06-05-2017 10:58 AM
Hello There to all of you ;
I would appreciate some advice from you concerning my future Home network that I'm setting up, being new to Ubiquiti.
// For the backstory : I've always struggled with my home network ; The Wifi from my ISP is random, the router is a joke, and my local network suffers from that. Inside of which, I have 2 servers, 1 Plex media server, and several items on Wifi, including 2 Plex client (actually, one is on LAN and the other on Wifi).
// This weekend, the ISP box crashed again. And when it crashes, I have to reset back to default the settings for it to work again. This is pretty annoying. So I took the leap and ordered several things :
- 1 EdgeRouter ER8
- 1 Ubiquiti AmpliFi
I would like to use the EdgeRouter to connect my things correctly ; Here's what I had in mind :
- Eth0 - WAN (I ordered my Fixed IP for that)
- Eth 1 - 192.168.1.1/24 - Would be my primary subnet
- Eth 2-6 - Will be using those in the future.
- Eth 7 - 192.168.2.1/24 - This would be the Amplifi subnet
Now, I've got several questions if you don't mine :
- I have a Synology DS1815+ acting as a backup server. I'm currently using it with LACP and Failover (3 LACP + 1 failover ; It has 4 Ethernet ports). I understand that the Edgerouter doesn't really do LACP but Load balancing/Bonding/Bridging. In each exemple that I saw, the load balance was set on WAN connections, and Bondig/Bridging is not recommended in the ER8 since it's software based ; So, if I'm correct ; It's not possible to do load balancing with the NAS directly connected to the ER8 on Eth5-6, right ?
I do know this is pure nonsense, and that the proper way to do this would be to connect the Eth6 to a switch, which would give me the LACP function ; But if I connect my Plex server and the other server on the same switch, I will be limited to 1 gb/s connection from the outside... And I do notice some struggle when the 3 are on the same switch because of the traffic in/out (which is actually the case up until next week... I hope...).
Now, maybe it's the switch that's not good enough (Netgear ProSafe 24p w LACP), but this seems odd to me....
Also, I could use one subnet per server, but this would be a NATmare (.... got it ? ). And not very practical... right ?
If this is truely not the way to go, what would you recommand ?
- And finaly, that's actually purely knowledge-based : Is there a way to use WOW/WOL with the ER8 ? It would be cool to wake some equipements from outside ; Since I didn't saw anything about that, I'm asking.
Thanks A LOT for your answers ; I can't wait to set up these bad boys !
Have a nice day all ;