Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Edgerouter X Can't connect on Linux Mint 18.1 Serena

Provider - Cox 100D/10U

Modem - Arris SurfBoard 6190

OS - Linux Mint 18.1 Serena

Laptop - Lenovo Thinkpad T400s

I'm trying to get the router to work, it won't connect to internet through the router, I have to plug directly into the modem.  

How to set this up to work? (quickstart guide that comes with it not useful)(watched a few videos on YT, didn't help, so I'm here)

Note:  I got this router because the guy at best buy said a switch was enough, it wasn't, I never could get that to work at all--and I've never just used a switch, always used modem and sometimes modem+router to connect to internet(sometimes even modem+router combo devices which are both in one).  I did research online, cause all they had there was netgear(yuck) and I wanted a real router, so I returned the switch and got the best router I could find online which many people recommended:  EdgeRouter X.  I got this router because I want to hookup my Linux based laptop, and my son's Windows 7 based gaming computer with wired ONLY internet and all those netgear and other routers seem to all be WiFi(yes, I know you can turn it off, but I just don't want it even as an option, want WIRED only).  Most things are plug n play with Linux, not sure why this router giving me such a hard time, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 189
Solutions: 59

Re: Edgerouter X Can't connect on Linux Mint 18.1 Serena

@prophageus

You probably skipped step 2 in the guide, which requires you set a static IP address on your computer, when connecting to eth0, to complete the setup.
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter

There should only be a network cable between your computer and the router's eth0 port, when you setup the router - after that, then you connect things to their ethX port (depends on your configuration) and change your computer IP address back to DHCP.

Note: This router is not a plug-n-play device.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 4

Did you reboot the modem after connecting the ER-X?

Here are the steps I've tried so far:

1. Everything off. Plugged in ethernet cables, plugged in router, plugged in modem. Didn't Work (DW)
2. Everything off. Plugged in eth cables, plugged in modem, after it booted, plugged in router. DW
3. Kept everything plugged in, reset router. DW
4. Kept everything plugged in, reset modem. DW
5. Tried to follow videos on YT--Hooked up computer directly to router(sans inet) in eth0, won't show up. Tried Opera, Chromium, Firefox. DW
6. Gave up.
7. Joined forum and posted post.

@prophageus

You probably skipped step 2 in the guide, which requires you set a static IP address on your computer, when connecting to eth0, to complete the setup.
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter

There should only be a network cable between your computer and the router's eth0 port, when you setup the router - after that, then you connect things to their ethX port (depends on your configuration) and change your computer IP address back to DHCP.

Note: This router is not a plug-n-play device.

Ahh, yes, that was one step I must have missed, setting IP on my computer. Now I just have to figure out how to do that.

..brb.

[ Edited ]

After figuring out how to do that, and following the video, the internet works on both computers now. Thank you flamber..!

EDIT:  Note - I wasn't aware of the beginner guide, I was trying to use the quickstart little booklet that came with the router, that didn't work, so I used YT videos, but must have missed the part you mentioned...  

@prophageus
Great you got it working. Like most other electronics - always check the website for updated information before reading a physical manual, that might be several years old.
But please note: This router is not a typical home-router, and you can easily make configurations, where you accidentally lock yourself out of the router and need to reset the router and start from the beginning to get going again.

Ok, yes, I downloaded the update for the firmware before I attempted logging into the router and had a little trouble uploading/updating that, the GUI was all wonky, something about displaying invisible headers, but I closed the window and relogged and it was fine.

Thanks for the note. I'll only mess with settings I know how to use. Man Happy