Highlighted

Re: EdgeMax rescue kit (now you can reinstall EdgeOS from scratch)

Thank you so much for this information. It helped me create a new USB drive and have a functioning router again! Ubnt Banana

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Hi all, newbie here. I just bought an used ERLite-3 to play with. I had read that they have a high rate of flash drive failures. Even though I got one of the newer metal body ones (which I read is less prone to that issue), I decided to be safe and create a backup image. I did some searching and found a few references to this USB flash drive:

Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 16GB USB 2.0 DTSE9H/16GBZ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006W8U2WU/

In fact, one of the Amazon reviews explicilty mentions it working for the ERLite-3. So I bought one to use as a replacement UFD. However, when I try to boot using the new flash drive, I keep getting these errors (I also bought a USB serial console cable):

Looking for valid bootloader image....
Jumping to start of image at address 0xbfc80000

U-Boot 1.1.1 (UBNT Build ID: 4670715-gbd7e2d7) (Build time: May 27 2014 - 11:16:22)

BIST check passed.
UBNT_E100 r1:2, r2:18, f:4/71, serial #: 44D9E74011B9
MPR 13-00318-18
Core clock: 500 MHz, DDR clock: 266 MHz (532 Mhz data rate)
DRAM: 512 MB
Clearing DRAM....... done
Flash: 4 MB
Net: octeth0, octeth1, octeth2

USB: (port 0) scanning bus for devices...
USB device not responding, giving up (status=0)
1 USB Devices found
scanning bus for storage devices...
No device found. Not initialized? 0
** Partition 1 not valid on device 0 **

** Unable to use usb 0:1 for fatload **
argv[2]: coremask=0x3
argv[3]: root=/dev/sda2
argv[4]: rootdelay=15
argv[5]: rw
argv[6]: rootsqimg=squashfs.img
argv[7]: rootsqwdir=w
argv[8]: mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:512k(boot0),512k(boot1),64k@1024k(eeprom)
## No elf image at address 0x09f00000
Octeon ubnt_e100#

These are the steps I tried:

1. Using "dd" in macOS terminal to clone the existing flash drive to my new flash drive. I tried both commands below:

dd if=/dev/old of=/dev/new

dd if=/dev/old of=/dev/new bs=1m

2. Using the imageUSB tool (in Windows 10) to create an image of the existing flash drive, then writing the image to my new flash drive

3. Downloaded the image from this page (using Method 1), then used imageUSB to write it to my new flash drive

https://hilo90mhz.com/ubiquiti-edgerouter-lite-erlite-3-internal-usb-storage-fail/

4. Tried adjusting the bootdelay to 10, then tried all 3 steps above again.

None of those worked. I keep getting the same error message. I'm at my wit's end. Any suggestions?

--------

EDIT: Figured it out! Turned out I needed to put the sleep in front of the bootcmd, as well as doing a usb reset, instead of setting the boot delay. I used the instructions here:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/EdgeMax-rescue-kit-now-you-can-reinstall-EdgeOS-from-scratch/m...

Next question - how do I get back into the bootloader if I ever want to adjust the bootcmd again?

Kudos: 37
Solutions: 11

Just press ctrl-C during uboot.

Great info, thanks GranPaWa!

Last question, I promise: What is the advantage of resizing the ext3 partition so that more than the default 1.xGB is available to the router? Any disadvantages for doing so?

Kudos: 37
Solutions: 11

Unless you want to install A LOT of packages, there's no use expanding the partition.

Of course, storing dynamic data is not an option because it would wear the USB key down pretty fast.

But it wouldn't hurt anything if I did resize it right?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

As disturbing as it might be to have that flash memory just sitting there unloved, there is no reason or benefit to expanding the partition. As it sits, the firmware doesn't make any use of it. As GranPaWa notes, unless you are going in and customizing it with added packages, there is just no reason to do this. I'm sure someone has added things, but there isn't some common hotrod mod for ERL's that everyone is running around doing.

