Established Member
Kudos: 695
Solutions: 66

Re: Multicast, Sonos, Phorus & Play-Fi Broadcast 255.255.255.255:<port> Discovery Solution

Use putty's pscp.exe to copy the entire log file from /var/log/messages.
Please help the community find useful posts and solutions by using the "Kudos" and "Accept as Solution" buttons!
Established Member

Re: Multicast, Sonos, Phorus & Play-Fi Broadcast 255.255.255.255:<port> Discovery Solution

You can also preprocess the file using grep or match to extract what you're looking for and redirect the filtered output to a different file and pscp.exe it your PC.
Please help the community find useful posts and solutions by using the "Kudos" and "Accept as Solution" buttons!
Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 3

ok, i did...

1) is there a way to put this in an spreadsheet MS-Excel, so i can

filter on columns like ip-adress and errors ?

2) are the entries ip-traffic or also broadcasts?

3) is there a way to grap traffic from a vlan without firewall rules, or do i have to create a dummy rules with logging in it?

Established Member

All of those are possible using EdgeOS commands. Recommend you create a new topic to get help with your questions.
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Got everything working...
I deleted everything and installed my whole config again..
I made one mistake with bcast-relay, see attachment. It is working well, but i have double entries.

Guess i installed it twice..

I tried to delete it with cli... but the double entries stays...

Established Member

Post your config file using "show configuration" in the CLI. The web GUI has a console tool you can use.
Emerging Member

in the config there is only one bcast-relay....

Established Member

Then you're fine, its just the way the GUI displays the options.

Thank you all for this very helpful thread! Solved my issue of getting my DirecTV app connected to Genie DVR, which are on different networks (wired and wifi). I though I was going to have to put my DVR on WiFi until I found this thread, installed service, and problem solved! Man Happy

I installed bcast-relay and it solved my problems with Sonos players not being able to be found in a different subnet (vlan) as the one the controller was in.

Thanks a bunch !

Any idea if and when this service will be included in the default EdgeOS setup ? I am using ERL-3 and it works great !

Any idea ?!

Emerging Member

Hi, 

Is bcast-relay still working with you?

My configuration stops, and i do not know why, updated sonos, or router firmware or switch firmware..

Does the bcast-relay have to be compiled again with new firmwares of the ER-X ?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 5

Works just fine on ER X SFP v1.9.7+hotfix.1

As all the other hotfixes are just hotfixes there is no need to look to recompile anything I would say.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Ok, i think i found it!

I need some help with it as i am no linux expert.

i had 5 bcast entries, the first is on port 1900 etc.

When i look at the system: show system processes, i only see three of them... i cant add the missing one

I de-installed bcast and installed it again... 

The 3 processes still remain,  and i see 5 pid-files in /run

in the gui i dont see the 3 (or 5) entries...

After this i did:

ps aux | grep bcast

and then kill -9 <pid>  for the 3 processes 

and then sudo rm <5pid-files>

it look clean now....

Only my Gui has still trash

it looks like

service

bcast-relay

bcast-relay

id

id

So i have to places where i can put my id's....

adding entries to id under 1e bcast gives an error on firewall rules, dont get that

adding entries to id under 2e bcast gives no errors, but ps aux gives no processes...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 5

Looks like you have some weirdness in the config ...

It is supposed to looks like this:

service {
bcast-relay {
id 1 {
description Wake-on-LAN
interface switch0.10
interface switch0.20
port 9
}
}
dhcp-server {

So edit your config and clean up (by keeping just the empty bcast-relay { }. If by command line you can't do it you can also do it by saving the current config to a file, edit in the file to cleanup and then load the config from the file and save it as the "official" one.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

ok, i also had the double bcast-relay structure in my config.

I changed this and loaded it again...no errors...

still double structures in the GUI

So i explorered the disk and found the same double structure in

/opt/vyatta/share/vyatta-cfg/templates/service/bcast-relay

and below this a folder id and again the double bcast-relay folder....

I removed the lowest bcast-relay folder and now my gui seems normal... !!!

Last problems:

I have 6 entries in the gui..

- but no bcast-relay 1900 process ...this is the first entry...

- i do have a bcast-relay process for entry 2,3,4

And two more processes are missing (the 2 last ones...)

Do i have to reboot the router so that theze entries are picked up?

I do have two files on /opt/vyatta/sbin

- ubnt-bcast-relay.pl and

- udp-bcast-relay

Are this the right ones for a edgerouter X ?

Where can i check why there are no processes made for all of my entries, errors?

Established Member

@pvklink, not sure how you ended up with your configuration templates getting corrupted - you shouldn't have to manually delete them. Recommend you remove "UBNT UDP Broadcast Relay" using the installer option "REMOVE" and then reinstall. Also, you'll need to make sure that you have download ed the correct binary package for the ER-X (it sounds like you did, since the executable runs). Before you configure "UBNT UDP Broadcast Relay", run the executable directly with the debug switch and the arguments you need one at a time and check for errors, that way you'll be able to see if you're trying to start a relay on a port that already has a listener.

e.g. (note, that the fork to background switch isn't set and be sure to use your own parameters):

sudo /opt/vyatta/sbin/udp-bcast-relay -d 1 10102 eth0 eth0.6 eth0.555 eth0.5

Here's a reminder of the command line arguments: 

/opt/vyatta/sbin/udp-bcast-relay -h
usage: /opt/vyatta/sbin/udp-bcast-relay [-d] [-f] [-s IP] id udp-port dev1 dev2 ...

This program listens for broadcast  packets  on the  specified UDP port
and then forwards them to each other given interface.  Packets are sent
such that they appear to have come from the original broadcaster, resp.
from the spoofing IP in case -s is used.  When using multiple instances
for the same port on the same network, they must have a different id.

-d      enables debugging
    -f      forces forking to background
    -s IP   sets the source IP of forwarded packets; otherwise the
            original sender's address is used

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Hi thanks....

My uninstall did not work, thats the reason why i manually changed it..

My gui problems are gone now... and i do get some processes (3 of 6 enries)...

My 1 and 5,6 entries havae no processen, but do have a pid-file

My entry 1 (port 1900) in the gui, has no process. and do have a pid

can i try sudo /opt/vyatta/sbin/udp-bcast-rellay -d 1 1900 switch0.1 switch0.20 switch0.30 ?

I cant see the name/description in this commandline like  sonos_port_1900

Peter

Established Member

Let us know the results of manually running "/opt/vyatta/sbin/udp-bcast-relay" using my instructions above. Be sure to kill the existing "udp-bcast-relay" processes first:

sudo pkill -e udp-bcast-relay