Kudos: 1

Re: EdgeMAX EdgeRouter software version v2.0.0 has been released!

Lighthttpd will not come up when upgrading to 2.0

root@thomas:/etc/ssl# /usr/sbin/lighttpd -f /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
2019-01-08 01:01:34: (configfile.c.60) Warning: please add "mod_openssl" to server.modules list in lighttpd.conf. A future release of lighttpd 1.4.x *will not* automatically load mod_openssl and lighttpd *will not* use SSL/TLS where your lighttpd.conf contains ssl.* directives
2019-01-08 01:01:34: (plugin.c.229) dlopen() failed for: /usr/lib/lighttpd/mod_websocket.so /usr/lib/lighttpd/mod_websocket.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
2019-01-08 01:01:34: (server.c.1142) loading plugins finally failed

I can help myself, but just that you know.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

Issues like this should not exsit in a GA release.

Kudos: 1

I agree. I mean adding the conf for ssl is not an issue but the websocket.so was not shipped so you have to organize it. An w/o the websocket you will not see any stats... etc.

Kudos: 7

It looks more like a early beta release..

I will stick to 1.10.8 for a while.

This problem with the ER-X, the problems with the newer firmwares in the UAP's... what's happening at ubiquiti?

Established Member
Kudos: 246
Solutions: 89

@ltcdata
It's a massive change going to 2.0 - and while I would have preferred a couple of beta releases more, I'll look positively at the upgrade.
And similar with UAP 4.x, which is also a massive change.
Hopefully kinks will get worked out soon on both firmwares and we can enjoy all the benefits from the upgraded platforms.
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Upgraded a ER-X from 1.10.8 and I can confirm a total loss of IPv6 connectivity. The router is handing out IPv6 addresses, but I have no IPv6 connectivity from connected devices or directly on the router. My upstream is ATT Fiber, which is hardly an uncommon setup in the US.

For some reason IPv6 took about 10 minutes to come up on my connection, but seems to be working fine after that.

No other issues to report.

Yes, but a lot of people see "stable release" and upgraded with a lot of problems.
They should be tagged beta, or stable candidate and leave them a month or more so the kinks are worked out before big business upgrade their systems with catastrofic results.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 49

Installing a X.0 release in production on a first day is risky business. I have a Pro8 running it in a lab, while in production I am on v1.10.8. 

Releasing a major update into GA is always a good thing, since it could simmer in beta forever, but once it is release, there is more pressure on Devs to fix remaining issues. It also helps discover new issues with larger user base that volunteers to upgrade without a good reason for an upgrade.

Had a failed update from 2.0.0-beta1 on my ER-X SFP. Bricked to the point where I had to open in up and do a TFTP recovery. So if you're in the same position, take caution.

Of note, it looks like the new bootloader does have a similar TFTP recovery mode to UniFi/airMAX products, where there's a TFTP server listening on 192.168.1.20 on eth0, but whatever file you're supposed to put here is checked for compatibility, so you can't use an OpenWRT initramfs, and UBNT doesn't seem to have made a compatible recovery image avaliable. Hopefully this is something that will be possible in the future to avoid having to open the device and use the serial console.

For anyone wondering, there seems to be a new light sequence associated with the TFTP recovery, at least on the ER-X SFP. I didn't take note of the exact sequence, unfortunately, but it seemed to be alternating odd/even ethernet LEDs to indicate this mode.

Further to this, once I got back to a factory 2.0.0 state, I reloaded a configuration file I had from a few months ago, which commited fine, and I was able to connect again from the interface/IP set in the config to save and reboot, but after the reboot, the web GUI didn't come back up, and SSH was denying logins. I suspect this may have been because the config I uploaded didn't contain the custom SSL certs or custom scripts that are run in a cron job. Even still, it seems bad to have no administrative access to the device in this case. (I eventually realized that UNMS makes full config archive backups of the device, and factory reset one more time and restored the full config backup).

Logs from the attempted upgrade in the CLI. The upgrade failed, so I was going to try again after a fresh reboot, but it would not boot:

