Highlighted
Accepted Solution

EDGEMAX Router performance with isolated networks

Willie Howe has a great tutorial on how to isolate an IoT or guest network on the edge router. My question is, Can more than one port be isolated? Say for instance I would like to isolate ETH3 as its own network in addition to isolation ETH1 as an IoT network, Do I add ETH3 interface to DNS forwarding and to the BLOCK_IN and BLOCK_LOCAL firewall policies?

Does isolating more than one port affects the router's performance?

Is it better just to isolate one network and leave the oher ports alone?

I would appreciate any help from the experts in this forum. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 2305
Solutions: 1161

Re: EDGEMAX Router performance with isolated networks

I'd say ... no, on each interface (physical or logical) you can add the firewall policy you whish, without any significant influence on the router's performances, (of course, I don't I mean... on each interface for eg, 200+ rules bad written)
Cheers,
jonatha

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

I'd say ... no, on each interface (physical or logical) you can add the firewall policy you whish, without any significant influence on the router's performances, (of course, I don't I mean... on each interface for eg, 200+ rules bad written)
Cheers,
jonatha

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jonatha for taking the time replying to my post. Based on your answer I will be able to isolate two ports on the edge router without it affecting performance...that is to say, with properly written rules. correct?

SuperUser

Of course yes !

Emerging Member
Kudos: 74
Solutions: 10

Hi, I have written a setup guide for an ERX, which describes both isolated (document named: separate) and semi-isolated (document named: IOT) networks. The principles (probably NOT all the details) should work for other EdgeRouter models as well. The guide is offsite and is described at:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/New-ERX-AC-AP-LR-setup-guide-for-beginners/m-p/1906477

Hope this helps,

-Mike

'Mark as Solution' or Kudos as appropriate.

Thanks for your reply and the guide mjp66. I will definitely use it. Thank you!