Kudos: 2

Re: EdgeMAX EdgeRouter software version v2.0.0 has been released!

My ER-X in switch mode with Vlans was no longer accessible via GUI or SSH after the update to Edge OS 2.0. The connections continued to run smoothly. After following the SSH Recovery instructions, I was able to reset it to version 1.10.8. Unfortunately this was very complicated as there is only a 60 second window to make input via SSH shell.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 49

I am still having an issue that I have reported in Beta2, that radvd is not issuing RAs until I manually restart it with 'sudo /etc/init.d/radvd restart' after boot. 

I have external IP on a VLAN (eth0.0) and my ISP requires 802.1x authentication, so I am using wpa_supplicant. Maybe the issue has something to do with sequencing of the radvd startup related to getting DHCPv6-PD response.

Kudos: 4

upgrading via command line worked

foo@bar:~$ add system image https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/edgemax/v2.0.x/ER-e100.v2.0.0.5155284.tar
Trying to get upgrade file from https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/edgemax/v2.0.x/ER-e100.v2.0.0.5155284.tar
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 83.7M  100 83.7M    0     0  2895k      0  0:00:29  0:00:29 --:--:-- 5033k
Download succeeded
Checking upgrade image...Done
Preparing to upgrade...Done
Clearing directory /var/lib/apt (4.0K)...Done
Clearing directory /var/cache/apt (1.1M)...Done
Copying upgrade image...Done
Removing old image...Done
Checking upgrade image...Done
Copying config data...Done
Finishing upgrade...Done
Upgrade completed
foo@bar:~$ reboot
Proceed with reboot? [confirm]y

Broadcast message from barry@gate (pts/0) (Tue Jan  8 17:09:39 2019):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
login as: foo
Welcome to EdgeOS

By logging in, accessing, or using the Ubiquiti product, you
acknowledge that you have read and understood the Ubiquiti
License Agreement (available in the Web UI at, by default,
http://192.168.1.1) and agree to be bound by its terms.

Authenticating with public key "my key" from agent
Linux gate 4.9.79-UBNT #1 SMP Fri Jan 4 07:05:25 UTC 2019 mips64
Welcome to EdgeOS
foo@bar:~$ date
Tue Jan  8 17:14:57 MST 2019
foo@bar:~$

startup still took a hideous amount of time (5+ minutes), i suspect there's a whole lot of ipv6 crap timing out in the background. why i'm not sure given my configuration excludes it

foo@bar:~$  show configuration commands | grep ipv6
set firewall ipv6-receive-redirects disable
set firewall ipv6-src-route disable
set system ipv6 blacklist
set system ipv6 disable
set system ipv6 disable-forwarding

-

Kudos: 39
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

@bgh- I have reported the same startup slowness after upgrade. I first noted this starting with the first Beta releases.

Upgraded ER-12 from 1.10.8 to 2.0.0 and everything seems to be running ok.

I did notice that the ping and bandwidth tests under the toolbox tab are not working in 2.0.0.  I downgraded to 1.10.8 and confirmed that the test were once again working.

On a ER-Lite3 here. Also rolled back because of failing IPv6.

My workstation did get an IPv6 address, but on the WAN no IPv6 available, only IPv4.

Also the PPPoE adapter disconnected.

I upgraded my ER4 via the web interface, rebooted (took about 2-3 minutes, not too long).  So far all is working as expected.  I am able to obtain IPv6 addresses on the WAN and /64 on internal and DMZ networks.  All workstations are still getting v6 addresses so far.  OpenVPN also has been tested and continues to work as it did before.  So far I have found no issues.  Will continue to monitor and keep my fingers crossed.

Kudos: 12

If you're going to release it officially you should probably actually update where most people look for it!

https://www.ubnt.com/download/edgemax/

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

Upgraded my ERX-SFP last night, woke up this morning to have one of my G3 cameras showing as disconnected, it's plugged into eth2 with PoE enabled. Flipped PoE on and off today hoping that would do it, but no luck. Decided to reboot the ERX just now and that fixed it? I'll see if it does it again tomorrow...

Could just be a coincidence, but never ran into that with 1.x firmwares. 

Really basic config too as I just use it as a PoE switch. 

Kudos: 137
Solutions: 48

@gyrfalcon wrote:

If you're going to release it officially you should probably actually update where most people look for it!

https://www.ubnt.com/download/edgemax/

That would not be a good idea at this time.  As it is people that read the forums and have a clue, can find it.  But someone that just grabs the latest from the standard location will get the more stable 1.10.8 release.   For consumers using the ERX, an upgrade that fails and leaves the router in a non-working state is not acceptable.  Even it it only affects <1%  (and I don't know what the real numbers are).

