Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

Edgerouter Pro + USB LTE modem

I am trying to figure out how to configure Edgerouter Pro as double uplink router. My problem is that I can't configure my LTE modem (ZTE MF823), to work with it. I just can't debug it, cause none of the udev tools works. Has anyone successed at this?

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5465
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: Edgerouter Pro + USB LTE modem

Our current system does not use udev, so you probably need to get udev working on it first if that is required.

Emerging Member

I did some more investigation and it seems that according to this webpage (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Networking#Things_to_keep_in_mind) I need cdc_ether module and USB_NETWORKING kernel options set on. Are they set in current edgerouter kernel?

Previous Employee

Those are not enabled in the current kernel configuration, but we could look into adding those.

Highlighted
Emerging Member

As far as I know, we are not able to recompile kernel on our own. So if it is possible, please make it available at least as alternate dev release for community.

Established Member
Kudos: 598
Solutions: 36

In some situations, would be nice to be able to put a "Mobile Data Stick" in there for emergency access, or also basic fail-over... Any plans on this?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

Yeah that would be a nice extra... In the meantime you can use Dovado products that can act as a bridge so you don't have double NAT - I'm using 3 Dovado Pros and am quite fond of it.

This would be an outstanding feature to add to the ERP line of Routers.  Is there any update, or forward motion on this?

Thanks,

Michael

Previous Employee

Yeah actually the module/setting mentioned in this thread have been included/enabled since the v1.6.0 release.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 4

@UBNT-ancheng is it now possible to use USB dongle for 4g?

When yes witch USB dongle is supported?

Kudos: 89
Solutions: 3

@UBNT-ancheng Could you let us know if you guys have tried to use anything with the ER8 via usb? I'm looking to do the same thing but I'm concerned my device won't work (Netgear/Sierra AC770S). I'd also be interested to know if this would work via a Phone tether, as I could just move my sim over to an iphone or android device and tether via usb.

Previous Employee

I tried some storage devices a while back and they seemed to work. For LTE modems I've added the kernel modules and config options that were mentioned earlier in the thread, but haven't tested with an actual device and not sure if anyone has tried it yet.

Kudos: 9

Last week I was testing the new Unifi Security Gateway Pro.

This router has also an USB connection on the front.

I placed a USB LTE stick (ZTE K5008-Z), whch also uses the csc_ether kernel module.

At first nothing happened, but that's because the module is not loaded automatically

Then I logged on to the router through SSH, sudo to root, run:

modprobe cdc_ether

The I have a usb0 interface.

running

dhclient usb0

Gives the usb0 a IP address (from the usb stick).

And I have internet on the router through LTE!

Another option i tried (also through ssh commandline)

configure
set interfaces bridge br0 address dhcp
set interfaces ethernet eth3 bridge-group bridge br0
commit
save

Then I ran as root

modprobe csc_ether
brctl addif br0 usb0

And tada!, interwebz through LTE.

Only needed to add some firewall rules and add masquarading NAT rules for the br0 device and the router 'shares' the mobile internet connection for everything on the LAN.

I hope the EdgeRouter Pro will get the same installation base as the USG-Pro soon, so this would also be possible to do on an EdgeRouter Pro.

Maybe the developers from Ubiquiti could look into adding usb0 into the standard configuration options somehow.

But I think we're almost there!

With an USG-Pro it's alreay possible with minimal changes outside the standard config options.

With kind regards,

Robert

Previous Employee

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. Just to confirm, could you clarify if you mean this is not working on the EdgeRouter Pro? Also do you mean the "minimal changes outside the standard config options" is not possible on the EdgeRouter Pro? Just want to confirm these points since either of them would probably mean some bug somewhere that should be fixed. Thanks again!

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3126
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Upstream had some cli support for wireless modems.  It would be interesting if it work with your LTE modem.   See - https://github.com/vyos/vyatta-wirelessmodem

EdgeMAX Router Software Development
Previous Employee

@UBNT-stig wrote:

Upstream had some cli support for wireless modems.  It would be interesting if it work with your LTE modem.   See - https://github.com/vyos/vyatta-wirelessmodem

Actually the wirelessmodem code was never took out, it is right there in the CLI ("set interfaces wirelessmodem ..." etc.) so it should be easy to try (although most likely changes would be needed to bring it up to date).

Kudos: 415
Solutions: 11

This would be really interesting for WAN failover. Count me in.

Kudos: 2

@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

@UBNT-stig wrote:

Actually the wirelessmodem code was never took out, it is right there in the CLI ("set interfaces wirelessmodem ..." etc.) so it should be easy to try (although most likely changes would be needed to bring it up to date).

So if I plug in the LTE modem I should be able to configure it with out loading any modules? I don't have the cdc_ether on my router (ERLite with 1.70 firmware). I did test the set command from a previous message.

Kudos: 9

I believer the last time I tried it on the EdgeRouter Pro, it was missing a kernel module.

Just checked, and the 1.7.0 firmware does include the cdc_ether kernel module, so I guess there was another module missing.

It also depends on which LTE USB stick you have. Some LTE sticks start in 'cd-rom' mode so Windows can install the correct drivers and a usb_modeswitch command is needed before it is switched to 'virtual ethernet device' mode.

I don't know if the usb stick I currently use starts in 'virtual ethernet' mode, or it switches from 'cd-rom' to 'virtual ethernet' mode after a timeout, or that the usb_modeswitch is correctly installed and configured on the USG-Pro.

A few months back I already tried the wirelessmodem config option, but I believe that only works with serial based modems (using ppp to setup a connection).

If that code could be 'enhanced' to support usb modeswitch based, virtual ethernet, LTE USB sticks, you have a future proof way of easily adding LTE support of several brands

Tomorrow I'm back in the office and I'll try the Edgerouter and USG-Pro again.

Kudos: 2

@exarv, thanks for the cd_rom/virtual ethernet info. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the device (in a few weeks).

I can't seem to find the cdc_ether module on my systen. When a doo a find from the command line I see this:

root@Router:/# find / | egrep -i 'ether|cdc|modem' | egrep '.ko$'
/lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/octeon/ethernet-mem.ko
/lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/octeon/octeon-ethernet.ko
/lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/octeon/octeon_common.ko
/sys/module/octeon_ethernet/parameters/disable_lockless_pko
root@Router:/#

Do I have to do anything additional to get the extra modules ?