Highlighted
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

EdgeRouter PoE crashes when 48V is enabled

I've been running an EdgeRouter five-port PoE with a Unifi AP AC Lite attached to the PoE port (eth4), which is in turned switched with eth2 and eth3. This has worked fine for nearly a year.

I recently purchased a Unifi AP AC Pro and tried installing it in the EdgeRouter in the same way the Lite has been running. The Pro didn't light up, and I realized I needed to configure the port to output 48V. I did that, and the router subsequently crashed. On reboot, eth4's new configuration somehow caused the switch configuration to fail, so that eth2, eth3 and eth4 were now independent ports again. This took me some time to figure out.

After reconfiguring the switch, the 48V issue remains. Every time I change the configuratuion on eth4 to output 48V, the router crashes and restarts. The external power supply is the factory supplied 48V 1.25A model, and there is no other gear drawing power from the EdgeRouter. Only eth4 has PoE configured.

Is this a hardware issue in the power supply? Or in the EdgeRouter? Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions

Re: EdgeRouter PoE crashes when 48V is enabled

It seems you're on to something. I tried configuring eth2 for 48V instead of eth4 and that worked perfectly...

So I guess a return is next.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2129
Solutions: 930

Maybe eth4 has a short, or overvoltage protection kicking in, shortening out power temporary, rebooting the router.

It seems you're on to something. I tried configuring eth2 for 48V instead of eth4 and that worked perfectly...

So I guess a return is next.

Thank you.