@jdrom wrote:

Upgraded my ERX-SFP last night, woke up this morning to have one of my G3 cameras showing as disconnected...

Most people with ERX's recommend staying away from this firmware release for now.  I'm throwing it on a non-production ER-PRO

[ Edited ]

@BuckeyeNet wrote:  

That would not be a good idea at this time.  As it is people that read the forums and have a clue, can find it.  But someone that just grabs the latest from the standard location will get the more stable 1.10.8 release.   For consumers using the ERX, an upgrade that fails and leaves the router in a non-working state is not acceptable.  Even it it only affects <1%  (and I don't know what the real numbers are).

If it's official, it's official...yeah the ERX users are complaining about it not being stable, and buggy... but it has been released non-beta officially.  Put it where it belongs.

Edit:  Or revoke the official release status and put it back as beta! :-)

@jdrom- I just noticed that same disconnect situation on one of my ER-X-SPF of one of my linux machines.
Established Member
Kudos: 246
Solutions: 89

@Hank Can you grab the techsupport before reboot and send to afomis, so he has something to looks at?
Emerging Member
Kudos: 49

[ Edited ]

@DeviceLocksmith wrote:

I am still having an issue that I have reported in Beta2, that radvd is not issuing RAs until I manually restart it with 'sudo /etc/init.d/radvd restart' after boot. 

I have external IP on a VLAN (eth0.0) and my ISP requires 802.1x authentication, so I am using wpa_supplicant. Maybe the issue has something to do with sequencing of the radvd startup related to getting DHCPv6-PD response.

Update:

I got radvd 802.1x issue resolved. The issue is related to introduction of systemd.

For 802.1x authentication I've been previously starting wpa_supplicant from /config/scripts/post-config.d/

Apparently in 2.0 post-config.d starts after radvd has started through systemd, which is a bit too late, since there could be no DHCPv6-PD addresses until 802.1x supplicant authenticates to the network.

The solution was backporting Debian Buster wpa_supplicant to Stretch (attached, Cavium-only). The updated package comes with 'wpa_supplicant-wired@.service', which allows starting wpa_supplicant through systemd. Stretch version is missing this file (Debian Stretch bug 871488).

I like systemd approach even better than scripts in /config/scripts/post-config.d/

UBNT, if you ever decide to include wpa_supplicant in EdgeOS for 802.1x, please use a backported package from Buster or newer (needs to be recompiled for Stretch due to old libc), or build a custom package with 'wpa_supplicant-wired@.service'.

Below are the commands required to configure wpa_supplicant to work with radvd on EdgeOS 2.0. The config and wpa_supplicant are retained on EdgeOS upgrades.

Assuming wpa_supplicant.conf resides in /config/, the router has Internet connectivity and interface that requires wpa_supplicant is eth0:

