Edgerouter 6p setup

[ Edited ]

Hello all.

Probably not a complicated question here, but wanna check first so i dont go buying stuff i dont need..

I got a 1g/1g connection and want to utilize it as much as possible.

What i have right now is a ER-6p, what i want to be able to use in the house is this:

2 servers connected with cable with internet access

1 PC connected with cable with internet access

1 AP-pro (connected with cable to give wifi to all mobile units)

It would be preffered to see the connected units in the same internal LAN.

So im thinking the best way (and with best results when speed is of importance), would be to connect my incoming WAN to eth0 on the er-6p, and from eth1 use cable to a switch (was thinking of getting the unifi us-8-60w), and from the switch give the wired servers and computer internet access, and the AP-pro. (with possibility to link more cables to the switch if needed in the future)

Also thinking of ability to link a second AP to eth2 on the er-6p for guest wifi.

Is it a waste of money going for the us-8-60w, would say a tp-link tl-sg105e be a just as good option? (except for less ports)

Is this a viable solution?

And if not, what would be a better one Man Happy

Thanks for any input!

SuperUser
Kudos: 8927
Solutions: 595
Contributions: 2

Re: Edgerouter 6p setup

The ER-6P does not have a switch, so this doesn't sound like a good fit with everything on the same LAN. 

A ER-X SFP or ER12 sounds like a better fit.   Or go UniFi with the USG-3 and a US-8-60W.    If you need POE+, then go the UniFi route.  

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa

Thanks for the reply, i know the er6p doesnt have a switch, thats why i was thinking of getting a switch to use between the er6p and my LAN.

The erx was not an option because of less throughput, and the er12 doesnt seem to be available to order to .EU in a long time.

So my question was if it would be a working option to go WAN -> er6p -> switch -> servers and AP.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8927
Solutions: 595
Contributions: 2

@Zphere wrote:

Thanks for the reply, i know the er6p doesnt have a switch, thats why i was thinking of getting a switch to use between the er6p and my LAN.

The erx was not an option because of less throughput, and the er12 doesnt seem to be available to order to .EU in a long time.

So my question was if it would be a working option to go WAN -> er6p -> switch -> servers and AP.

In that case, just use an ER-4. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa

Well i already got a er6p so ill probably use it and then add a switch to it, or else i have to buy a er4 and a switch 🤷‍♂️

Emerging Member
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 26

[ Edited ]

If you don't have a current need for PoE or vlans, I would just buy a 5 or preferably 8 port dumb Gb switch.  With a 5 port switch, you will have only 4 available ports once you connect one port to the router.  4 ports will be used more quickly than you think.  Dumb Gb switches are pretty cheap, and if you ever need vlans in the future, you can still use it to fan out a vlan from an untagged port on the smart switch.  I got a TrendNet 5 port switch for $10 during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.  There are several 8 port unmanaged Gb switches on Amazon for under $25.  But I see there is an 8 port TL-SG108E for under $31 (about $5 more than the 5 port model).   At that price difference the 8 port is a much better deal (you will have 7 ports available vs 4). The amazon reviews have some complaints about untagged vlan1 not being able to be disabled, but there are other comments that claim that has been fixed with a newer firmware version.  I have never used one, so I can't say if it is good or bad.  It is by far the least expensive 8 port managed switch I have seen.

Since you just want everything on one network right now, you will have 4 unsed ports on your ER-6P, but that's better than turning your expensive router into a poor switch by using a bridge interface on it.

A managed switch will cost more, but will give you some extra features.  I am partial to the MK CSS106-5G-1S because it has a rich feature set for a lab for use as a wireshark tap, and also exposes most of the Atheros chip features (counters, MAC ACLs etc).  But it does not support SSL or HTTPS (the switching work is done by the Atheros switch chip, the  web interface by an underpowered microcontroller)

If you are interested in the cheap TL-SG108E Tom Laurence has a review on youtube

Inexpensive Budget Switch: TP Link TL-SG108E HW Rev. 3.0 With VLANS & pfsense Review

There are some odd things with Vlan 1 (at least the GUI is not clear).  Like the MK CSS106-5G-1S, there is no SSL or HTTPS support.