Kudos: 1

How many OpenVPN connections can the EdgeRouter/EdgeRouterPro handle?

How many OpenVPN site to site connections can the EdgeRouter handle?  Could the EdgeRouter handle being a VPN termination point for a main office with multiple branch offices?  

Thanks.

Homer.

Kudos: 52
Solutions: 6

Re: How many OpenVPN connections can the EdgeRouter/EdgeRouterPro handle?

My EdgeRouter POE can only manage 18 Mbps through OpenVPN.  My upstream is only 22Mbps, but my downstream is 120 Mbps.  So I think bandwidth will be your issue before number of connections.  Previously, I used my NAS for OpenVPN and it could max out my connection.  In the end, I felt OpenVPN on the ER5POE was more secure. I also like having VPN access at that level because only the modem and router need to be working, which makes remote troubleshooting easier.

Kudos: 231
Solutions: 26

I have never used more than 2 client-server connections at once, but I have a few ERL with 8 site to site vonnections. I never run into any problems with the OpenVPN service failing. None of my sites have bandwidth that could max out the system though.

Also I only send the appropriate traffic over the VPN so unrelated traffic goes out the local router, not through the tunnels.

Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2749
Solutions: 129

The main issue is bandwidth, not number of clients. This ends up being the limiting factor long before the number of connections max out.

If it's site-to-site, why not use ipsec? It's in-kernel (unlike OpenVPN), and its crypto is offloaded.