pkg. 

Which FW version are you using?

Emerging Member

We are on v1.10.7 and the issue still exists. We have an open case for the issue and have not heard back in months.

Ubiquiti Employee

Please give me the link of the open case.

Emerging Member

Ubiquiti Employee

Sorry. I can't open the link.

I would appreciate the update too please.

Ubiquiti Employee

Please update to latest firmware. v1.10.8.

https://www.ui.com/download/edgemax

Emerging Member

Ok, I will, but @prandelicious  said that version was tried and did not work.

1.10.8 still doesn't failback and at this point we are wondering if its ever going to work.

Emerging Member

We've installed it, but can't test this until I have some after-hours time available.