Highlighted
Emerging Member
Solutions: 3
Accepted Solution

IPTV using Two IPTV Enabled WANS

Hi Everyone,

I have three WAN connections on eth0, eth1 & eth2 and two LAN ports eth3 and eth4.  Two of the three WAN's (eth0 and eth1) are load balanced with eth1 acting as a failover. Eth0 and eth1 both have IPTV traffic being broadcasted from them. 

In a previous thread I was able to configure IPTV traffic from eth0 to be broadcast to eth4.  I used IGMP-Proxy, enabled a few firewall rules on WAN_IN and WAN_LOCAL and created a PBR to allow the STB's to communicate directly through the gateway on eth0.

I will now like to get IPTV traffic from eth1 sent to eth4 however IGMP-Proxy only allows one upstream. Right now when I plug in a STB from eth1's provider the channel starts of well then stutters then stops.  Ultimately I'll like that I can plug in an STB on eth4 from the provider on eth0 or eth1 and have it working properly.

I'm trying to think of workarounds but I'm stumped so I'm asking the experts for advice.  I'm willing to purchase additional hardware if required.  I'm considering an idea of setting up a VPN/PPPOE Server on a seperate device with it's WAN using the provider on eth1.  I'll then have a inexpensive router/device to connect to the VPN/PPPOE server and then plug the STB into that router.  

I know this is a tough one but any thoughts or guidance will be most appreciated.  Sometimes just responding or collaborating with others allows me to solve my own problem.

Accepted Solutions
Emerging Member

Re: IPTV using Two IPTV Enabled WANS

I was able to solve this using a few additional pieces of hardware.

The IPTV source links are plugged into a managed switch (UniFi 24), they are VLAN tagged. The output of my EdgeRouterPro which has one of the IPTV source proxied is also tagged on the same switch. For those nodes requiring access to both IPTV sources I set that node as a trunk port on the switch.  On the other end I untagged the VLANs using an EdgeRouterX.

For those nodes not requiring use of two IPTV streams I simply assigned them to the VLAN of the EdgeRouterPro which has IGMP-Proxy configured.  That was the original configuration anyway.

This solution works better for me in segregating the broadcast data over the network and has scalability over airmax links.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member

I believe I'm drawing closer to solving this.

I'm stuck now with trying to get IGMP-Proxy to use the PPPOE server as a downstream interface. I've tried adding pppoe0 and pppoes0 as downstream interfaces but neither works.

Any suggestions?

Emerging Member

I was able to solve this using a few additional pieces of hardware.

The IPTV source links are plugged into a managed switch (UniFi 24), they are VLAN tagged. The output of my EdgeRouterPro which has one of the IPTV source proxied is also tagged on the same switch. For those nodes requiring access to both IPTV sources I set that node as a trunk port on the switch.  On the other end I untagged the VLANs using an EdgeRouterX.

For those nodes not requiring use of two IPTV streams I simply assigned them to the VLAN of the EdgeRouterPro which has IGMP-Proxy configured.  That was the original configuration anyway.

This solution works better for me in segregating the broadcast data over the network and has scalability over airmax links.