Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 5247
Solutions: 78

Dying Gasp

It would be great to have the Dying Gasp functionality added to EdgeRouter and airMax equpment.  This would allow us to see when a subscriber drops offline due to power issues, vs something else and would greatly aid in troubleshooting.

A dying gasp is a message (or signal) sent by the customer premises equipment (CPE) DSL device to the digital subscriber line access multiplexer (DSLAM) when a power outage occurs.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Feature-Requests/Dying-Gasp/idc-p/2318480#M2720

SuperUser
Kudos: 8790
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 2

Re: Dying Gasp

Matt. This would require a battery in the equipment 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
SuperUser
Kudos: 10504
Solutions: 641
Contributions: 1

@mhoppes wrote:

It would be great to have the Dying Gasp functionality added to EdgeRouter and airMax equpment.  This would allow us to see when a subscriber drops offline due to power issues, vs something else and would greatly aid in troubleshooting.

A dying gasp is a message (or signal) sent by the customer premises equipment (CPE) DSL device to the digital subscriber line access multiplexer (DSLAM) when a power outage occurs.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Feature-Requests/Dying-Gasp/idc-p/2318480#M2720

As Claude said, it's a power issue.   If you just wanted the ER to send a message there might be enough residual power immediately (milliseconds) after a power outage to do that, but the radios use way too much power for that.   With DSL it's easy since the poweer needed to send the packet is very low - RF, not so much...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
SuperUser

I'm not so sure this would require a battery. The EdgeRouter should be easy to do. The Radios I feel like it could be done with a slightly larger capacitor?
SuperUser
Kudos: 8790
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 2

@mhoppes wrote:
I'm not so sure this would require a battery. The EdgeRouter should be easy to do. The Radios I feel like it could be done with a slightly larger capacitor?

Its hard enough that I don't see a cost benefit in trying to add large enough capacitors across the entire distuptively priced line to do this. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

Not all devices send that packet back. You can have it logged locally also...

SuperUser

True... even if we can't send it back... having it logged would be nice too.
Kudos: 1371
Solutions: 264

[ Edited ]

Just a thought, if you really need to log power outages then you could hack together an RPi or Arduino device connected to a small rechargeable battery that you'd add to each site you need monitor. It can even have a GSM module if real-time info during outage is needed.