Kudos: 417
Solutions: 11

Re: List of Compatible USB drives

My point was that the company which made the d a m n thing should know the timing tolerances required for USB storage devices to work because they had to know that when they ordered them from the supplier. Now that the device is being phased out it wouldn't hurt to share that information with the community. Quite the opposite, not sharing it will most certainly hurt UBNT.

Kudos: 114

I am agreeing with you...
-OnTheGrind
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

I have an older ER-3 which was well beyond the warrenty period and which would not boot. Checking via the console seemed to indicate a corrupted flash drive. This thread motivated me to open the case and take out the flash drive with an initial intention of replacing the drive.

However, since my home workstation is a linux system, I decided to use the standard file system tools to try and correct the file system problem. The flash drive is acually quite small (3+ gb) with 2gb set aside in an unallocated partition. In any case, i ran ext3 file system checks and then repartioned the flash drive, checked the fat boot partition, etc. It appeared to be working correctly on my workstation.

Back into the ER-3, and following the "last resort" instructions (https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204959514?input_string=edgerouter+lite+not+workin) I reinstalled the OS and have a functioning ER-3 once again.

Too soon to tell if this will last. I had to use a console-usb cable and the wonderful screen application on linux to work at the boot CLI to accomplish the reimage and reinstall.

Brad

Highlighted
Kudos: 5

OK the problem with most of the USB devices is that they expect reset USB command. That's about we need to include it as first command in the boot sequence. We have prepared new flash device(described here) and inserted it in the device. After power on device already connected via serial cable and see something like this:

Looking for valid bootloader image....
Jumping to start of image at address 0xbfc80000

U-Boot 1.1.1 (UBNT Build ID: 4493936-g009d77b) (Build time: Sep 20 2012 - 15:48:51)
BIST check passed.
UBNT_E100 r1:2, r2:12, serial #: DC9FDB299146
Core clock: 500 MHz, DDR clock: 266 MHz (532 Mhz data rate)
DRAM: 512 MB
Clearing DRAM....... done
Flash: 4 MB
Net: octeth0, octeth1, octeth2
USB: (port 0) scanning bus for devices...
USB device not responding, giving up (status=0)
1 USB Devices found
scanning bus for storage devices...
No device found. Not initialized? 0
** Can't read from device 0 **
** Unable to use usb 0:1 for fatload **
argv[2]: coremask=0x3
argv[3]: root=/dev/sda2
argv[4]: rootdelay=15
argv[5]: rw
argv[6]: rootsqimg=squashfs.img
argv[7]: rootsqwdir=w
argv[8]: mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:512k(boot0),512k(boot1),64k@3072k(eeprom)
## No elf image at address 0x09f00000
Octeon ubnt_e100#

So we are on so called "incompatible" USB device. At this point we can enter some commands to fix this issue very easy. First set environment variable bootcmd with this command:

Octeon ubnt_e100# setenv bootcmd usb reset\;fatload usb 0 $loadaddr vmlinux.64\;bootoctlinux $loadaddr coremask=0x3 root=/dev/sda2 rootdelay=15 rw rootsqimg=squashfs.img rootsqwdir=w mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:512k(boot0),512k(boot1),64k@3072k(eeprom)

Note all this must be on single line !

Next we must be sure that changes are accepted with this command:

Octeon ubnt_e100# printenv
baudrate=115200
download_baudrate=115200
nuke_env=protect off $(env_addr) +$(env_size);erase $(env_addr) +$(env_size)
autoload=n
ethact=octeth0
loadaddr=0x9f00000
numcores=2
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
env_addr=0x1fbfe000
env_size=0x2000
flash_base_addr=0x1f800000
flash_size=0x400000
uboot_flash_addr=0x1f880000
uboot_flash_size=0x70000
flash_unused_addr=0x1f8f0000
flash_unused_size=0x310000
bootloader_flash_update=bootloaderupdate
bootdelay=3
bootcmd=usb reset;fatload usb 0 $loadaddr vmlinux.64;bootoctlinux $loadaddr coremask=0x3 root=/dev/sda2 rootdelay=15 rw rootsqimg=squashfs.img rootsqwdir=w mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:512k(boot0),512k(boot1),64k@3072k(eeprom)

