Accepted Solution

EdgeRouter POE-5 CenturyLink Gigabit Setup

Im trying to get my ER POE-5 Set up with my CenturyLink Gig Service. I have the internet connected and bridged the CenturyLink provided router to remove their device but Im not getting the speeds that I was when conneced up to the CenturyLink  provided device.

I tryed to enable Hardware offloading but that didnt seem to make a difference in speed. Im very new at this and havent used ER products before and im learning as I go.

I was able to make the changes for the hardware offloading through the CLI in the EdgeOS, but not sure if i did it right or if there is something else that needs to be done to get the max speeds. Here is some of my set ups information and configuration.

CenturyLink divice:

ZYXEL C3000Z

Ubiquiti Device:

Edge Router POE-5

Firmware Vertion: v1.10.7

Ethernet Port 0 - (directly to ONT)

Ethernet Port 1 - (to current laptop for configuring)

Ethernet Port 2 - (Smart TV)

Ethernet Port 3 - (PS4)

Ethernet Port 4 - (UniFi AP AC Lite)

NOTE: I plan on removing devices from Ports 2 & 3 later and connecting them throught a switch on Port 2.

Curent Configuration:

firewall {
all-ping enable
broadcast-ping disable
ipv6-receive-redirects disable
ipv6-src-route disable
ip-src-route disable
log-martians enable
name WAN_IN {
default-action drop
description "WAN to internal"
rule 10 {
action accept
description "Allow established/related"
state {
established enable
related enable
}
}
rule 20 {
action drop
description "Drop invalid state"
state {
invalid enable
}
}
}
name WAN_LOCAL {
default-action drop
description "WAN to router"
rule 10 {
action accept
description "Allow established/related"
state {
established enable
related enable
}
}
rule 20 {
action drop
description "Drop invalid state"
state {
invalid enable
}
}
}
options {
mss-clamp {
mss 1412
}
}
receive-redirects disable
send-redirects enable
source-validation disable
syn-cookies enable
}
interfaces {
bridge br0 {
address 192.168.1.1/24
aging 300
bridged-conntrack disable
description "Local Bridge"
hello-time 2
max-age 20
priority 32768
promiscuous enable
stp false
}
ethernet eth0 {
duplex auto
speed auto
vif 201 {
description "Internet (PPPoE)"
pppoe 0 {
default-route auto
firewall {
in {
name WAN_IN
}
local {
name WAN_LOCAL
}
}
mtu 1492
name-server auto
password ****************
user-id quinlanjohn@centurylink.net
}
}
}
ethernet eth1 {
bridge-group {
bridge br0
}
duplex auto
poe {
output off
}
speed auto
}
ethernet eth2 {
duplex auto
poe {
output off
}
speed auto
}
ethernet eth3 {
duplex auto
poe {
output off
}
speed auto
}
ethernet eth4 {
duplex auto
poe {
output 24v
output 24v
}
speed auto
}
loopback lo {
}
switch switch0 {
bridge-group {
bridge br0
}
mtu 1500
switch-port {
interface eth2 {
}
interface eth3 {
}
interface eth4 {
}
vlan-aware disable
}
}
}
service {
dhcp-server {
disabled false
hostfile-update disable
shared-network-name LAN_BR {
authoritative enable
subnet 192.168.1.0/24 {
default-router 192.168.1.1
dns-server 192.168.1.1
dns-server 4.2.2.2
lease 86400
start 192.168.1.100 {
stop 192.168.1.254
}
}
}
static-arp disable
use-dnsmasq disable
}
dns {
forwarding {
cache-size 150
listen-on br0
}
}
gui {
http-port 80
https-port 443
older-ciphers enable
}
nat {
rule 5010 {
description "masquerade for WAN"
outbound-interface pppoe0
type masquerade
}
}
ssh {
port 22
protocol-version v2
}
}
system {
host-name ubnt
login {
user ubnt {
authentication {
encrypted-password ****************
}
level admin
}
}
ntp {
server 0.ubnt.pool.ntp.org {
}
server 1.ubnt.pool.ntp.org {
}
server 2.ubnt.pool.ntp.org {
}
server 3.ubnt.pool.ntp.org {
}
}
offload {
hwnat disable
ipv4 {
pppoe enable
vlan enable
}
ipv6 {
}
}
syslog {
global {
facility all {
level notice
}
facility protocols {
level debug
}
}
}
time-zone UTC

