Accepted Solution

How to view all connected devices (including static) and connected VPN clients? and L2TP over IPSec?

[ Edited ]

Dear all, 

I have just purchased an ERL and to be honest I am a bit disappointed with its Web GUI. While I knew it is an "enterprise-grade" router and things can be set with CPI, I did expect the GUI to be more comprehensive as I am also an owner of a Draytek 2960 (although I am not at all a networking guy). 

It is a little more complex than I wished but still easy enough to setup internet connection, port forwarding, firewall and L2TP VPN. I have been in search for a place where all the connected devices is listed but to no avail only the DHCP leases are listed. Is there anyway I can also see which static ip devices are connected? 

I have also played a little with the VPN. However, since I may share the VPN to others, I would like to monitor their usage from time to time and who is connected. Is there a place for that? 

I have successfully setup L2TP Server following the instructions here:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204950294-EdgeMAX-L2TP-Server

I have also tried setting up L2TP over IPSec following the instructions here: 

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204959404-EdgeMAX-Set-up-L2TP-over-IPsec-VPN-server

However I received the following error: 

Only one of dhcp-interface and outside-address can be defined

So what exactly is going on? 

I also read elsewhere that I can install some packages to the EdgeOS to expand the functions. Am I just imagining things or do they really exist? Thanks in advance for your help!

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1145
Solutions: 232

Re: How to view all connected devices (including static) and connected VPN clients? and L2TP over IP

Hi @saldtch

"show arp" form the CLI might be what you are looking for. You could also specifiy an interface like "show arp eth2" to see connected devices in the ARP table.

When setting up the L2TP server, depending on if you have a DHCP or static WAN IP you would either set the dhcp interface or the outside address but not both.

You can install packages on your EdgeRouter, however this is "outside of the configuration". 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

Re: How to view all connected devices (including static) and connected VPN clients? and L2TP over IP

Hi @saldtch

"show arp" form the CLI might be what you are looking for. You could also specifiy an interface like "show arp eth2" to see connected devices in the ARP table.

When setting up the L2TP server, depending on if you have a DHCP or static WAN IP you would either set the dhcp interface or the outside address but not both.

You can install packages on your EdgeRouter, however this is "outside of the configuration". 

Hi Jordan, 

Thanks very much for the reply. "show arp" is just what I need. I have gone over the L2TP over IPSec instructions again and I found I misread the "Outside Address and Next Hop" Title. 

So is there any way to show all the connected VPN clients and their external addresses? 

Thanks. 

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes, To view vpn information you can use "show vpn remote-access" or "show vpn ipsec sa" the second command will show more detail and the remote public IP.