ERPro-8 vs ER-12 vs ER-6p for datacenter uplink and VPN hub

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

we currently plan on replacing our old datacenter border router (SRX240H2) with a Ubiquity product. We Use ERPro-8 in a branch office and a ER-Lite in another office. The first of the offices has a 1Gbit fiber connection and is connected to the datacenter via IPsec for little bit of internal traffic. On the datacenter router we have 1 uplink port and two internal ports. One without Vlan tagging and one with 3 tagged internal vlans. I am currently leaning agains another ERPro-8 and towards the new hardware generation (ER-6p/ER-12). IPsec performance should be nearly the same for all three and around 500Mbit/s under optimal situation and this is more than OK for our usecase. We don't do BGP so the 1G ram should be OK. The last thing that I do not understand fully is the hardware switched ports. Does that mean that I should expect less performance when using the tagged vlans on the internal port? Should I therefore prefer the ER-12 over the ER-6p?

Kind regards

Clemens

Re: ERPro-8 vs ER-12 vs ER-6p for datacenter uplink and VPN hub

Is noone here with a opinion on this topic?

Established Member
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 50

The ER4/6P ( all routed ports newer platform) would be a step up form the ER8.

So you would expect no performance gain when using the ER-12?

Established Member
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 50

ER12. Same CPU and memory as a ER4/6P, but it has built in switch ports. Depends what you need / want I guess. I would go for the ER4/6P, depends on how many ports you need..

Highlighted

I don't need that much ports but I need three vlans on one port and don't know if I would gain performance to the router when the port is switched.