Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

Re: List of Compatible USB drives

you can save yourself a lot of typing by letting the shell do the typing for you.
setenv bootcmd sleep 1\;usb reset\;sleep 1\;$(bootcmd)

This works for me every time. I added the sleeps in there because there is a possibility the usb reset command may return with an exit code without it really being finished.

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

This PNY MicroSD card reader works well. It fits OK without any changes, and a slight bit of sanding on the one edge makes it fit perfectly.

This link includes the reader and a 32GB card: http://a.co/h6LiUnP

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

Did you pick this combo to meet a requirement or were these components you had already on hand? The reason for my question is it seems it would be more simple to buy a USB drive meeting the form factor constraints than to buy two items, put them together with some modification, and then only arrive at the same result.

[ Edited ]

A bit of both...

It seems like USB drives are playing roulette, as the models constantly change and compatibility comes and goes (according to this thread), and the comments that SD card readers work reliably. The USB reboot fix is supposed to help but I did not get it to work on the one USB drive I tried (possibly user error). Also not sure what compatible USB drives don't need even more modifications to fit...

This is a very small USB reader, widely available from a well known manufacturer, and includes the SD card. It's less than $15.

And I already had one, and a plethora of micro SD cards.

The modifications aren't even needed to plug it in, but I didn't want to put any strain on the connector. But it literally took 30 seconds of sanding one plastic edge to make the interference go away.

In the end it seems like a good option to me.

Found this *tiny* Kingston Reader/MicroSD card 16GB combo which works out-of-the-box, only $8:

http://a.co/9FY4bOX

This one fits with room to spare.

@TWrecks wrote:

Found this *tiny* Kingston Reader/MicroSD card 16GB combo which works out-of-the-box, only $8:

http://a.co/9FY4bOX

This one fits with room to spare.

Just got myself 2 of these to try in an older ER-Lite3 I bought off of eBay, of all the options I've looked around, this looks to be the most promising, will post update if all goes well.

[ Edited ]

It works OK (Kingston Reader/MicroSD). I bought the 32GB card, put it in the USB reader, recorded the firmware with my configuration, installed it into the router and it started working as with the original. Thanks for the info.

Kudos: 3

I have successfully used nowadays obsolete Sandisk USB Cruzer Slice 8GB. They fit quite ok when you open them and get the bare content inside a ERL. But use some insulating tape because I think there's conducting sides that may cause a potential problem.