Solutions: 205

Re: Known Issues of EdgeMax Series

Another possible bug, if you could please look at when you get a chance

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/QoS-ceiling/m-p/1808723#U1808723
Kudos: 1281
Solutions: 257

Bug DNSMASQ dies when adding static-lease

...acknowledged as bug here https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Beta/Bug-DNSMASQ-dies-when-adding-static-lease/m-p/1808625#M19...

[ Edited ]

UBNT-Fenng wrote:

c) IPSEC only works with a single FQDN peer entry.

VPN with FQDN issues

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Beta/BUG-1-8-0-FQDN-peer-for-IPSEC-site-to-site/m-p/1748166#M1...

I don't know exactly what the root issue is, but IPSec works with multiple FQDN entries with x509 (and likely with RSA too). I believe this issue is only exhibited when PSK is used.

Please review strongSwan ID Selectors and Identity Parsing. ...I have a feeling (needs proper testing) that some of the issue will go away once strongSwan is updated to more recent version (please consider the upgrade in next alpha/beta).

Here is the important part from strongSwan:

"When using IKEv1 an additional complexity arises in the case of authentication by preshared secret: the responder will need to look up the secret before the Peer's ID payload has been decoded, so the ID used will be the IP address."

If the string begins with @ the type is set to FQDN and the encoding is the literal string after that prefix.
In versions before 5.0.0 this prefix prevents that a FQDN is resolved into an IP address (current versions don't automatically resolve FQDNs when parsing identities).

For all other strings an attempt at parsing them as IPv4 addresses is made (since 5.4.0 also as subnets and ranges,see above). If that fails the type is set to FQDN and the literal value is adopted as encoding (this is where domain names and simple names end up).

Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

Web gui open crach bgp
Kudos: 226
Solutions: 26

BranoB wrote:

I don't know exactly what the root issue is, but IPSec works with multiple FQDN entries with x509 (and likely with RSA too). I believe this issue is only exhibited when PSK is used.

Please review strongSwan ID Selectors and Identity Parsing. ...I have a feeling (needs proper testing) that some of the issue will go away once strongSwan is updated to more recent version (please consider the upgrade in next alpha/beta).

Great, they need to update and include the ID when the GUI makes IPSEC VPN then. Simple to solve, why have they not done it since 1.7.0 or whenever it first cropped up?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 31
Solutions: 3

We have compiled new StrongSwan. But we need test it before release it.

Would you like to help us do beta testing?

[ Edited ]

Is it the U5.5.2dr2/K3.10.14-UBNT that you sent me? That one is working fine for me for basic site-to-site tunnels with x509 and L2TP with PSK. I've not had a chance to test VTI nor GRE.

If you have newer package please send.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 31
Solutions: 3

Yes. It is. Does it fixed this FQDN issue?

[ Edited ]

Well, all my 10 tunnels are on FQDN. FQDN definitely works with x509. Unfortunately I can't easily swap to PSK for testing as all tunnels are being used.

That said, I don't believe the FQDN issue is a bug, it's an inherent limitation from strongSwan due to: 

"When using IKEv1 an additional complexity arises in the case of authentication by preshared secret: the responder will need to look up the secret before the Peer's ID payload has been decoded (decrypted), so the ID used will be the IP address."

So this is really mainly configuration issue. There are, IMO, only two ways to overcome this:

1) Manually via config insert selector "any"

or

2) Resolve FQDN to IP and put that as selector to the secrets file. But there would need to be a mechanism do dynamically update this selector once the IP has changed if it's dynamic.

Best solution is to use x509 or RSA or IKEv2 (not sure about the last one but the man page suggests only IKEv1 has this shortcoming).

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

[ Edited ]

IPSec issue. (no loadbalance)
(ERL as server and windows 10 as client)
Internet cable comes directly from ISP and is pluged in eth0 port. It's a Fixed IP. (however eth0 is configured as dhcp)

in v1.9.0
1 - vpn works
2 - reboot ERL
3 - can't connect do vpn
4 - change any vpn option in the config tree
5 - can connect to vpn.

in v1.9.1
1 - vpn works
2 - reboot ERL
3 - CAN connect
sundenly internet is gone because of ISP problems.
4 - reboot ERL
5- there is still no internet because ISP won't give your fixed IP that is also the IP of the vpn server specified in the configs
6 - internet comes back.
7 - CAN'T connect

Link of the ignored thread:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/ERL-1-9-X-Can-t-connect-to-l2tp-ipsec-vpn-server-after-router/...

edit: linked thread updated with logs and command outputs

again, changing auto-net-exclude-wtv in config tree solves the issue until next reboot w/out internet occurs.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1519
Solutions: 650

EdgeRouter X Inter-VLAN routing issues

When using switch in vlan-aware mode, routing between switch0 and other vif interface isn't possible.

current workaround:  put switch0 config under switch0.1  (=vif1)

see, amongst others:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/EdgeRouter-X-Inter-VLAN-routing-issues-How-I-solved-it/m-p/181...

Kudos: 72

two wishes:

1. A more stable IPSec.

2. Although not acknowledged by UBNT people because was not able to reproduce the problem (another user not previously known to me with different set up and several tests, between the two stump with the same issue).

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/bfd-static-routes-and-internet-access/td-p/1701549

Problems with bfd when topology changes involving static, connected, and default routes.

I believe the same problem with routes may be related to some other scenarios.

Kudos: 1

Hi UBNT-Fenng,

Thank you for your work for updated EdgeMax.

I have ERX and have issue about 2 about IPSEC.

1. Support IPSEC (IPv4 over IPv6). Now I need to additonal GRE (IPv4 over IPv6) under 1.9.1, it works but complicated.
  2. Stable IPSEC support for IPv6. Current 1.9.1 suppots IPSEC (IPv6 over IPv6) but still have issue even without hardware offload ipsec like many error log as kernel level. With hardware offload, IPSEC tunnel (IPv6 over IPv6) itself is not built.

Regards,

Kudos: 593
Solutions: 205
Emerging Member
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 1

Can I also add the LDP bug identified here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Beta/ldp-cleaning-full-table-and-mpls-forwarding-table/m-p/183...

This seems like a show stopper for using MPLS/LDP in a production network?

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

This one was acknowledged as a bug:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/BUG-IPv4-DHCP-IPv6-address-on-WAN-interface-dhclient-exit-hook...

It prevents dhcp hook scripts from being called as soon as an IPv6 address is set for the WAN interface.

Kudos: 226
Solutions: 26

BranoB wrote:

Well, all my 10 tunnels are on FQDN. FQDN definitely works with x509. Unfortunately I can't easily swap to PSK for testing as all tunnels are being used.

That said, I don't believe the FQDN issue is a bug, it's an inherent limitation from strongSwan due to: 

"When using IKEv1 an additional complexity arises in the case of authentication by preshared secret: the responder will need to look up the secret before the Peer's ID payload has been decoded (decrypted), so the ID used will be the IP address."

So this is really mainly configuration issue. There are, IMO, only two ways to overcome this:

1) Manually via config insert selector "any"

or

2) Resolve FQDN to IP and put that as selector to the secrets file. But there would need to be a mechanism do dynamically update this selector once the IP has changed if it's dynamic.

Best solution is to use x509 or RSA or IKEv2 (not sure about the last one but the man page suggests only IKEv1 has this shortcoming).

3) They add the Peer ID into the GUI

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1469
Solutions: 119

How about a GUI option to allow dhcp-interface eth[n] in place of local-ip.