[ Edited ]

Thank you very much, you saved my life... Smiley Wink

It works perfectly in 1.10.8

Established Member
Kudos: 204
Solutions: 79

Re: GUIDE: How to configure Local PPTP VPN on 1.5.0 Firmware, works on iOS

Two quick things:

1) PPTP is considered *very* bad in terms of security, so it is not recommended for use anymore. Given that security is so poor with this protocol (super easy to break the encryption), you really don't want to be doing anything sensitive over this type of VPN connection.

2) Related to my first point, PPTP has been deprecated and removed from many OS's, including iOS (without any question, it is gone from 12, and 11 as well, IIRC).

Consider using a more modern and safer VPN solution such as OpenVPN, WireGuard, or even some of the IPSec options. All are available for EdgeOS and iOS/Mac OS.

Thanks for your advice, I think the same as you but I have used PPTP because I have not been able to setup OpenVPN even though I have read everything I have found on the web in recent days.

Do you know any tutorials where they explain in a simple and clear way how to mount an OpenVPN server?

Established Member
Kudos: 204
Solutions: 79

Try this guide. 

Thanks again, I've taken a look at the tutorial and it seems much more complete than the others I've seen before (especially the firewall section). This afternoon I will try to see if I am capable.

Regards,

Great, thank you again. With the tutorial of that link I have managed to raise and configure OpenVPN correctly and access from internet with Windows10 computers and Android mobile, perfect.

The other tutorials did not indicate the steps to configure the vtun0 and the Firewall rules.

Regards,
Emerging Member
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 4

I also did a guide for L2TP / IPSEC, that does work natively with iOS, Windiws, and Ubiquiti. 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/How-to-Setup-Guide-to-Configure-iOS-iPhone-to-use-Ubiquiti/...

This works without any additional software needing to be installed anywhere.