ER-8 cant get IP address from the modem - Need help please

Hi  Guys...

- Im new with ER-8 , and  I want this router to get an IP address from my router

- PPoe is not posible because my ISP do not allow us to have the account and username to use PPoe

- I tried to follow the steps in youtube but with no  success

- What happen is after I access the router via gui, and select WAN+2LAN2  select DHCP for eth0 and put 192.168.1.1/24 for eth1 while for eth2 192.168.2.1/24 then reboot the router

- put the cable connecting to modem to eth0 and put my PC to DHCP use eth1 as my PC port

- the  i cant access the er-8 again

- i can only access the router  again if i will disconnect the cable from eht0

Can you please let me know what I need to do to use eth0 as my WAN-internet port and  eth1 to my LAN port?

BTW, i cant  also change the IP address of my modem we are not allowed to change anything from my home router which have 192.168.1.1/24 as its ip address.

hope you can help me with this issue... 

Thanks in advance !!!

Re: ER-8 cant get IP address from the modem - Need help please

Hi,
I made a little progress guys!!!
I can now connect to the internet!!!
But instead of connecting my cable from the modem to eth0
I connect it to eth1
Then from eth2 I connect a cable going to my US-8 switch
From my US-8 switch I connect again a cable going to this PC im using now
??? how can I use eth0 to be my WAN port and the other remaining ports to my other switches (ES-16-lite)
Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Kudos: 137
Solutions: 48

The most likely problem is that the Cable device is really in router mode, and it is configured to use 192.168.1.1/24 as its ip address, and giving your ER-8 an address that starts with 192.168.1 via DHCP.

@wolf20gang wrote:

- What happen is after I access the router via gui, and select WAN+2LAN2  select DHCP for eth0 and put 192.168.1.1/24 for eth1 while for eth2 192.168.2.1/24 then reboot the router

- put the cable connecting to modem to eth0 and put my PC to DHCP use eth1 as my PC port

- the  i cant access the er-8 again

- i can only access the router  again if i will disconnect the cable from eht0

Can you please let me know what I need to do to use eth0 as my WAN-internet port and  eth1 to my LAN port?

BTW, i cant  also change the IP address of my modem we are not allowed to change anything from my home router which have 192.168.1.1/24 as its ip address.

So is there some reason you must use 192.168.1.1/24 for eth1?  For example, could you use 192.168.8.3/24 for eth1?  You can override what the wizard pre-fills, just replace 192.168.1.1/24.

Thanks Ill try it now...

Sorry after changing to another network still no working... any more ideas.. thnks

[ Edited ]

Are you sure the clients on the changed network have requested a new dhcp address from the Edgerouter?

Do devices in the 192.168.2.0/24 network work?

Did you reconnect the cable modem to the eth0 interface?

Telling us it doesn't work without more details just leaves us guessing

Is this the way everything is connected?  (edited to swap ip addresses on eth1 and eth2)

Simple network.png

@wolf20gang wrote:

Can you request that the modem/router be put into "bridge" mode?  That would allow you to remove one layer of NAT.  Whether you would get a public routable global internet address on eth0 then, or if you would get a CGN (carrier grade nat) address I can't say.

If you ever want to use vpn and initiate a connection to your router from your mobile phone, having a global routable ip address (even if it is a dynamic address) will make that possible without having to have a third party connection point.

Highlighted

Hi 

After sleeping 12 hrs last morning, its already  4am when you 1st aswered my queries and I thank u!!!

- Reset the router and from the wizard I choose WAN+2LAN2 the last selection from the wizard

- and choose connect via VLAN  and 1 as the ID. Remember my modem is just giving DHCP ip add.. i'm sad@@@

- I changed Local 1 ip address to another network (192.168.10.37/24) but did not change LAN2 (192.168.2.1/24) then save

- Reboot the router put  a cable from my network switch to eth0 and put my PC cable to eth1

- BTW i will need to use eth0 for my internet to use other ports for other purpose

- I got an ip add 192.168.10.38/24 as per DCHP setup.

- I can't  access the router 192.168.10.37 .. id ont know why.. i shake my head???

- put my PC cable to LAN2 get 192.168.2.38 can ping the modem so I can access... checked its already 4:30am but i need to continue

-   From the dashboard,  (i shake my head again) saw eth0 connected  as status but  NO ip address. 

- Local2 connected with ip 192.168.2.1/24 then and packets are coming.

- From the toolbox tried to ping 192.168.1.1 (ip address of my modem) failed!!! (head shaking terrible now Man Sad

- From the Action Tab>Config saw that  from the Address  tab NO IP ADDress is selected ,  I change to USE IP address... then save

- Walla!  I got an IP add from the modem 192.168.1.7 (i m awake again and ask my girlfriend to bring hot coffee hahaha!!!!)

- ping  192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.40 my phone and 8.8.8.8 all with replied. Open browser can't browse... (shaking head again)

-  The issue should be DNS... so  I go to DHCP>Action under LAN2 >View Details>then I saw DNS1 with 192.168.2.1 while DNS2 blank so I typed 8.8.8.8

- Checked again but Chrome browser still not working...(sip my coffee to half and notice my neighbors are starting to wake.. more shaking of my head hahaha!!!

- From the dashboard I noticed that under the  eth0; (internet) eth0.1 was created like routing on the stick with Cisco devices (sub-interface).

- Click Action> under the address NO IP address was selected) so I change to use DHCP.

- Walla !!!! INternet is back !!! 

Just a quick question...

- I want to use eth1 to connect to my local LAN but if I will use this port  issue is back. Do you have an  idea or workaround on this?

-   Can you help me get the show run of my router rith now? I want to see the  config of LAN2 which is the only port that is working.   I still have 7 ports to use to connect the ES-16-lite switches.

- If you want I can pastew here the current config of my router?

- Last thing is the correect way to config hte router if your modem can only give DHCP, NO PPOe or if we are NOT allowed to change anything from the modem.  Any comments??? ZZzzzzz Man Happy

Thanks man for the patience!!!  Wolf20ganG

Why did you choose to use vlan on your eth0 interface?  That is only if the there is a device that is using tagged vlans.

I think the easiest thing is to backup your config, then use the wizard again, and specify the two local networks you want to use, and let it create the basic firewall and two dhcp servers for your networks.

To backup, GUI select System at bottom, then 

Backup EdgeRouter GUI.PNG

The wizard will allow you to configure multiple LANs, in this example would create 192.168.10.1/24 on eth1 and 192.168.20.1/24 on eth2.  You can use whatever non-conflicting neworks you want

Setup1.PNGSetup2.PNG

I recommend using the "Create new admin user" and leaving "Keep existing users" unselected, so the ubnt/ubnt is deleted (not changing password on the default admin account is the primary way routers get broken into)

After rebooting, you should have a usable config.

Then if you have question, then we will need you to post your config.  If you have putty installed on your pc, this is an easy way to get a postable config: 

show configuration | cat

That will do some of the sanitation, but see this for the official way to get and sanitize config 

EdgeRouter - How to Post Configurations on the EdgeRouter Community Forums but when you post please do this

Posting configs.PNG

Hi Buck,

- This is my current config that only LAN2 (192.168.2.0 ) is working to use the internet.

- I will use the wizard again and will use DHCP instead the change the ip network from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.100.254/24 for LAN1.

- will send the new config after following your steps.

thanks...