SuperUser
Kudos: 2017
Solutions: 28

Edge Router Lite with V1.02 - TC performance

I have been testing two sites with Edge Router Lites for the past two weeks or so using TC. I have been happy with the testing and have yet to have any complaints from the customers on Voip traffic.

Site Config's

(4) Client Sectors
M2 Sectors @10mhz channels with 20-30 clients per AP with WPA2-AES
Signals range from -51 to -70 and connection rates 32/32 or higher on all units and Airmax enabled values all above 75-80%
Firmware 5.5.2 on all units

(2) BH's with OSPF for Failover
M5 ptp's @20mhz and testing 50-60 from router to router
Airmax PTP Mode 5.5.2

I have included part of my config as entered in ssh. I would be willing to share the full config if anyone is interested. These sites have 20-25 clients per sector and the primary bh averages 30-40mb during peak hours.

Config via cli
Interfaces defined on ERL V1.0.2

Eth0 192.168.1.1/24 dhcp
Eth0.2 Vlan 2 Sector-1 10.0.0.1/24
Eth0.3 vlan 3 Sector-2 10.0.1.1/24
Eth0.4-vlan 4 Sector-3 10.0.2.1/24
Eth0.5-vlan 5 Sector-4 10.0.3.1/24
Eth1 trunk to TS-PRO
Eth2 not assigned
Eth2.6 vlan 6 BH-1 10.0.10.1/30
Eth2.7 vlan 7 BH-2 10.0.11.1/30

Sector s 1-4 have the following configs ( Sector / interface values changed per interface):
Commands used via cli for each interface
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 description QoS
policy Wisp Sector-1
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 bandwidth 25000kbit ( I used 75-80% of peak xfer tests as baseline for testing one could argue to use 100% but it s my test )
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 10 bandwidth 10%
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 10 ceiling 30%
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 10 match VOIP‐RTP ip dscp 46
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 11 description VOIP ‐SIP traffic Sector-1
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 11 bandwidth 5%
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 11 ceiling 30%
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 11 match VOIP‐SIP ip dscp 26
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 12 description SNMP Backbone Sector-1
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 12 bandwidth 2%
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 12 ceiling 15%
set traffic‐policy shaper Sector-1 class 12 match BACKBONE ip source 172.16.0.x/22
set traffic-policy shaper Sector-1 default bandwidth 83%
set traffic-policy shaper Sector-1 default ceiling 100%

Notes:
Customer Plans range from 1-6 meg.

Test 1:
I saturated sector 1 by doing a ftp transfer of 2tb to a laptop on a cpe (airmax=high) connected to sector-1 from a server at the noc. During the test the ap was pushing 19-21 (near max at 10mhz ). During the loading I used a Cisco IP Phone registered with a pbx at the noc connected via cpe2 on same sector with Airmax=high.

Sector 1 = load 19-21 meg
BH1 = 25-30 meg

Results call quality remained even under loading and not drops or jitter was observed.

Test 2:
Same as test once except a second laptop was connected to sector 2 and ftp to a server at the noc. BH1 Load increased to 40-50 meg however latency remained low.

Sector 1 = 15-17 meg
Sector 2 = 12-16 meg
BH1 - 40 - 50 peaked at 55 meg 9 some traffic was on sectors 3-4

Results call quality remained even under loading and no drops or jitter was observed.

Observations:

The Edge Router Lite handled the traffic without noticeable effort. Now at the time we only had a handful of clients with ip phones connected to our pbx's and the customers never noticed the loading or called in.

Any tech testing via and cpes's speedtest on the sector killed performance and caused major voip issues Man Happy. As expected and my techs are no longer allowed to test from cpe to ap's only via iperf to noc from laptop or to a mini speedtest site I have internally. Again this is not a surprise but was mentioned as I observed and had to find the cause while I was testing. Banghead

Requests .

1 - Could there be a check that if the AP is connected to disallow the speed test? My techs have access to a read only account on the ap's and allows speed tests.