Spoiler
sam@domus:~$ show system image                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
The system currently has the following image(s) installed:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

v2.0.0-beta.1.5132607.181017.1318 (running image) (default boot)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
v1.10.7.5127989.181001.1227

sam@domus:~$ show system image storage
Image name                        Read-Only   Read-Write        Total
------------------------------ ------------ ------------ ------------
v2.0.0-beta.1.5132607.181017.1318        80316         3780        84096
v1.10.7.5127989.181001.1227           78500         1136        79636
sam@domus:~$ delete system image

v1.10.7.5127989.181001.1227

You are about to delete image [v1.10.7.5127989.181001.1227]
Are you sure you want to delete ? (Yes/No) [Yes]:
Removing old image... Done
sam@domus:~$ df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi0_0                  214.9M     78.5M    131.7M  37% /root.dev
overlay                 214.9M     78.5M    131.7M  37% /
devtmpfs                123.0M         0    123.0M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   123.7M         0    123.7M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                   123.7M     14.2M    109.5M  12% /run
tmpfs                     5.0M         0      5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                   123.7M         0    123.7M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                   123.7M      4.0K    123.7M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                   123.7M         0    123.7M   0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs                   123.7M         0    123.7M   0% /run/shm
tmpfs                   123.7M    812.0K    122.9M   1% /var/log
none                    123.7M      1.3M    122.4M   1% /opt/vyatta/config
overlay                 123.7M      4.0K    123.7M   0% /opt/vyatta/config/tmp/new_config_67c6697351ff4aec29cdbaabf2fbe346
tmpfs                    24.7M         0     24.7M   0% /run/user/1000
sam@domus:~$ add system image https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/edgemax/v2.0.x/ER-e50.v2.0.0.5155111.tar
Trying to get upgrade file from https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/edgemax/v2.0.x/ER-e50.v2.0.0.5155111.tar
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 79.7M  100 79.7M    0     0  4709k      0  0:00:17  0:00:17 --:--:-- 4664k
Download succeeded
Checking upgrade image...Done
Preparing to upgrade...Done
Clearing directory /var/cache/apt (1.1M)...Done
Copying upgrade image...Done
Removing old image...Done
Checking upgrade image...Invalid checksum. Upgrade Failed.
rm: can't remove '/root.dev/squashfs.tmp.md5': Read-only file system
rm: can't remove '/root.dev/version.tmp': Read-only file system
sam@domus:~$ show system image

sam@domus:~$ delete system image

There is no image to delete.
sam@domus:~$ add system image https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/edgemax/v2.0.x/ER-e50.v2.0.0.5155111.tar
Trying to get upgrade file from https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/edgemax/v2.0.x/ER-e50.v2.0.0.5155111.tar
100 79.7M  100 79.7M    0     0  4412k      0  0:00:18  0:00:18 --:--:-- 4533k
Download succeeded
Checking upgrade image...Upgrade image does not support the device. Upgrade failed.
/home/sam
sam@domus:/tmp$ show system
boot-image       boot-messages    commit           connections      image            kernel-messages  login            memory           processes        routing-daemons  storage          uptime
sam@domus:/tmp$ show system image

sam@domus:/tmp$ add system image https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/edgemax/v2.0.x/ER-e50.v2.0.0.5155111.tar
100 79.7M  100 79.7M    0     0  4378k      0  0:00:18  0:00:18 --:--:-- 4476k
Download succeeded
Checking upgrade image...Upgrade image does not support the device. Upgrade failed.
/tmp
sam@domus:/tmp$ reboot
Proceed with reboot? [confirm][y]

Broadcast message from sam@domus (pts/0) (Mon Jan  7 14:40:39 2019):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
SuperUser
Kudos: 11063
Solutions: 684
Contributions: 1

@DeviceLocksmith wrote:

Installing a X.0 release in production on a first day is risky business. I have a Pro8 running it in a lab, while in production I am on v1.10.8. 

Releasing a major update into GA is always a good thing, since it could simmer in beta forever, but once it is release, there is more pressure on Devs to fix remaining issues. It also helps discover new issues with larger user base that volunteers to upgrade without a good reason for an upgrade.

I could make an argument both ways on this, but I'm in agreement that users should not just automatically upgrade for the sake of upgrading.   Yes I have those ER12Ps running on 2.0.0 now, but they aren't in production and I've been testing them in a realistic environment connectrd to the rest of the routers they will be installed with for a while, and plan to continue doing so for the next week or so.   

Frankly, anyone who just blindly upgrades production devices on the first day of a release is asking for trouble.   Or to loose their job.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Established Member
Kudos: 246
Solutions: 89

@samedwards
Very interesting log. First attempt seems something went wrong with the download - or how it was saved - which then gave checksum error (which is good).
But the second attempt is probably the bug that has been bricking many devices. It says it's the wrong, but continues to write something and the asks for a reboot, which leads to brick.
I'm pretty sure this isn't specific to v2, since there has been several people just upgrading v1.9 (or 1.10.x) to v1.10.x giving similar report (without a log and usually they upgrade via GUI).
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1499
Solutions: 277

[ Edited ]

@eejimm there are tons of Ubiquiti ER-X users/consumers that do not read these forums. The 2.0.0 firmware is the official GA release and these users are up for big surprise. I still think, at least for ER-X/SFP, this version should have not been released as GA.

