Highlighted
Kudos: 3
Accepted Solution

Getting OpenVPN correctly working and routing

OK, so I am not sure if I am doing this right, I am kind of learning as I go. 

What I am trying to do is setup my router to utlize Private Internet Access VPN for a set group of addresses. So far I have not been able to get this to work. I have gone through a few posts on here and every avenue I have tried so far has failed. 

I am attaching my config and the related ovpn config files needed for connection. Can someone please help me out, I would apreciate it.

I hope in the future we may see some of this built into a nice step by step tutorial, but right now I just want to get it working. 

Attachment
Attachment
Attachment

Accepted Solutions
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5471
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: Getting OpenVPN correctly working and routing

A couple of things I noticed:

• The "dev tun" line in the .ovpn file should be changed to "dev-type tun" (as discussed before this prevents it from overriding the device name).
  • You might want to add a firewall rule to the WAN_LOCAL ruleset to explicitly allow OpenVPN traffic (e.g., action accept, protocol UDP, destination port 1194).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5471
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

A couple of things I noticed:

• The "dev tun" line in the .ovpn file should be changed to "dev-type tun" (as discussed before this prevents it from overriding the device name).
  • You might want to add a firewall rule to the WAN_LOCAL ruleset to explicitly allow OpenVPN traffic (e.g., action accept, protocol UDP, destination port 1194).
Kudos: 338
Solutions: 45

I dont use .ovpn config files for mine, but I describe the process I use to setup OpenVPN here.

I figured it out. I had to change the dev tun thing but also I had to setup my route table a little different. The other issue I found was using the no-routepull option to keep my internet active. 

Thanks

Emerging Member
Solutions: 1

would you be able to share your config file? i have been strugling to set my PIA vpn for a long time. Or would you be able to help look at this thread?

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Can-someone-help-look-what-s-wrong-with-my-openvpn-setup/m-p/95...

thanks

I have attached my files. I have a lot of rules and I was too lazy to delete them so just ignore all of those.

One of the key things that I had to fix was actually in the ovpn file. I noticed you are missing the crl.pem line, I would recommend you try adding the last two lines of my ovpn file to yours and make sure you place the pem file in the appropriate location. 

I also am only using PIA for certian devices that I add to an address group. I did this to make it easy to filter out what goes through the VPN, and what goes through the normal pipeline. If you want everything to go through the VPN, you will have to make some slight modifications but otherwise it should still work for you.

Attachment
Attachment
Kudos: 2

hi real newb here, i tried to load your Config.boot file and ended up having to hard reset my router to get back into it...

running 1.6 on my Edge router lite.. 

how do you properly load these config.boot files cuz i would really like to get my ERL working with my PIA.

thanks guys.