Kudos: 4

EdgeRouter PoE bricked when powered off

[ Edited ]

Hello

I would like to report my whole story to inform and maybe get support form the community.

Sunday I was doing some cable management at home and I had to unplug and replug my EdgeRouter PoE. 
However, once I did that, it stopped working (still runing, some leds blinking, but just on some specific ports).

I tried both ways to do a configuration reset on it, and still the same issue, going through the initial configuration process but I'm still unable to reach the web gui. 
I will receive a console cable today to see if I can do something. 

Still, I'm quite suprised(/upset) that my EdgeRouter PoE "broke" just by unplugging and replugging the power... after about 18months of use.

Is there any recommended procedure to unplug an EdgeRouter that I missed ?

Thanks,

Veteran Member
Kudos: 917
Solutions: 322

Re: EdgeRouter PoE bricked when powered off

It's alway's recommended to shutdown any electronic properly. It's possible your USB stick died and lucky for you there is a recovery procedure. It probably was not the act of unplugging it that broke it but it just exposed a problem you already had but was masked. Let us know what you find with the console cable to give you any definitive advice.

Fortunately console is working (I just got my cable from amazon today)!

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,2)

And keep rebooting until it reaches this kernel panic again.

So I believe you are right about the usb stick.

I plan to follow that doc https://lukas.im/2016/01/25/replace-broken-usb-stick-in-ubiquiti-edgemax-routers/index.html

am I right ?

Thanks.

[ Edited ]

So I was able to make it work again. 
The usb stick seems to work after a format. I really think that its content was corrupted when I turned off.

Actually, like you suggested, I did some more research and found in the EdgeOS User Guide that it has a button to shutdown to router with an explicit warning about data corruption when unplugging it like I did..

That's unusual to me, but now I know! I've learn, the hard way.

I would really appreciate a power button on the router itself!

Veteran Member
Kudos: 917
Solutions: 322

[ Edited ]

Good to see you solved your own problem!. Mark the thread as solved.