Reply
Senior Member
Posts: 3,284
Registered: ‎07-28-2009
Kudos: 978
Solutions: 44

Edgerouter vs Mikrotik?

[ Edited ]

I know this has probably been asked before, but I am trying to see what the relative performance of Edgerouters are now to Mikrotik.

 

Our ISP runs UBNT for wireless, but uses MK for Edge, Core, and tower routers.  If I were to look at UBNT routers what would be equivalent or better as far as pure packet pushing performance.  I know it all depends on the configuration, but I am looking for general performance comparissons.

 

Edge

  • Our Edge is an 8 core i7 x86 running ROS 5.21 with 2 BGP feeds running full routing tables (~500,000+ routes per peer)
  • It is also our edge firewall with ~149 rules
  • Address list has around 2000 entries
  • This router also acts as our rate limiter device putting each customer (based on IP) into the proper speed queue.
  • The rate limiting is done via packet marks in the router's firewall (Mangle) with around 91 rules
  • The rate limiting is limited via a Queue Tree with around 84 different queue types
  • Average CPU use on the router is around 13-20% when when pushing around 400-800Mbps to our ~1000 customers.

What would be a comparable UBNT router model?

 

Core

  • Core router is a MK CCR-1016 w/ROS 6.x https://routerboard.com/CCR1016-12S-1Splus
  • Uses static routing only with around 56 routes
  • Also acts as core firewall with around 70 rules
  • Average CPU usage pushing 400-800Mbps is less than 20%

What would be a comparable or better UBNT router model?

 

Tower 

  • Most towers are RB850Gx2 w/ROS 6.x https://routerboard.com/RB850Gx2  however I have some smaller towers with RB493G or RB750GL routers.
  • Uses static routing only with the heaviest loaded router with around 25 routes.
  • Each tower router acts as its own DHCP server handing out IPV4 publics.  No NAT.
  • Each router firewall has around 31 rules
  • Each tower router handles between 30 at the least to right now around 300 at the most users.
  • Heaviest tower pushes around 200Mbps at peak hours with peak CPU usage around 30%

What would be a comparable or better UBNT router model?

 

I am very familiar and comfortable with MK routers and love Winbox.  However, I also want to make sure I am not limiting myself by only using MK and I am willing to learn UBNT routing syntax.  Does it really come down to preference or are there some other reasons I cannot find in marketing literature that would make adding UBNT to my routing hardware choices a good idea?

Member
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎11-01-2014
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 3

Re: Edgerouter vs Mikrotik?


@sbyrd wrote:

 Does it really come down to preference or are there some other reasons I cannot find in marketing literature that would make adding UBNT to my routing hardware choices a good idea?


What areas do you find Mikrotik lacking, or performing sub-optimally, in your current setup? If none, then you probably have little to gain by swapping it out.

Senior Member
Posts: 3,284
Registered: ‎07-28-2009
Kudos: 978
Solutions: 44

Re: Edgerouter vs Mikrotik?


@microlinux wrote:

@sbyrd wrote:

 Does it really come down to preference or are there some other reasons I cannot find in marketing literature that would make adding UBNT to my routing hardware choices a good idea?


What areas do you find Mikrotik lacking, or performing sub-optimally, in your current setup? If none, then you probably have little to gain by swapping it out.


I don't think anything is performing badly, but I just wanted to know how Edgemax compares to Mtik, and make sure I am not 'missing out' on anything that UBNT might do better than MK.  Because even though MK seems to be working well for me now it does not mean that they will always be the best way forward.

Member
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎11-01-2014
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 3

Re: Edgerouter vs Mikrotik?


@sbyrd wrote:

I don't think anything is performing badly, but I just wanted to know how Edgemax compares to Mtik, and make sure I am not 'missing out' on anything that UBNT might do better than MK.  Because even though MK seems to be working well for me now it does not mean that they will always be the best way forward.


 

Lacking any specific points of comparison, I'd say it boils down to requirements and personal preference. I have used Mikrotik devices where I have complex bandwidth management needs - that is one area they have a clear advantage. 

Reply