SuperUser
Kudos: 9087
Solutions: 598
Contributions: 2

@flamber wrote:
@samedwards
Very interesting log. First attempt seems something went wrong with the download - or how it was saved - which then gave checksum error (which is good).
But the second attempt is probably the bug that has been bricking many devices. It says it's the wrong, but continues to write something and the asks for a reboot, which leads to brick.
I'm pretty sure this isn't specific to v2, since there has been several people just upgrading v1.9 (or 1.10.x) to v1.10.x giving similar report (without a log and usually they upgrade via GUI).

Ok, so what I do is upgrade using the GUI, when and if it says "upgrade failed", I just reboot and its on the new load when it comes back up. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Kudos: 1252
Solutions: 26

@ltcdata wrote:

It looks more like a early beta release..

I will stick to 1.10.8 for a while.

This problem with the ER-X, the problems with the newer firmwares in the UAP's... what's happening at ubiquiti?

Mixing of chipsets.

ER-X and ER-X-SFP if I remember correctly, it's MediaTek chips whereas earlier ERs are Cavium chips.

UAP G1 and G2 (except the G1 ACs - Square, that uses Broadcom chips) are using Qualcomm chips. Some UAP G3 models (nanoHD, IW-HD) are MediaTek chips.

Using a different metholody (Operations perspective), it's a lot more challenging to have a mixed/rojak (operating environment) instead of a SOE (standard operating environment). I believe this applies to software development/programming as well (used to be a programmer). There are bound to be interoperability issues and trade-offs to be made. A lot more challenging to strike middle ground/balance.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 49

The latest routers, Infinity, ER-4, ER-6P, ER-12 are all Cavium.

Kudos: 26
Solutions: 4

Been running 2.0 on my ER-12 successfully for the last 10-11 hours or so.

Decided to make some changes to Advanced Queues; not such a great idea.  During the 2.0beta's I encounted two instances of using the GUI to make changes to an Advance Queue configuration and have it completely wipe out all vif's on the device per thread https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter-Beta/Advanced-Queue-corruption-bug-on-v2-0-0-beta-2/m-p/260...

This is still occuring.  However this time I was not deleting a root but removing an IP from a root filter match.  The ER-12 just dies, no output in the serial console.  Have to pull power to reboot and use the console to restore a previous config.

@UBNT-afomins can you guys please look at this?   

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

@UBNT-afomins

2.0 released, really.....  This is at best a very poor Beta version....

= IPv6 router advertisements still inop....  radvd continues to crash as before...

ER8-XG kernel: Process 7361 (radvd) has crashed (parent 1 (systemd) signal 11, code 196609, addr (null)), preparing coredump
ER8-XG systemd[1]: radvd.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=11/SEGV
ER8-XG systemd[1]: radvd.service: Unit entered failed state.
ER8-XG systemd[1]: radvd.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.

= Traffic Analysis/Traffic Counters still not working...  Never worked in a single Beta version

= OpenVPN certificates generated by any OpenVPN client version after 2.4.4 are not accepted by this firmware

All these issues and many others well identified for a long time have not been corrected and now they see it fit to release this half baked POS...

Sounds to me like a job well done....  Promotions for everyone....

Kudos: 137
Solutions: 48

@BranoB wrote:

@eejimm there are tons of Ubiquiti ER-X users/consumers that do not read these forums. The 2.0.0 firmware is the official GA release and these users are up for big suprise. I still think, at least for ER-X/SFP, this version should have not been released as GA.

I just checked by entering a google search for edgerouter firmware download.  Version 2 isn't currently (2019-01-08 05:20 UTC) on the https://www.ubnt.com/download/edgemax  page, so that's a good thing.  The only link is in the release notes (that I have seen).

Hopefully, if the consumer knows enough to find that link, they will be likely to have at least read something about the issues they may encounter.

The bad thing is that many of these consumers don't have a spare to test with, and if their ER is their primary access to the internet, loosing it is very painful.  And most ERX users don't have the hardware or knowledge needed to connect to the internal console header pins.  Hopefully, most of the problems can be solved with the reset button.

From the release notes:

[Offload] - Add offloading support for bonding interfaces for Cavium-based routers with "system offload ipv4 bonding enable" config settings

Is this just for the more recent models (e.g., the ER-4), or are earler units (specifically, the ER-Lite) also included?

Also, what exactly is meant by "bonding"? Link aggregations (e.g., LACP), and/or bridging multiple interfaces?

And no support for this for IPv6?

Kudos: 15

After the upgrade on my ER4 2 vpn's to zyxel on the other side are not working.

Vpn to other edgerouters is working fine.

The config tree was empty.

I restored the config and the config tree was back.

The vpn was still not working.

Then i switched back to 10.10.7 and the vpn was back up.