Kudos: 11
Solutions: 2

Re: EdgeMAX EdgeRouter software version v1.10.0 has been released!

I upgraded my Edgeroute Lite-3 this morning from 1.9.7+hotfix 4 and lost both BGP routes to the AWS VPN. This persisted through several reboots of the ERL3. After reverting back to the 1.9.7+hotfix 4 version, the BGP routes came back. Anyone else experiencing issues in this area?

Kudos: 50
Solutions: 3

Just upgraded to v1.10.0 on ER-X. Compared to v1.9.1.1, quick observations

Good:

- DPI always works with HW offload enabled regardless QoS used or not

- configuration change takes much shorter time to commit

Not so good:

- DPI loses "ntp" in custom app categories (why..?)

- For advanced queue, the trick that two separate root queues for better throughput no longer valid. Basically same as everything going through one root queue (i.e. attach-to global). Not much complaint here...

For ppl complained lost configuration, here may be the reason:

Seems each image has its own copy of /config after installation. If you had switched images and done modifications to /config, the content will be out of sync. I'm not exactly sure if this is intended behavior. I experienced it myself with v1.9.1.1 and v1.10.0-beta.3. Before upgrading to v1.10.0 release, I reboot into v1.9.1.1 (as I want to keep this image), delete the v1.10 beta and install the release. Found out that I didn't get changes I made to /config in v1.10-beta.3. I do have regular backup's so not a big issue but hassle.

Would be good if a single /config partition is shared among all installed images. Perhaps with proper versioning to identify the right "config.boot" to load as it might be a hurdle to such a goal. If not quick to implement, warn users before upgrade about possible out of sync /config as an intermediate step.

Kudos: 139
Solutions: 57

I had some trouble with getting the update to apply, but no issues once it actually happened (ER-X coming from 1.9.7 + hf4).

I noticed that the iOS based UNMS app had picked up the firmware update, so I attempted to apply it from the app. It downloaded the update (I'm guessing stored locally on the iOS device), but then failed to transfer it properly on the first attempt. After that, it did manage to hit 100% of the transfer, but would not seemingly apply the update, giving an error:

Error: The operation couldn't be completed. ObjectMapper failed to serialize response.

I attempted a few times, getting the same error each time. The router never went offline or restarted.

So I used my computer to downloaded the firmware and attempted to install it via the web UI. This also resulted in an error:

System Upgrade Failed. There was an error upgrading the system.

I ssh'd into the box, checked space available with df -h and for good measure tried to 'delete system image' which is what actually revealed the issue... it actually indicated that the image had been applied but that a restart was required to perform the update (I don't remember the actual message contents). So a quick restart and my ER-X is happy on 1.10.0. So I think that the issue was a glitch with the iOS app that didn't properly prompt for (or force) a restart, so the system was kind of in a state of limbo.

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

installed on 2x ER-PoE and 2x ER-X by UNMS and they seem fine.

One thing I realzied was that L2TPv3 interfaces are completely removed after rebooting. I'm not sure if it is due to v1.10.0 though....

Kudos: 4

[ Edited ]

Updated 2 of my ERL3.

Unit 1:

- Main unit with L2TP IPSEC has no issues - previously had problems connecting

- Have not fully tested the speeds on L2TP/IPSEC

Unit 2:

- Unit with site to site VPNs - (previous firmwares couldn't re-negotiate after firmware upgrade had to do a downgrade back to 1.8.5) negotiated well with ikev2 (other end being a Fortigate firewall)

- Speed increase from 85Mbps to approximately 94-95Mbps 
(my end being 1Gbps symmetrical fiber & other end being 500Mbps fiber)

I looked at the code and it seems static-arp is applicable to dhcpd only. It doesn't do anything if dnsmasq is used. Is that correct?

UBNT-afomins wrote:

@iv
> The "Discussed here" links to threads appear to be broken (not linked).
@storrgie
> many of the reference links are not in the release post (e.g. "discussed here").
I had to remove all "Discussed here" links otherwise I was not able to make blog post because it exceedes 20K char limit. I will put back those links as soon as web support team fixes 20K char limit.

+9000

Hello all,

what could that mean? It never happens before 1.10

ubnt kernel: Process 2115 (sudo) has crashed (parent 2114 (sudo) signal 11, code 128, addr (null)), coredumps disabled

-faxxe

Emerging Member
Kudos: 11

Upgraded ER-Lite from the iPhone app.  worked perfectly.

