Home network with domotics and video intercom

Hi guys I am a beginner at this stuff so I came ask for your help.

Currently I am in an apartment building, and each apartment has a touch panel with a single LAN port that is connected directly to what I assume is a switch, that connects to the video intercom in the lobby. All the panels in every apartment are part of the same network with diffetent static IPs:

Intercom: 192.168.0.231

My panel: 192.168.0.50

I already disconnected the cable from my touch panel and connected the panel to my Edgerouter X allowing me to control my lights and blinds from my LAN.

What I am looking to do now is be able to have access to the lobby Intercom so people can ring the doorbell downstairs and I can answer and open the door.

I already setup the Edgerouter X to have WAN (from my ISP router) on eth0 port and create a LAN with 192.168.2.0/24 on eth1, eth2 and eth3. I was thinking of doing all configuration for the intercom on eth4.

How can I connect the video intercom cable, that comes from the lobby, so that:

- I have access to the door

- the door has access to the panel ONLY for sending ring signal

- and block everything else

Thanks!

Veteran Member
Kudos: 830
Solutions: 294

Re: Home network with domotics and video intercom

this isn't a edgerouter question, this isn't even a networking question. Your asking us to reverse engineer a video intercom system with no make or model information, find the protocols that are used, then tell you how to put your own equipment between the two devices to disrupt certain communication.

Your barking up the wrong tree.

Re: Home network with domotics and video intercom

@smyers119 wrote:
this isn't a edgerouter question, this isn't even a networking question. Your asking us to reverse engineer a video intercom system with no make or model information, find the protocols that are used, then tell you how to put your own equipment between the two devices to disrupt certain communication.

Your barking up the wrong tree.

wtf.. I am not asking to reverse engineer anything...

I already know the intercom acts like a web server with 192.168.0.0/24 network and it uses normal http protocol to communicate and send the information, nothing special...

Then it's connected to a switch and distributed to all apartments that have static ip's.

I even talked with the guy that installed the system and he explained that I had to separate the two networks (mine and the intercom's) but he wanted to charge me 500 bucks to do it, said it was really complicated and it had to buy and expensive router to do it... 

He said I could do it myself instead if I wanted... 

As I am an programmer and have basic network knowledge, I lke to learn things, I am trying to do it myself instead of giving money to take him like 10m and be done with it... sorry if you don't agree but for me it's a total ripoff.

And not only that I want to be sure it is done right and that no one can access my home network and that I cannot access other people's panels.

I am just trying to get some help to configure the router so I can block unwanted traffic to my home and still access the intercom...

Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 830
Solutions: 294