Established Member
Kudos: 466
Solutions: 45

EdgeMAX console cable

Just a fyi to those looking to use a console cable.

A standard Cisco console cable works with the EdgeMAX lite router.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

Re: EdgeMAX console cable

Might have been made that way on purpose. In a few years, you may not need quite a few of those cisco routers, but you will probably have plenty of the cables left over Man Wink

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
SuperUser
Kudos: 11469
Solutions: 700
Contributions: 1

Yeah, they kind of set the standard on that. Although I always thought their light blue-green color for that cable was not the best choice they could have made. But then teal is so '90s now, I guess Cisco isn't so fashion oriented...
Jim
" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3142
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Yes, that was the "standard" we used.
EdgeMAX Router Software Development
Established Member
Kudos: 466
Solutions: 45

Had to experiment as it wasn't in the documentation.
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5479
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Good point, we should put it in the docs. Thanks!
Previous Employee
Kudos: 39

Here is a pinout incase someone doesn't have a premade cable-
www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Cisco_Console_RJ45_to_DB9_Pin
SuperUser

Lots and lots of them on e-bay for less than $4.00 US...
Jim
" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
SuperUser

www.nationwidesurplus.com/p-8-new-cisco-6-ft-db9-female-rj-45-serial-console-cable.aspx

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
Previous Employee

There was a lot of push to drop that console port and/or use a ethernet management port instead. I for one am glad we have a real console port.
SuperUser

There was a lot of push to drop that console port and/or use a ethernet management port instead. I for one am glad we have a real console port.

It's one of those things that if you messed it up, you're going to end up being on site anyway Man Wink

Veteran Member
Kudos: 5292
Solutions: 78

^^^ Exactly. I'm glad it's there. Any real router has one.
SuperUser

Absolutely, any "carrier grade" device needs one. We even have some sites with serial terminal servers connected to the serial ports. Saved our bacon more than a few times over the years...
Jim
Previous Employee

Absolutely, any "carrier grade" device needs one. We even have some sites with serial terminal servers connected to the serial ports.
Yeah, I've been using mPort Serials as single device terminal server connected to the router's console port. I know this probably isn't the intended purpose for the mPort Serial, but I have easy access to them so I use a bunch on them for that. Icon Mrgreen
SuperUser

Yeah, I've been using mPort Serials as single device terminal server connected to the router's console port. I know this probably isn't the intended purpose for the mPort Serial, but I have easy access to them so I use a bunch on them for that. Icon Mrgreen

*bump again for a rackmount mport serial, or 6+ serial port version* Man Wink
:: sent from my phone

SuperUser

I thought that's what old Cisco 2509s were for, in addition to being space heaters Icon Mrgreen
Jim
Kudos: 149
Solutions: 4

I thought that's what old Cisco 2509s were for, in addition to being space heaters Icon Mrgreen
Jim

Ugh. Those things always mess up my IOS training with new techs. It always goes so smooth until we have to use the 2509's ancient build for the first time, then the new employee always gets this frightened, confused look and we have to walk through what a console server is (really, what a vty is).... bleh.
Nathan Eisenberg
Network Operations
Kudos: 190
Solutions: 1

Jim

2621xm with a NM-16A. Console sever for up to 16 devices for dirt cheap.

+1 for multi port rack mount mPort.

Thanks
-Seth
Kudos: 22

Serial config is 115200 N81 Man Happy

Amat Victoria Curam
Established Member
Kudos: 516
Solutions: 110
Contributions: 2

Following the 568B standar in one side i made an horrible-emergency-cable (attach the image). It can be helpful in emergency-situations Man Wink (btw, the pinout in www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Cisco_Console_RJ45_to_DB9_Pin dont work as expect, you can see the terminal , but input is not working)
2013-02-11_11-59-10_312.jpg