Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Edgerouter Lite - Slow and unhappy

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone,

So after alot of expectation I unpacked the router and decided to play with it to get to know it. I am not a masterin networking and it bums me out that even the excellent UI it is still a pain to configure for a pretty straightfoward usage.

I know that its good, has a lot of options but I feel somewhat dissapointed.

After updateing it and loaded it with the SOHO config I get a downspeed of 50mbit and upspeed of 2Mbit. On a 500Mbit ISP Fibre. I checked for information, played with the ip-offload options and nothing seems to make it work faster.

I know there are millions of things which could be at fault here, so I will try to explain as good as I can.

We have a managed switch (the ISP manages it) and each port is 100mbit enabled. When I connect straight to the switch, just using a cable between my laptop and the switch I get 95/89Mbit/sec average speed. i configured my laptop to go straight online using a WAN IP.

When I followed the guides on the normal SOHO setup, I got a speed of 15/2Mbit.

I tried the offload option, and it didnt do much difference

I then proceeded to flash my router with the latest update and add the SOHO config as posted in the sticky, and got better performance. This time I got 50/10Mbit.

I dont really know what I should do next. I only wanted a router that has a straightfoward firewall and Gbit ports. I have a Watchguard FireXL which is easier to configure and is faster (70/70mbit) but is useless without the licencesubscriptions.

The Edgerouter is a great idea. Fast throuput for a low price, great UI but doesnt seem to be a finished product. I know that people want to be able to configure everything themselves and what not, but why not just do standard wizards like Sonicwall does for those that only want to set things up quick and dirty?

Love the product, but I could use some help. I dont know if posting the conf will help as I only have used the standard SOHO conf listed n the forums and changed the WAN settings.

If edgerouter would have the same simplicity as TMG (bad firewall, good idea Man Wink it would sell like hotcakes Man Happy

Thanks for all the helpfull post people and hope this produc will evolve in time to soemthing that offers great network service with all the simplicity it could have and yet offer the CLI for those thT wish to use it Man Happy

PS: Very little documentation about the firewall rules and so on, which I hope will be more in time Man Happy

pps: sorry for the spelling misstakes, on the bus with an android phone.....

Accepted Solutions

Re: Edgerouter Lite - Slow and unhappy

Hi people!

Well, as you guys suggested it was the Switch itself.

Tested and verified - 400Mbit down and 300Mbit up which isnt bad considering we havent tweaked the switch and some parts use CAT5e cables and the rest of the cabinet is a complete mess.....

But I told the customer to phone and yell at me if it dropped below 300Mbit and he hasnt so far so plus points to the people behind the edge Man Very Happy

Put it as a solution and maybe someone should add this problem to the wiki.

On another note... (Maybe I should start another thread but the MOD can decide)

Would it be possible to append different functions of the router on a conf? Sounds dumb maybe, but it would be much easier to just have "snippets" with each function for itself which then could be easy generated into a conf?

For example

Generate me a conf based on:

Webform with checkbuttons and so on etc etc

And out comes a conf ready to go.

Impossible?

And a second note:

Configuring the pptp is pretty straight foward but I get confused with the Security->VPN and Services->PPTP server. Almost the same form for the same function but still a bit confusing. Maybve something which has to be clarified in the docs?

Thanks again for the support and I will pop by here and add some useful info (or questions Man Happy that might arise.

Take care!

/Soul

View solution in original post

All Replies
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3142
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

The example SOHO config has a firewall rule to rate limit icmp.  Just out of curiousity could you try deleting that rule and see if it affects performance?

EdgeMAX Router Software Development

Hi there,

Yes. I removed it and also tried to set a higher MTU. Also removed ICMP completly and the upload suffered but only by 0.5mbit.

I will conduct some more testing on another ISP connection abd I will drop the FW log here. I see alot of dropped packets from LAN to WAN although only a tenth of those that was allowed.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Hi again, 

Well, it seems to work nicely on the other ISP...Which baffles me... 

I have the same managed switch connected to the Watchguard and get way more out of it then the Edgerouter. Even on the same port (on the switch). I will contact the ISP tomorrow, but I still find it wierd since it shouldnt matter.... 

ON another note. I cant enable the IP offload when using the SOHO config? Is this by design? 