Sorry, Im very much a noob at this. I looked at the forum here and was able to get through setting up the internet and the access point but my speeds still suck.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

Re: EdgeRouter POE-5 CenturyLink Gigabit Setup

Well first, I had a typo, that should have read eth1 for management not eth2. Man Happy   I'll go back and edit it to be clear.

Well, depends on your needs. I would actually use one of the switch0 interfaces (eth2, eth3, or eth4) to plug into the external switch. That way everything on the external switch and everything plugged into the other 2 of ports of the switch0 interface would all be part of the same network.

If you plug the external switch into eth1, then it will be on a different network segment/subnet than the network configured for the switch0 interface. And some devices wouldn't see eachother without some extra work/software on the router.

As for the br0 interface, you want to just delete it. The only info from it you will move over to the switch interface is the address. I believe to delete the bridge in the config tree interface, you would click on the "bridge" folder to expand it. This should show you a list of the bridges configured. Each one (in your case, the only one) should have a "Remove" button next to it.

Then under the switch0 interface section you want to set the address to 192.168.1.1/24. You also want to be sure that the "bridge-group" folder is empty. Same thing for eth1, you want to be sure the "bridge-group" entry is empty.

If you walkthrough the config I posted previously, the lines should match up with entries in the config-tree. You can compare them and if something you have in your config doesn't appear in the one I posted, then you should be safe to delete or blank it. But, you can make that judgement call. You just want to be sure not to have anything for the bridge remaining.

One note of caution. You will want to use either the serial console or to remove eth1 from the bridge and configure it on a separate network first, then connect your laptop to this network and then make the other changes. This is so that if something goes wrong with the other changes you don't loose access to the router. There is a chance that if something went wrong while commiting the changes you could loose access to the router. You would then need to use the serial console or factory reset it to get back in. Just FYI as I've done this to myself more than once. Man Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies

Your through put issues are likely due to your use of a bridge interface. In the Edgemax series these are processed through software and use the main CPU for routing/forwarding the packets. This will drastically reduce the overall throughput you will see on the router. You can see this by watching the CPU level while running a speedtest or other high network traffic.  When you use the regular interfaces or the built in switch interface the packet processing is offloaded to hardware that can perform this much quicker.

For your setup the best advice would be to:

1) remove the bridge interface.

2) If you're only using eth1 for managing the router, setup a static IP on the router and your laptop on a different vLAN than the rest of your network. Or you could forgo this and just manage the router over WiFi.

3) Configure the switch0 interface with the settings from the bridge interface.

I think with this setup you will see throughput closer to what you were seeing from being directly connected to the CenturyLink router.

Yes, I did the speed test like you said and saw my CPU on the EdgeOS run all the way up to 72%. Im not completely sure how to make the changes that your suggesting tho.

Im going to take a guess on what Im supposed to do... Here are the screen shots.

So you want me to take the config info from br0, delete it, and then enter it into switch0? both under the "Interface" area in the Config Tree?

Should I try to do this through the config tree or through the CLI, I read on some of the post by other people that the changes that they made didnt work sometimes when the used the Config tree.

bridging,trouble shooting.png

Copy The Configuration Information from previeous Screen shot to here?

