Kudos: 1

Edge Router & Synology NAS - Internet connection - NAT rules

Hey guys!

I have a new Synology NAS and an iMac Pro behind it.

The  Nas has a 10gbe card - which is connected directly on another subnet to the iMac Pro.
On the other ports of the NAS - there is another 1GBe enivronment - which is connected to the Edge Router.

Since i only have one cable up to my office - i wann connect the mac to the faster network , but still get Internet from the other subnet.

I did successfully set up a static route from the ER to the NAS.

I could access the NAS when i'm on the network from the Edge Router.

From the Mac tough, i don't get access back to the Edge router.
I think this might be a wrong configuration of NAT Rules?

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-05 um 23.35.57.png

ETH1 Is the Interface with the 192.168.1.1 Server (goes into a Switch, and then to the NAS and the rest of the network).

iMac: 172.16.0.20

NAS: 172.16.0.10
ER: 192.168.1.1

NAS (ER Network) 192.168.1.67

Could anybody help?

Kudos: 126
Solutions: 52

Re: Edge Router & Synology NAS - Internet connection - NAT rules

If I correctly understand the way you have things wired, you have the NAS between your iMac and your ER.  In that case, the issue has nothing to do with the ER.  You would need to configure the NAS to route packets from the 172.16.0.0 subnet to the 192.168.1.0 subnet.  The NAS is not a router though, so that's not a great way to set it up.

You shouldn't need a static route on the ER to reach the NAS either (on 192.168.1.67 anyway), as the NAS is connected directly to the ER.

You could buy a 10 gbe switch and connect the ER, the NAS, and the iMac to that switch. You can have everything on one subnet if you want.

Kudos: 1

Hi there!

Yes, the NAS is between the iMac and the Edge Router.

The Nas has one network card with one port (10 GBe - 172.16.0.0/24 Subnet)

The 1GBe Subnet is seperated (1 cable connected to the Edge Router subnet 192.168.1.0/24)

I could ping from the iMac to the NAS on the 1GBe Network (192.168.1.67) and vice versa.

I drawed a map to clarify things :-)

IMG_0762.jpg

Currently, i can't buy another 10GBe Switch - thats not in my budget.

Before i get a second cable up to the office - i wanted to try this solution.

Kudos: 126
Solutions: 52

OK.  Then what I wrote in my first post stands.

The lack of connectivity between the iMac and ER has nothing to do with the ER.  Unless you change the wiring, you would need to configure your NAS to route packets between the 172.16.0.0 and 192.168.1.0 subnets.  The NAS is not a router, so that's not a great way to set it up.

The best solution is to buy a switch with at least two 10 gbe ports and connect the NAS and iMac to that switch, along with the ER.

Another solution is to leave things wired as-is for now and just use the iMac's WiFi to get Internet. (Assuming you have an AP connected to the ER.)