Highlighted
Kudos: 51
Solutions: 3
Accepted Solution

ER-8Pro vs ER-6P

I'm about to order a multiple WAN Edge Router, to handle 2x VDSL connections, and connect to our existing MikroTik. PoE not required.

My question is, what's the performance difference between:

2 CPU cores + 2GB RAM

vs

4 CPU cores + 1GB RAM ?

I imagine 4 cores would outperform 2 cores, even with half the RAM?

Cheers

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 11109
Solutions: 686
Contributions: 1

Re: ER-8Pro vs ER-6P

@lowlanda wrote:

I'm about to order a multiple WAN Edge Router, to handle 2x VDSL connections, and connect to our existing MikroTik. PoE not required.

2 CPU cores + 2GB RAM

vs

4 CPU cores + 1GB RAM ?

Cheers

Very much so.   Several years ago we used two ER-8 Pros for the core routers of our ISP network, connecting to our upstream Carriers with multiple Gigabit fiber connections.   The ER-8s (running in parallel for redundancy and load sharing) were running out of CPU power - on busy hour in the network we were experiencing dropped packets and overloaded interrupts in the routers.   We temporarily replaced them with a new (actually Alpha at the time) ER-6P I had just received.   It was easily able to handle the entire load of our whole ISP, even during the notorious day of MicroSoft's unannounced Office-360 worldwide update - the single ER6P handled the traffic that 2 ER-8s were choking on, only hitting a peak of 45% CPU at worst.   This was running full BGP routes, OSPF, etc.  Which is way more load than any average user will ever see.

You will be much happier with the ER6P

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

@lowlanda wrote:

2 CPU cores + 2GB RAM

vs

4 CPU cores + 1GB RAM ?

Cheers

Very much so.   Several years ago we used two ER-8 Pros for the core routers of our ISP network, connecting to our upstream Carriers with multiple Gigabit fiber connections.   The ER-8s (running in parallel for redundancy and load sharing) were running out of CPU power - on busy hour in the network we were experiencing dropped packets and overloaded interrupts in the routers.   We temporarily replaced them with a new (actually Alpha at the time) ER-6P I had just received.   It was easily able to handle the entire load of our whole ISP, even during the notorious day of MicroSoft's unannounced Office-360 worldwide update - the single ER6P handled the traffic that 2 ER-8s were choking on, only hitting a peak of 45% CPU at worst.   This was running full BGP routes, OSPF, etc.  Which is way more load than any average user will ever see.

You will be much happier with the ER6P

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 51
Solutions: 3

, you sir need to be thanked!

Thank you Man Happy

SuperUser

@lowlanda wrote:

, you sir need to be thanked!

Thank you Man Happy

You are very welcome

Jim