Switch0_interface.png

[ Edited ]

In the end you'll want your interfaces section to look like this:

interfaces {
  ethernet eth0 {
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    vif 201 {
      description "Internet (PPPoE)"
      pppoe 0 {
        default-route auto
        firewall {
          in {
            name WAN_IN
          }
          local {
            name WAN_LOCAL
          }
        }
        mtu 1492
        name-server auto
        password ****************
        user-id quinlanjohn@centurylink.net
      }
    }
  }
  ethernet eth1 {
    address 192.168.2.1/24
    description "Management"
    duplex auto
    poe {
      output off
    }
    speed auto
  }
  ethernet eth2 {
    description "TV"
    duplex auto
    poe {
      output off
    }
    speed auto
  }
  ethernet eth3 {
    description "PS4"
    duplex auto
    poe {
      output off
    }
    speed auto
  }
  ethernet eth4 {
    description "WAP"
    duplex auto
    poe {
      output 24v
    }
    speed auto
  }
  loopback lo {
  }
  switch switch0 {
    address 192.168.1.1/24
    description "LAN"
    mtu 1500
    switch-port {
      interface eth2 {
      }
      interface eth3 {
      }
      interface eth4 {
      }
      vlan-aware disable
    }
  }
}

To use eth2 eth1 for management, you would either configure your laptop to use a static address like 192.168.2.2/24. Or, you could setup a second dhcp-server config to serve addresses on the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet so you don't need to mess with the config on your laptop.

How you make the changes is up to you. Personally I use the cli via SSH, but not everyone is comfortable with it.

I think that I will just manage router wirlessly in case I want to use the Eth2 for something in the future. for eth1 i have connected a  switch and moved the TV and PS4 to it. will that change any of the configurations sugested?

I havnt removed the settings from(  Interfaces>bridge>br0  ) will these all need to be blank along with the other changes in switch0? Or do they need to be copyed to swich0, because i dont see a directory called ( bridge>br0 ) in switch0.

Br0 changes.png

Well first, I had a typo, that should have read eth1 for management not eth2. Man Happy   I'll go back and edit it to be clear.

Well, depends on your needs. I would actually use one of the switch0 interfaces (eth2, eth3, or eth4) to plug into the external switch. That way everything on the external switch and everything plugged into the other 2 of ports of the switch0 interface would all be part of the same network.

If you plug the external switch into eth1, then it will be on a different network segment/subnet than the network configured for the switch0 interface. And some devices wouldn't see eachother without some extra work/software on the router.

As for the br0 interface, you want to just delete it. The only info from it you will move over to the switch interface is the address. I believe to delete the bridge in the config tree interface, you would click on the "bridge" folder to expand it. This should show you a list of the bridges configured. Each one (in your case, the only one) should have a "Remove" button next to it.

Then under the switch0 interface section you want to set the address to 192.168.1.1/24. You also want to be sure that the "bridge-group" folder is empty. Same thing for eth1, you want to be sure the "bridge-group" entry is empty.

If you walkthrough the config I posted previously, the lines should match up with entries in the config-tree. You can compare them and if something you have in your config doesn't appear in the one I posted, then you should be safe to delete or blank it. But, you can make that judgement call. You just want to be sure not to have anything for the bridge remaining.

One note of caution. You will want to use either the serial console or to remove eth1 from the bridge and configure it on a separate network first, then connect your laptop to this network and then make the other changes. This is so that if something goes wrong with the other changes you don't loose access to the router. There is a chance that if something went wrong while commiting the changes you could loose access to the router. You would then need to use the serial console or factory reset it to get back in. Just FYI as I've done this to myself more than once. Man Happy

Awsome Thanks evildog! got it all working. I deleted all the config info and then transfered the address to the switch0 interface. and that basicly fixed everything!

I think the wizard messed it up from using that for the initial setup it put all the ports into a bridge set up. thanks for helping out man.

These are my speeds now, way better then the 86-100Mbps Man Very Happy

SpeedTest.png

One more Question tho, I noticed that when trying to enable eth1 for the switching interface that its stating that "eth1 is not a switching port" or somthing like that. is it not possble to put eth1 with the other switching ports?

No. On the ERPOE5 only eth2, eth3, and eth4 are able to be part of the switch0 interface. It's a hardware limitation of the architecture they choose.

Alright Thanks Evildog your info was very helpfull