Thanks haef. I had already resized it, just wondering if I need to return it back to its orignal size, or is it ok to leave it? What I mean is, is there any detriment to have the partition size enlarged?

Kudos: 321
Solutions: 36

It makes no difference if you enlarge it or not, unless the ER supports TRIM and the USB key also supports TRIM and wear levelling. I believe the only USB keys that do are the Sandisk Extreme Pros.

Linux / Network / ISP / Virtualization Geek for Hire
Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

I haven't heard anyone mentioning ER supporting TRIM, but I'm hardly the last word on this. Wear in this environment would be minimal I think since the data on the USB drive doesn't change much. I believe there is cache ram for the actual buffering and processing of network data, but I also recall someone saying to leave the traffic analysis feature off as that uses USB memory. Don't know if that is true or not. Maybe someone who knows something can chime in here.

haef, according to this thread, the DPI data is not logged to the flash drive?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/61jrtg/way_to_save_dpi_to_a_log_file_on_edgerouter_lite/

Emerging Member
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

hild90mhz,

I just wanted to say thank you for making that and writing out the instructions on your page.  It was the evening before I had to leave for a 1 week business trip, and that's naturally when the router USB key decides to take a dump. 

I don't have a linux machine (and I suck at linux), nor do I have a serial cable.  Windows was my only real option.  And things were looking pretty grim up until then.  From your files and instructions i was able to create a new USB key, and let it create the files over night.  In the morning, I was able to resurrect the router and load a woefully outdated (-shame on me) configuration, and then flash the firmware to update to the latest version. 

My family would have been none to pleased to be without internet / gaming / entertainment for a week...  You saved the sanity of my wife and two kids.

I still have some configuration rebuilding to do, but it's enough that the rest of the family shouldn't notice anything wrong while I'm gone.

Many thanks again!

-J

Hello everyone.

A few days back my ERLite-3 stopped working. I tried every possible reboot but couldn't get anything through it, and the console wasn't responsive.

I'm on Windows and I've been following the guides in this thread. I've used @BranoB's .img's and imageUSB to put the .imgs on a new Kingston flash drive.

Despite having a newly flashed drive, when I connect to the console using a FTDI Serial to USB cable the boot stops at DRAM. From the other logs, it looks like the DRAM is supposed to be cleared but that never happens and then the console stays blank. I can't type anything in it, either.

I'm very new at this and I would be so grateful for any assistance or guidance.

Thank you all!

Kudos: 1369
Solutions: 263

[ Edited ]

You likely need to insert delay into bootcmd to allow for the USB key to initiate properly. The command has been posted several times in this thread, ..try searching for it.

@BranoB so I've tried to edit the bootcmd to include the delay but I can't input anything in the console. It stops at:

Looking for valid bootloader image....
Jumping to start of image at address 0xbfc80000

U-Boot 1.1.1 (UBNT Build ID: 4670715-gbd7e2d7) (Build time: May 27 2014 - 11:16:22)

BIST check passed.
UBNT_E100 r1:2, r2:18, f:4/71, serial #: 802AA88FE50F
MPR 13-00318-18
Core clock: 500 MHz, DDR clock: 266 MHz (532 Mhz data rate)
DRAM: 512 MB

Is there a workaround?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, I'm just now diving in to networking and learning a ton. Thank you!

@BranoB I reimaged a Kingston 16gb micro SDHC flash drive with your version 1.9 image for my EdgeRouter POE. Connected via console and it boots fine and I can log in and issue commands in both operational and configure modes. However when I connect my computer via eth0 I can't connect. I've set my computer to 192.168.1.50, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1 and DNS 192.168.1.1. I've tried various combinations of IP's with no luck. I've manually set eth0 to 192.168.1.1 and set gui per other post here. All to no avail. What other troubleshooting can I do to figure out what's wrong with this thing? Thanks in advance for your help!