Spoiler
#Remove 1.x repository, add 2.0 Debian repository and install prerequisites
configure
delete system package repository wheezy
set system package repository stretch components 'main contrib'
set system package repository stretch distribution stretch
set system package repository stretch password ''
set system package repository stretch url 'http://http.us.debian.org/debian'
set system package repository stretch username ''
commit
save
exit sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libpcsclite1 #Download backported Debian Buster wpa_supplicant and install it curl https://community.ubnt.com/ubnt/attachments/ubnt/EdgeMAX/235525/1/wpasupplicant_2.6-21~bpo9+1_mips.deb.tar.gz -o /tmp/wpasupplicant_2.6-21~bpo9+1_mips.deb.tar.gz
cd /tmp/
tar -xvf ./wpasupplicant_2.6-21~bpo9+1_mips.deb.tar.gz sudo dpkg -i /tmp/wpasupplicant_2.6-21~bpo9+1_mips.deb
#Create symbolic link to wpa_supplicant.conf for eth0
sudo ln -s /config/wpa_supplicant.conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wired-eth0.conf #Disable dbus service and enable wired wpa_supplicant for eth0 sudo systemctl disable wpa_supplicant.service sudo systemctl enable wpa_supplicant-wired@eth0.service
#Save DEB packages for future use, allow /etc/ubnt/ubnt-rcS/ubnt-rcS.sh to install them
sudo mkdir -p /config/data/firstboot/install-packages &&  cd /config/data/firstboot/install-packages
sudo apt-get download libpcsclite1
sudo curl https://community.ubnt.com/ubnt/attachments/ubnt/EdgeMAX/235525/1/wpasupplicant_2.6-21~bpo9+1_mips.deb.tar.gz -o /config/data/firstboot/install-packages/wpasupplicant_2.6-21~bpo9+1_mips.deb.tar.gz
sudo tar -xvf ./wpasupplicant_2.6-21~bpo9+1_mips.deb.tar.gz
sudo rm /config/data/firstboot/install-packages/wpasupplicant_2.6-21~bpo9+1_mips.deb.tar.gz
#Recover configuration on EdgeOS upgrade
sudo mkdir -p /config/scripts/firstboot.d/
echo '#!/usr/bin/env bash' | sudo tee -a /config/scripts/firstboot.d/8021x-eth0.sh
echo 'ln -s /config/wpa_supplicant.conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wired-eth0.conf' | sudo tee -a /config/scripts/firstboot.d/8021x-eth0.sh
echo 'systemctl stop wpa_supplicant.service' | sudo tee -a /config/scripts/firstboot.d/8021x-eth0.sh
echo 'systemctl disable wpa_supplicant.service' | sudo tee -a /config/scripts/firstboot.d/8021x-eth0.sh
echo 'systemctl enable wpa_supplicant-wired@eth0.service' | sudo tee -a /config/scripts/firstboot.d/8021x-eth0.sh
echo 'systemctl start wpa_supplicant-wired@eth0.service' | sudo tee -a /config/scripts/firstboot.d/8021x-eth0.sh
sudo chmod 0744 /config/scripts/firstboot.d/8021x-eth0.sh
reboot

Attachment

@flamber wrote:
@HankCan you grab the techsupport before reboot and send to afomis, so he has something to looks at?

I have saved the file. But it is to large to send as private message on this site, limited to 60,000 characters. If he provides me with address I can forward file to him. I am traveling starting tomorrow for 2 days, but can forward upon my return.

Kudos: 1252
Solutions: 26

[ Edited ]

@DeviceLocksmith wrote:

@chaicka wrote:

@luckiweeman wrote:

One of the users on this thread had issues with an ER4 that made him go back to 1.10.7...I have an ER 6p and won't be updating to this firmware. I'm on 1.10.8 and it's working just fine. I'm wondering if Ubiquiti will pull this firmware given the amount of issues described here.

Given the attitude I have been seeing across a few UBNT platforms, I doubt so. Look at UniFi where a few cloud key firmwares resulted in stuck situation without ability to update to newer firmware unless u travel down to the site, ssh into the cloud key and perform some CLI commands. Look at UniFi AP firmwares with its shares of similar issues - stuck or brick and requires TFTP recovery method to restore (again, something that u need to be at the site + take the device down to carry out). Not forgetting some UAPs may be mounted pretty high up that requires scaffolding to reach. Who pays for all these costs that the implementers/installers are going to incur?

That's fair, however if you are pushing a firmware that has just been released, specifically a major overhaul of firmware, with new kernel, Linux distribuiton, SDK, new everything to your production devices on the first day the firmware got released without a good reason for it, you may be doing something wrong.

Fair and Decent advice. Just that it is not me who do not know about all these as I am fairly old-school and come from a very 'proper process flow' background. But younger IT folks out there nowadays ain't like us. Like one of my VTI tunnel is now down due to my remote site's admin went to update to 2.0.0 and isn't even aware the VTI is down (no traffic flowing through, CLI shows not established but GUI does not show as down).

Kudos: 1252
Solutions: 26

@onnoo wrote:

@chaicka wrote:

Your IPSec VTI works?

Yes it works. Other side is a Juniper SRX300.

Thanks mate. I need to find time to troubleshoot why a IPSec VTI tunnel with both ends being ERPOE is down just because the remote end got updated to 2.0.0. All other IPSec VTIs are up on the main/parent end.

Kudos: 7

@UBNT-afomins wrote:

> Add offloading support for bonding interfaces for Cavium-based routers
> Is this just for the more recent models (e.g., the ER-4), or are earler units (specifically, the ER-Lite) also included?
All cavium-based models support bonding offload

> Also, what exactly is meant by "bonding"? Link aggregations (e.g., LACP)
Yes, it's what you configure with "set interface bonding ..." CLI commands

> And no support for this for IPv6?
Nope, right now no support for IPv6 

Glad to hear it works for all units, though disappointed that IPv6 isn't included. Hope that's coming soon.

Thank for the update.