I have set the delete system disable-ip.offload and it works, but after commiting, saving and rebooting its still disabled? It says LOADED (Disabled). 

Thanks for the quick help Stig, appreciate it. As I said before, love the product but it could use some imporvements such as; 

1) Simple wizards 

2) More basic configs. Love that you posted those btw. 

3) More comprehensive info on the configuration and the different types of configurations. 

4) Cant the router set values based on the incomming INET connection? Such as MTU etc?

Thanks again for the help, and I will try my best to update the Wiki once I get some more "running conf" experience Man Happy 

/Soul

Another thing. 

THe only thing I had changed was the WAN from Static to DHCP (Have a cable modem 100Mbit at home). Could that have something to do with it? I did a subnet calc and added the static IP as 9X.XX.XXX.XX/28 which is on subnet 255.255.255.240. And it does work. So Im guessing not, but still. Dont have much to go on as the managed switch shouldnt really have anything to do with it but seems to have a something against the Edge router.... 

Established Member
Kudos: 190
Solutions: 6

Could it Be the edgerouter doesn't like the ISP's modem/NTE?

I'm sure saw it somewhere else on here where when a certian switch was connected the throughput ground to a halt.

Mine will max out my 80Mbit/s VDSL downstream at home even if it's transfering over the IPSEC tunnel to my co-lo'd stuff.

The router at the co-lo end isn't accelerated for normal traffic as apperently acceleration doesnt work with vlans (It is crypto acceleratred for the IPSEC tho)

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3142
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

If you post your config we can see what would be disabling the offload (although even without offload you should be able to do way better than 50Mb.

BTW, with every release we are trying add more features to offload and reduce the number of features that disable offload.  Soon we'll be beta testing the support for IPv6 offload.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development
Established Member
Kudos: 190

[ Edited ]

Now for a completely unscientific test.

I decided to try and put some Load on my ERL in the Co-location site, It was a somewhat interesting experiance as seeing as all I really have there is a couple of entry level servers running KVM and a NAS disk.

MY ERL also has a lot of firewall rules on.

Test was as follows.

1) From a VM running on one of the servers I logged into the Nas via FTP and begun pulling a large file ~15GB The nas disk sits on a seperate Vlan to the VM's and I do not have a L3 capable switch so the traffic HAS to transverse the ERL to get to it.

2) I then decided to Wget serveral 1GB test files from various locations on the internet saving the output to /dev/null (To try and reduce disk I/O)

Eth0 is my internal interface, Eth 2 is my uplink to the internet, Since IP accelleration does not work with Vlans I presume that no traffic was accelerated (The VM is on ETH 0 Vlan 4)

I used Cacti (Running in another VM on one of the servers) with the realtime plugin to generate the graphs.

dragon-colo ERL.png

dragon-colo ERL.png

Check the port settings on the switch? Perhaps duplex mismatch.

Kudos: 78
Solutions: 5

Could it be you're isp is connected with pppoe interface? I'm seeing these performance results on a high-bandwith broadband pppoe link. The cpu of the erl is the bottleneck in my setup, the erl tops at 150 - 200Mbps with very high cpu-load at that rate.

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check this with the ISP provider on Thur/Fri and post the results here so that maybe someone else will benefit.

What I find strange is that its a managed Fiber-LAN switch and the Watchguard does more throughput then the edgerouter. But when I run the same edgerouter at home (with just a cablemodem) I max out the bandwidth.

The other difference is that the ISP switch is 100mbit ports and my Laptop has Gbit. I tried setting both ports to 100mbit but it didnt do much difference.

@Stig - I will post the config but it is the standard SOHO v2 (mrjester?) config. No changes we made except for the WAN IP/Gateway.

I will talk to the ISP tech and see what it is. The problem isnt the edgerouter, but the combination somehow, which could be a bug that needs reporting Man Happy

Thanks again ppl! BBL with more info.

/Soul
Kudos: 26

Hello everyone!

Edgerouter Lite is a mastepiece and is meant for those who want to get the best performance and are not afraid of CLI. Man Happy

I am using a ERL in a production environment and has wirespeed performance!

This evening I saw it reaching 1Gbps on the uplink port with the processor usage below 10%.

So, it's far ahead any competitor in terms of performance and price.

Our ERL has also a 15k of BGP routes, hundreds of NAT rules  and manages everything gracefully.

