EdgeMAX ports

We have issue where Fibre To The Premies (FTTP) is 100mbs. 

We want to set up a community IsoStation PtMP scenario that is going to need a lot more than this. So solution is buy in say 10 service packages from provider giving a network capacity of 1gbs, which will beam to whichever remote pickup.

What and how should I do this. The hope is the kit will load balance between each FTTP package as far as user sending and receiving data from internet.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5001
Solutions: 1409

Re: EdgeMAX ports

For starters, talk to your provider - they may have better options since your intent is to resell the connection.

Believe me if it were that simple!

The provider brought FTTP over the border to our county 'by mistake' so some of us have FTTP.

The rest of the village parish are not due to get FTTC until end of next year, with 30% needing wifi solution not earmarked until 2020, with some 30 or so not on radar at all due to rural setting.

We have therefore decided to sort it our selves. The FTTP box has a 2-3 gbs capacity, and packages of max 300 mbs can be ordered. Therefore, solution seems to be order several of these, bunch together, and the distribute using something like the ubiquiti management system.

I know how to code and sort server side, and understand the tranceiver kit. Just curious to know what best solution for the switching / routing as the data sheet suggests only couple of inputs available?

SuperUser
Kudos: 5001
Solutions: 1409

Again, talk to the provider -- they may be able to do something *better* than the generic packages on their website or whatever, so that you can resell it...

anyway, EdgeRouter for indoors, and edge point for out ...
Established Member
Kudos: 643
Solutions: 50

How many clients do you have?  What do you think about this scenario:

150 clients

each client promised 20Mbps

buy 10x 100Mbps packages from ISP

put 15 clients each on their own 100Mbps package.  I realize 15 clients x 20Mbps = 300Mbps but they generally won't all be maxing their connections out at the same time.  The guys in the AirMAX forums (WISP operators) will have a lot more experience and better recommendations for how much you can "oversell" your capacity or whatever they call it.

Anyway, my point is, I don't think you need to aggregate your ISP connections, it sounds to me like you have enough clients that you can put a few on each ISP link.  If you were thinking of somehow aggregating 1Gbps of traffic in order to only have to buy 1 AirMAX PtMP radio (rocket prism or something) I don't think that's realistic but again the AirMAX forums will be able to recommend better.

As far as routing / switching in my scenario you could use whatever you want, an ER-X would be fine to manage a 100Mbps symmetrical connection, use one port for your ISP, one port for your AirMAX radio (you can even power both devices with the same brick) and 3 ports left over.