2 - External config builder or simple import? IE9 / Firefox to cli did not allow paste. SSH Session turned all _'s to ?'. Gets old fast Man Happy

3 - SNMP support to read vlan loading and even traffic‐policy shaper values? Would be useful for tweaking bw allocation and viewing loading ( bandwidth and pps values ).
UBRSS, UBWA, UEWA - Ubiquiti Certified Trainer
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3141
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Re: Edge Router Lite with V1.02 - TC performance

Requests .

1 - Could there be a check that if the AP is connected to disallow the speed test? My techs have access to a read only account on the ap's and allows speed tests.
Not sure I understand, can you go into more detail?

2 - External config builder or simple import? IE9 / Firefox to cli did not allow paste. SSH Session turned all _'s to ?'. Gets old fast Man Happy
I'm still stumped on this one. We did have an issue with firefox eating '-' and '_' in the CLI window, but that's fixed and I've never seen that in ssh. What is the ssh client?

3 - SNMP support to read vlan loading and even traffic‐policy shaper values? Would be useful for tweaking bw allocation and viewing loading ( bandwidth and pps values ).
Sounds useful. I'll suggest this to the guys defining the enterprise MIB.
EdgeMAX Router Software Development
SuperUser

Not sure I understand, can you go into more detail?
I'm still stumped on this one. We did have an issue with firefox eating '-' and '_' in the CLI window, but that's fixed and I've never seen that in ssh. What is the ssh client?
Sounds useful. I'll suggest this to the guys defining the enterprise MIB.

The speed test in the cpe's and the ap's. If a tech does a test unrestricted speed test on a cpe to the ap it maxes the sector. As the AP doesnt care about QoS or TC and just forwards traffic.

Just using Putty for winders ....

Thanks and I hope it makes it to the mib.... Any Idea when we are getting an updated mib?
Previous Employee

The speed test in the cpe's and the ap's. If a tech does a test unrestricted speed test on a cpe to the ap it maxes the sector. As the AP doesnt care about QoS or TC and just forwards traffic.

Just using Putty for winders ....

Thanks and I hope it makes it to the mib.... Any Idea when we are getting an updated mib?
Ah, so the speedtest thing is an airOS request.

I don't use "winders" much, but I'll give it a try with putty tomorrow.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7932
Solutions: 233

that's what we call that steaming pile of dung here in Ky Man Very Happy
-sent via tapatalk

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
SuperUser

Ah, so the speedtest thing is an airOS request. lol sorry you got me ... I will submit a request to that team

For me winders is a necessity due to vmware vsphere and a few specific apps I use. I was tired of the duel boot headache.
SuperUser

Yes and i'm sure its in part to due with the cpu on the ap being taxed.
Established Member
Kudos: 77

You can also install putty on linux.
Previous Employee

Well, I just tried using Putty (0.60) on an old Windows XP box to ssh to my home EdgeRouter Lite and couldn't reproduce the problem with '_'. So still puzzled...
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5474
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Could it be related to the key mapping in the client? At least that was the problem when we had issues with CLI in Firefox (Firefox decided to change their key mapping).

You can also edit a config file and then "load" it on the router. Not sure if that's what you mean by "import"?
SuperUser

Could it be related to the key mapping in the client? At least that was the problem when we had issues with CLI in Firefox (Firefox decided to change their key mapping).

You can also edit a config file and then "load" it on the router. Not sure if that's what you mean by "import"?

May be I will check however it works fine on my Nexus just not winders 7 on my laptop.

Hello , I just got today and Router Liet with V 1.1.0, could you please share with me the full config file that you are currently running ?

I have a simple setup , my whole goal is to be able to prioritze the traffic and have reliable VOIP calls no matter what is going on on the pipe , also SSH, RDP, 443, 4569, 5060-5069, 53, IMAP, 25 , I guess thats the basic list and with priority over the SIP/IAX2 ports.

Please let me know, thats in advanced

How is it working for you recently ?  Im switching from an Mikrotik 750RB