Ian..

wrote:

I had some trouble with getting the update to apply, but no issues once it actually happened (ER-X coming from 1.9.7 + hf4).

I noticed that the iOS based UNMS app had picked up the firmware update, so I attempted to apply it from the app. It downloaded the update (I'm guessing stored locally on the iOS device), but then failed to transfer it properly on the first attempt. After that, it did manage to hit 100% of the transfer, but would not seemingly apply the update, giving an error:

Error: The operation couldn't be completed. ObjectMapper failed to serialize response.

I attempted a few times, getting the same error each time. The router never went offline or restarted.

So I used my computer to downloaded the firmware and attempted to install it via the web UI. This also resulted in an error:

System Upgrade Failed. There was an error upgrading the system.

I ssh'd into the box, checked space available with df -h and for good measure tried to 'delete system image' which is what actually revealed the issue... it actually indicated that the image had been applied but that a restart was required to perform the update (I don't remember the actual message contents). So a quick restart and my ER-X is happy on 1.10.0. So I think that the issue was a glitch with the iOS app that didn't properly prompt for (or force) a restart, so the system was kind of in a state of limbo.

Exactly same experiance for me, except I didn't get around to trying a reboot till I read your post.  

So far 1.10.0 seems to be working well.

Kudos: 1

Very new to ER-X. Setup went well and there's a lot of excellent info from the community.

One thing I can't figure out is how to check for new firmware updates/sign up for notifications so I can stay on top of security fixes. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have installed 1.10.0 in my ER-X SFP router. I have one issue, when publishing to UNMS, the router is not aware that I have absolutely to use double-NAT, so it sends a LAN IP instead of finding out what the real external IP address is.

My setup is this way, because of residential fiber provider who only provides routers, not gateways, and we are stuck with getting a LAN IP address. I have to use UBNT router because of very good pricing and the ability to setup internet sharing with VLANS.

Can you help us by having edgeMAX the ability to find real external IP ?

Thanks.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 35

@UBNT-afomins Just to follow up on my bricked ER-X-SFP, yes the factory reset was attempted several times and that didn't resolve the issue. My TTL cable arrived by the time I had time to work on it and the console output indicated that boot image was corrupt so I just followed a TTL recovery procedure and it went fine.

I immediately restored the last good config from my UNMS and it's been sitting in the office between a UVC-G3 and the NVR moving all of that video traffic without issue. It will be re-deployed this week most likely.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 35

[ Edited ]

@teckdan Do you have a UniFi device on the network? The controller logs in UniFi will show the public IP of the network the device is informing from.

[ Edited ]

@ccagan no, it's my first setup with edgeMAX. I have not worked with Unifi yet. I am experienced with AirMAX.

The virtual interface vti cannot be restored.

Reproduce steps:

1. Backup a 1.10 working config

1. Restore to 1.10 factory default.

2. Restore the backup

Device: ER5-POE

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 947
Solutions: 71

@pvklink
> i upgraded my er-x 6 days ago and at the moment all my clients lost connectivity, i think no dhcp....

1. What makes you think it is DHCP?
  2. Do you LAN clients have IP address?
  3. Can you login ER from LAN?
  4. Does ER have IP address on WAN interface?

@1enginepilot
> I checked my logs and started seeing the following, doesn't seem to impact the performance of the router,
> Feb 6 21:02:42 Home-ERL kernel: skbuff: Gotcha2 8000000419669000 8000000419669142 -4
> Feb 6 21:02:42 Home-ERL kernel: Call Trace:
> Feb 6 21:02:42 Home-ERL kernel: [<ffffffffc006f0a4>] show_stack+0x6c/0xf8
> Feb 6 21:02:42 Home-ERL kernel: [<ffffffffc032423c>] skb_push+0xa4/0xb0
I have not seen this king of errors before.

1. What's your ER model?
  2. Is offloading enabled?
  3. How often do you see such errors?

> doesn't seem to impact the performance of the router, 

4) Are you 100% sure that ER did not reboot? Please check uptime of the router.

@johntankard
> after the successful installation and reboot of the router our L2TP VPN setup had been totally deleted from the router
@HanzS
> Yep happened to me too.