Environment size: 685/8188 bytes
Octeon ubnt_e100# 

As we see bootcmd is set correctly so now we can save environment in FLASH with this command:

Octeon ubnt_e100# saveenv
Saving Environment to Flash...
Un-Protected 1 sectors
Erasing Flash...
. done
Erased 1 sectors
Writing to Flash... 4....3....2....1....done
Protected 1 sectors
Octeon ubnt_e100#

Now we can test all this with power off/power on cycle end we must have something like this on terminal:

Looking for valid bootloader image....
Jumping to start of image at address 0xbfc80000

U-Boot 1.1.1 (UBNT Build ID: 4493936-g009d77b) (Build time: Sep 20 2012 - 15:48:51)

BIST check passed.
UBNT_E100 r1:2, r2:12, serial #: DC9FDB299146
Core clock: 500 MHz, DDR clock: 266 MHz (532 Mhz data rate)
DRAM: 512 MB
Clearing DRAM....... done
Flash: 4 MB
Net: octeth0, octeth1, octeth2

USB: (port 0) scanning bus for devices...
USB device not responding, giving up (status=0)
1 USB Devices found
No device found. Not initialized? 0
(Re)start USB...
USB: (port 0) scanning bus for devices... 1 USB Devices found
Device 0: Vendor: Prod.: Rev: 1100
Type: Removable Hard Disk
Capacity: 7720.0 MB = 7.5 GB (15810560 x 512)
reading vmlinux.64

6882440 bytes read
argv[2]: coremask=0x3
argv[3]: root=/dev/sda2
argv[4]: rootdelay=15
argv[5]: rw
argv[6]: rootsqimg=squashfs.img
argv[7]: rootsqwdir=w
argv[8]: mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:512k(boot0),512k(boot1),64k@3072k(eeprom)
ELF file is 64 bit
Allocating memory for mapped kernel segment, alignment: 0x400000

ubnt login:

So with this job is done and we can use device again.

Be happy!

Kudos: 20

My internal storage corrupted. Any ideas of the status of what drive works ?

I'd like something stable. Let me know thanks. 

I use Sandisk Ultra microSDHC 16Gb Class 10 UHS-I (48/10 MB / s) + ADP, SDSQUNB-016G-GN3MA

with a card reader Smartbuy SBR-710-K. Works stably.

Also checked other USB flash drives with other card readers, the problem is usually with the cardreaders, they are cheap try different.

For example, the non-name USB flash drive works with the card reader Human Friends/CBR Speed Rate "Micro", All-in-one, but does not work with the card reader SANDISK MobileMate USB microSD/M2 SDDRK-121-B35

P.S.

I'm using a clean debian 9. On the first partition of the fat32 kernel, on the second ext4 rootfs.

I ended up with a Transcend 32gb. it is working as expected. I have to upgrade to a Gen 2 EdgeRouter lite now. The supply died for no reason. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

I wonder, if SLC-type usb-sticks work in this device. If I can find a device that works, I'll report back...

In theory they should be only disk, that the edge will ever see, even running them for decades.. - but my main focus is reliability. 

I wonder too, what the cheap ass soc-routers have as their system-disk, because I've never came across a failing disk in these...

[ Edited ]

I spent the last few days pouring over posts on what works and what doesn't, so I went and purchased a few USB drives.

WORKS:

*The Original Drive - I'm not sure what happened, but doing a reset the drive works. Not using it anymore,

though, because I'm not sure if it is corrupt.

*SanDisk USB 2.0 SD Card Reader (don't know model - came with an SD card about 5 years ago) - with

16GB SD Card. Formatted using MKEOSIMG using he latest image for an ERLite3 (v1.9.7+hotfix 4).

Script is at: https://github.com/sowbug/mkeosimg. I reset my own config, because I had issues with using

the script.

*Anker USB 3.0 SD Card Reader AR200 (same SD card from previous reader) - it seems that SD cards work

well. More on that...

