Kudos: 1

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

I had.... a simple cable modem.

Setup my edgerouter x with WAN+2LAN2's set it up with a review I saw on youtube, it was pretty straight forward. Set my own ip address on my computer with google dns. Plug new stuff in and go......

Enter new challenge:

I had switched to DSL from cable to both save on price and upgrade since I was incurring bufferbloat and A LOT of congestion in my cable package.

The modem is a SmartRG SR505N modem/router combo, I hate it and would of opted for a dedicated modem but, options and knowledge at the time were limited and I've made my grave for now. I followed this https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/200502995-SmartRG-505N-Modem-Setup-VDSL-Bridged-.
Im not with Teksavvy, but same story with a 3rd party provider. I isolated the issue, it wasn't the modem afaik. Now one other issue I'm having is the modem is default 192.168.1.1 which I believed was having an ipconflict with the router since it had the same ip but even after I changed it I can't access my modem.

The router is EdgerouterX. I had a previous configuration for my cable modem and I don't know how to remove the old settings properly as I've tried the 30/30/30? reset, Runtime reset, power up reset, and reset config from the systems dropdown menu below. Nothing worked, it seemed like as long drawn as the old tech support go to, "have you tried restarting your router?"

After 6 hrs of troubleshooting I was going no where and I finally made a minor break through by setting it as a basic setup instead of the Lan+2WAN2. What I need... is someone to explain to me how to properly set this up either in the old LAN+2WAN2 config I had or anything simpler. I have to connect My main computer + 2 others + a ubiquiti Ap to my setup and I don't want to proceed any further until I get some guidance since getting just 1 computer connected was a struggle.

TLDR:

-I don't know what I'm doing

-I need to setup my modem more properly? I can't access it even now on 192.168.1.1 (nothing changed other than putting it in bridge mode

-I need to setup the router properly, currently accessing it on 192.168.2.1 under the basic setup but I still need to properly setup for....my computer + 2 other pcs + 1 AP

-If there's time clean up my interface list since I tried to delete them and they just went from eth0-4 to Local

Help.....!

SuperUser
Kudos: 5144
Solutions: 1458

Re: I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

If you've reset the router, it's back at factory defaults.

You have to plug a PC (with static IP) into eth0, and access the router at 192.168.1.1 in order to run one of the setup wizards.

Then run the wizard, and set the LAN subnet to something other than 192.168.1.0/24 (such as 192.168.2.0/24).  Apply the settings / reboot / whatever, and it'll be set.

All other "LAN" devices will also need their IP addresses corrected (a reboot should take care of it).

[ Edited ]

I assigned the router to 192.168.2.1 and ran a wizard, I ran the basic one this time which gave me the ability to connect to the web finally.

The other ones seemed to be automatically assigned? I'm guessing because I had a switch interface or something that auto assigned new plugged in connections from my previous setup that wasn't wiped.

It's not broken anymore but I figured its working for now don't break it any further.... still bothers me that it doesn't feel correctly setup.

I'm able to access the ubnt control panel but still not my modem. I think the modem is also weird because its supposed to be in bridge mode, but the wifi is still enabled and now I can't access the control panel from 192.168.1.1 on either a separate device from wifi access or the wired access.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5144
Solutions: 1458

post the ER config and we can take a look for you

Kudos: 43
Solutions: 15

[ Edited ]

If the modem is in bridge mode, it might not allow you to access it, unless you reset it that is, what you need to do is have your edgerouter set up correctly with either DHCP on the WAN or PPPoE, you need to check with your ISP what kinds of settings you need on the WAN side.

Edit: didnt realize you already got it working, if you have public IP on your WAN on edgerouter, you cannot access your modem, and your not supposed to. If you need to access it you probably have to set a manual IP on your PC and connect directly to the modem on whatever subnet it has, according to you 192.168.1.X

Emerging Member
Kudos: 75
Solutions: 10

Hi, I have an ERX and Access Point setup guide that might help you. It assumes your modem provides a DHCP address. I can't help you with the modem, but I think the guide is otherwise pretty comprehensive. The guide is offsite and is discussed at:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/New-ERX-AC-AP-LR-setup-guide-for-beginners/m-p/1906477

-Mike

'Mark as Solution' or Kudos as appropriate.

I'm guessing I go to the CLI for that?

What's the command?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 75
Solutions: 10

IF you are addressing my post, which was the last comment, please look at the document "Ubiquiti Home Network.pdf" at

https://github.com/mjp66/Ubiquiti

'Mark as Solution' or Kudos as appropriate.
Kudos: 68
Solutions: 13

When gateways are in bridge mode you might have to wired and plug directly into the gateway if it has extra ports. If it's a single port gateway, then a wired connection should get u to the gateway.
Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 593
Solutions: 163

The comments that you cannot access a gateway (modem) in bridge mode except by direct access are generally wrong. But the IP address would very likely not be 192.168.1.1.

Try 192.168.100.1 which is quite common for this. Sometimes 10.0.0.1 is used. Give those a shot.