1. Please show your L2TP configutation
  2. Please show output of "cat /var/log/vyatta/vyatta-commit.log"

@finality
> i don't have access to the beta site. Is it possible to upgrade the device again via ssh recovery?
You have following options:

1. Reset to factory default settings -> https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205202620-EdgeRouter-Reset-router-to-factory-defaults
  2. Try recover vi assh-recovery:
    1. Geta beta access -> https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Early-Access
    2. read instructions -> https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Beta/new-feature-explaining-ssh-recovery-service-in-v1-10-0-al...

@Delta313
> Is this new software ready for release?
Yes, it is ready for relase. I will it add it to http://download.ubnt.com/ today

@ryanm
> On the EP-R6, where are VLANS managed on switch0? I can no longer locate those.
This is how you set VLAN 42 on switch0:

configure
set interfaces switch switch0 vif 42 address 10.1.1.42/24
commit
save

@n0dyjeff
> ... lost both BGP routes to the AWS VPN
Can you please enable debug logs:

set system syslog global facility protocols level debug

and show BGP status when BGP routes are lost:

show ip bgp summary
ps ax|grep bgp
cat /var/log/messages|grep bgp

@osayb
> One thing I realzied was that L2TPv3 interfaces are completely removed after rebooting. I'm not sure if it is due to v1.10.0 though....

1. Please show L2TPv3 interface configuration
  2. Please show output of "cat /var/log/vyatta/vyatta-commit.log"

@PatrickLI
> I looked at the code and it seems static-arp is applicable to dhcpd only. It doesn't do anything if dnsmasq is used. Is that correct?
You are right, it's for ISC dhcpd only. This option does not work with dnsmasq DHCP

@faxxe
> what could that mean? It never happens before 1.10
> ubnt kernel: Process 2115 (sudo) has crashed (parent 2114 (sudo) signal 11, code 128, addr (null)), coredumps disabled
Actually this did happen in all previous f/w versions, but you did not notice that because there was no error message in syslog.
This is a known issue and it will be fixed in future release and until then you can simply ignore this message.

@xwired
> how to check for new firmware updates/sign up for notifications so I can stay on top of security fixes
You have 2 options:

1. Oldschool - sign up for RSS updates in EdgeMAX blog -> https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Updates-Blog/bg-p/Blog_EdgeMAX
  2. Newschool - use UNMS mobile app to manage your UBNT devices

@teckdan
> when publishing to UNMS, the router is not aware that I have absolutely to use double-NAT, so it sends a LAN IP instead of finding out what the real external IP address is.

> Can you help us by having edgeMAX the ability to find real external IP ?
I don't understand you question. What dou you mean by "... sends a LAN IP instead of finding out what the real external IP address is.."? Wwhy do you need to know "real external IP address"?

@ccaga
> my bricked ER-X-SFP,
> console output indicated that boot image was corrupt
What was the console message exactly?

@gnought_us
> The virtual interface vti cannot be restored.
Please post VTI configuration that you can not restore in `1.10.0`

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-afomins,

see attached. Anyways, all devices under UNMS have the same problem, they all publish LAN IPs instead of real external IPs, no way to access the web pages of each device.

LAN IPs :10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16

The ER-X SFP router is behind another router, no choice, because the residential Fibe provider, to my actual knowledge doesn't offer a gateway that allows to pass on the external IP to the ER-X router. I have yet 2 tests to perform. PPPOE passthrough if option is available inside the Fibe router, and the other option is to remove the Fibe router and connect directly into the Fibe-to-Ethernet converter and use PPPOE. I'm not sure that I'm going to succeed.

ubnt capture.png
Kudos: 20

@UBNT-afomins

Apologies for my confusion. I'm not wanting to create IPs or interfaces on a VLAN, I'm looking to continue to allow tagged vlans 1,3,5 on eth0 and then assign vlan 3 to eth1 and vlan 3,5 to eth2. I can no longer locate the GUI function to control VLAN untagging/tagging since the upgrade to 1.10

--------------
ryanm
> On the EP-R6, where are VLANS managed on switch0? I can no longer locate those.
This is how you set VLAN 42 on switch0:

Kudos: 28
Solutions: 4

@UBNT-afomins 

I have not seen this kind of errors before.

1. What's your ER model? - EdgeRouter Lite-3
  2. Is offloading enabled? Yes
  3. How often do you see such errors? 36 times since I rebooted the router on Feb 9th. I can DM you the config and log if you want.
  4. Router has not reloaded itself