DOESN'T WORK:

*SanDisk USB 2.0 Cruzer Glide 16GB - SDC260 - 016G

*PNY USB 2.0 16GB (just bought from BestBuy 10/2017)\

*Lexar USB 2.0 16GB LJDTT16G (came in 2 pack)

*SanDisk USB 2.0 32GB Duo (USB A and Micro USB OTG)

This was such a frustrating situation. I'm not even sure that the ERL was the problem to begin with. Warranty is gone, so I modded the case of my ERL (e.g. I cut off a few pieces of metal on the back so I could fit longer drives / a USB extension cable in it). I flashed images per several different instructions [still waiting for my console to USB cable to arrive]. Flashing worked on all drives, but could only boot from SD card.

What??

I found any old USB drives I had, and none of them worked. I flashed them all with a RaspberryPi running the latest version of Raspbian Jessie. I also tried a VM with Ubuntu LTS 16.04.

All of the partitions were readable with linux distos, both the FAT32 boot and EXT3 partitions.

The one noticible difference is that the SD cards with adapter (didn't seem to matter which card or adapter) and also the original USB drive from the ERL showed up as a "USB Drive" in Win10, while the others showed up as SDXC cards.

I'm actually quite pleased with the SD card solution, because it will always work, and I have a ton of SD and micro SD cards from old phones that should do the trick. I've now got a nice USB extension out of the back of my ERL, with the USB SD card adapter attached. I figure I can clone the SD card in case I have issues in the future. Easy replacement.

Hope this helps someone. It would be wonderful if UBNT would 1) update so that the "cheaper" routers use nvram, similar to a router or 2) had the ability to replace the drive easily (e.g. micro SD, more compatible USB, anything...)

[[1st pic - My ERL with USB 2.0 SD Card reader velcro'd on,

2nd pic - My router setup - switched from Comcast to Centurylink about 2 months ago...very pleased so far (YMMV)]]

EDIT: Spelling & Grammar - it's late at night Man Sad

EDIT2: Turns out there may be more options with the console cable....we'll see when I get it this week.

IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

Nice to know, that I could also use an sd-card-reader, didn't think about that, when I looked for SLC-media.

Since yesterday, I am running the ER-L off a Transcend 2GB SLC-type industry stick:

Transcend usb stick (bought the 2GB version, but correct type)

If you can open this stick with a dremel tool, it will fit inside the box without any addt'l cables.

It's not really cheap, but I think the 25 bucks I've spend were acceptable for having my peace of mind!

System image and config was restored with mkeosimg as well, only needed to update the web-cert.

Only time will tell, if it will suffer from any long-term faílures. But SLC-type media is built for a VERY long-lasting usage.

[ Edited ]

Would be fantastic if this simple reset USB was included in all versions of the ERL firmware. P You just saved me throwing away 3 failed ERLs.

Thanks!

Kudos: 2

Successfully installed the Adata C802/8GB in my Edgerouter Lite. Hope it will last long Man Happy

Did you decase the USB stick? It looks to be too big to fit.

Did you have to do the USB reset trick or just image and go?

Thanks in advance!

wrote:

Successfully installed the Adata C802/8GB in my Edgerouter Lite. Hope it will last long Man Happy

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Did you decase the USB stick? It looks to be too big to fit.

Did you have to do the USB reset trick or just image and go?

Yes, I took it out of the case. No, I just used emrk to install the firmware after checking that the stick is recognised properly by the router a couple of times. I also needed to remove a little bit of plastic on the inside of the ERL in order to close it, I don't know the fit in the newer metal model.

[ Edited ]

Nice solution! It working fine!

Guys, just to let you know that sometimes flash corruption can be caused by dying power supply of the router. If you try several drives and none of them seem to work try replacing the power supply.

@levickiwrote:

Guys, just to let you know that sometimes flash corruption can be caused by dying power supply of the router. If you try several drives and none of them seem to work try replacing the power supply.

This was the case when my storage died a couple of weeks ago. Great point!

Confirming my power supply died a while afterwards. I replaced my drive and it seemed to work fine. Then the power supply died. 

Just what I suspected... in many cases the problems with the flash might have been caused by failing power supplies...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the added usb reset command. I had this problem with a recently replaced USB drive (which was my first time doing this) and thought the first time was a fluke. Now I see it would happen EVERYTIME and there's no reason I should replace the router. I'll just modify this command and be fine trucking on as is. Thanks a million! I have 8 of these deployed in my local area.

Any reason why our commodity USB drives are requiring this and the original ones from Ubiquity are not?