Solutions: 1

Need help configuring ER-X with L2TP/IPsec

Guys,

I recently followed this guide to configure my EdgeMax ERLite‑3 to use OpenVPN for working with VPN services provider IPVanish. The set up has been quite successful and I can confirm all my network traffic is now being routed through IPVanish. My configuration uses a single internal network rather than two that the guide deals with but that should make no difference for the purpose of this query.

However, as several members have already pointed out, this kind of a setup is a bandwidth killer. In my case, speeds have taken a severe beating with my download having plummeted from 220 Mbps to just about 8 Mbps or so over the VPN. Also, the router CPU is maxed out at 8 Mbps. Clearly, that's a deal breaker.

I understand there are at least 2 alternative ways to connect to IPVanish viz L2TP/IPsec and PPTP. Of these PPTP, I believe, is not quite secure (though I am not aware of the exact deficiencies) and therefore I am down to trying out L2TP/IPsec. But despite an intense googling effort, I can't seem to find a definitive guide to setting up L2TP/IPsec on an ER-X router.

My questions to the community are:

1. Is there a way to stick to OpenVPN and still have speeds of 50 Mbps or more?
  2. Is it possible to set up L2TP/IPsec to IPVanish on an ER-X?
  3. If so, can someone please point me to some instructions on how to achieve it?
  4. If at all IPsec works, what kind of bandwidths can I expect?
  5. How does L2TP/IPsec compare with PPTP when it comes to security?

Your thoughts are most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Utopia

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 415

Re: Need help configuring ER-X with L2TP/IPsec

It is currently possible to set up an EdgeRouter as an L2TP server, but not as an L2TP client. Using PPTP will not give you any advantage over OpenVPN because it is not offloaded either.

Ben

Ben Pin | Ubiquiti Support