So, the performance of 50Mbps down/ 2 mbps up is not ERL's fault definitely! 100% is your provider's or hardware you connect to them!

UBNT, keep going on with the next models of EdgeMax!Ubnt Banana

Waiting for more ports and SFP rackmountable models.

By the way, do you have any updates of upcoming models?Confused5

Ben

@Ben

I agree! For the price it can't really be beaten. And the CLI isn't as scary as BSD since there aren't that many commands anyways.

What I just felt was that just because its highly customizable doesn't mean it can't be made simpler. The "problem" with the edge is that it's an enterprise product which is automatically directed at the consumer market for one reason only. The price/hardware cost. And there is no harm in doing it simpler for those who only want a "standard" config and for those who wish to do more, there is the CLI Man Happy

/Soul
Kudos: 89

[ Edited ]

Guys, don't get all "hard fans" style Man Happy
He said he has a FW on ERL, and you should know by now that not every setup allow ERL to route at wirespeed. Especially if you use it as a SOHO router (which imply FW and some addtionnal workloads that seem to have huge impact on ERL, for the time being (I know, WIP)).
I'm not saying you are wrong (for a pure routing setup for example), but keep your mind clear Man Happy

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5480
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Yes of course you are right that it can be made simpler. As discussed on the forum before, we do plan to develop simplified mechanisms like wizard/templates in the Web UI for common functions such as firewall and NAT. We certainly know this is important and it is on the TODO list. Thanks for your feedback!

Hi Everyone,

Problem most probably solved. Will test it tomorrow.

Called up the ISP and this time (not like last time I phoned them and all was ok....) I got hold of a proper tech guy who started to check it properly.

The problem was as pointed out before, the ports on the switch (Fiberswitch) was set to 100Mbit halfduplex... And the switch went bananas when I connected it to the ERL.
So now they have set it to 1000Mbit and I will test it properly tomorrow. But my customers internet is much quicker for a reason Man Wink

Thanks for all the suggestions and please don't mark it as solved until I have checked it properly. I will report it back tomorrow Man Happy

@ UBNT-ancheng - Thanks for listening to your users!

/Soul
Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

...and?

Don't leave us hanging!Icon Smile

Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - LinkPro SH-8160GSb switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as AP)

Hi people!

Well, as you guys suggested it was the Switch itself.

Tested and verified - 400Mbit down and 300Mbit up which isnt bad considering we havent tweaked the switch and some parts use CAT5e cables and the rest of the cabinet is a complete mess.....

But I told the customer to phone and yell at me if it dropped below 300Mbit and he hasnt so far so plus points to the people behind the edge Man Very Happy

Put it as a solution and maybe someone should add this problem to the wiki.

On another note... (Maybe I should start another thread but the MOD can decide)

Would it be possible to append different functions of the router on a conf? Sounds dumb maybe, but it would be much easier to just have "snippets" with each function for itself which then could be easy generated into a conf?

For example

Generate me a conf based on:

Webform with checkbuttons and so on etc etc

And out comes a conf ready to go.

Impossible?

And a second note:

Configuring the pptp is pretty straight foward but I get confused with the Security->VPN and Services->PPTP server. Almost the same form for the same function but still a bit confusing. Maybve something which has to be clarified in the docs?

Thanks again for the support and I will pop by here and add some useful info (or questions Man Happy that might arise.

Take care!

/Soul

Kudos: 1462
Solutions: 34

Just to give a sense of throughput performance ERL is capable of under typical residential fiber broadband deployment.

• Native Dual-stack IPv4 & IPv6 on FTTH broadband
  • IPv4 Static IP Address
  • IPv6 Static IP Addresses (/48)
  • Firewall for both IPv4 and IPv6 - approx. 22 rules for IPv4 and >30 rules for IPv6
  • IPv4 NAT
  • IPv4 Port Forwarding (hosting smtp, ftp, NAS replication, Apple iCal, AddressBook, IMAP, etc)
  • Both IPv4 and IPv6 Offload enabled on ERL

This is the throughput achievable during a holiday (4 days over a weekend) speedboost that the ISP provided to all its subscribers.

ViewQwest Fibernet - Holiday 1Gbps Speedboost

How many concurrent connections can the edgerouter handle simultaneously?