Veteran Member
Kudos: 2746
Solutions: 129

EdgeRouter fails on a cold start?

[ Edited ]

I've got an EdgeRouter (the one I nabbed for use at home too, just my luck!), unboxed it, plugged it in to my machine, nada. Noticed I had only 10mbit thought "hmm, I wonder if the cable is dodgy", unplugged everything, plugged it back in (same cables), and away she went - thought nothing of it, figured the cable was half out or something.

The EdgeRouter sat like that for 3-4 days, no issues. I shut it down, played with cables for the next hour, moved it next to my switch, plugged it in (different ethernet cable this time) - nothing. Couldn't ping or ssh. Power cycled it and up she came without issue.

Twice now seems to smell a tad fishy. It seems as if my EdgeRouter wont power up on a cold boot. Never encountered this with any of the EdgeRouters at work, and if it was the memory issue my understanding is it'd crash while powered on and not just have issues starting up? I don't have a console cable handy at the moment but I'll try and wrangle one to see if there's any more insight to be had.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this before?

Edit: When I unboxed it it had 1.0 Firmware (and had issues), I updated it to 1.2 Beta as soon as I connected to it and had no issues during the update, or during the reboot that followed.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2746
Solutions: 129

Re: EdgeRouter fails on a cold start?

Are there any hardware tests that can be done to rule out the memory issue, etc before I replace my existing router box?

Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5474
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: EdgeRouter fails on a cold start?

As you probably have seen on the forum, if you think it might be related to memory, please contact support@ubnt.com and we can help you troubleshoot.