Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Need help programming PPPOE

Was wondering if someone could help me.

I have been given a EdgeRouter Lite Router. I have used it before with a adsl connection by downloading a setup file off the net. But now I have moved house and the connection requires me to use PPPOE on my router.

I was wondering if there was someone who could help me program my router.

I am not very good at using the cli. I am hoping someone could help me set it up with the wan port as eth0 and the other two eth1 and eth2 briged together. Also a firewall???

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 16991
Solutions: 609
Contributions: 20

Re: Need help programming PPPOE

[ Edited ]

@mccar13 wrote:

I have been given a EdgeRouter Lite Router. I have used it before with a adsl connection by downloading a setup file off the net. But now I have moved house and the connection requires me to use PPPOE on my router.

I am not very good at using the cli. I am hoping someone could help me set it up with the wan port as eth0 and the other two eth1 and eth2 briged together. Also a firewall???

Thanks

I would suggest you download the latest firmware (found HERE). Then reset your router to defaults. The only thing is the wizard will configure the ports a little differently, eth1 would be WAN and eth0 and eth2 would be LAN. So connect your modem to eth1. Then you need to configure a static for 192.168.1.1/24 on your computer and wire to eth0 (so anything other than 192.168.1.1 but in that subnet). 

Then connect to the router at 192.168.1.1. On first connect, when set to defaults, you have the WAN+2LAN wizard. This can automate the process for you. Choose PPPoE, make sure the default firewall option is checked (should be already). After the wizard you could download the config.boot and shuffle things around too your liking, otherwise use it as is.

It doesn't matter that eth0 and eth2 will have different LAN subnets (I think by default they are 192.168.0.1/24 and 192.168.1.1/24) but you can adjust those in the wizard too (after it verifies your PPPoE connection). The two subnets will be able to communicate with each other without issues, and both will be behind a firewall. Bridging disables hardware offload, so if you have gigabit equipment you will actually take a performance hit by bridging the ports.

Hope that's helpful.

Best regards,
Mike

EDIT: Oh, don't forget about MSS-TCP clamping. It's a wizard. But it can also be set by entering into the config or via CLI.

To do via CLI:
configure
set firewall options mss-clamp 1412
commit; save; exit

OR, I've attached my sanitized config which is different. eth0 is WAN (PPPoE), eth1 and eth2 are LAN, both with different subnets. the onyl thing that needs to be added to this is user/pass for PPPoE (search user-id), then the username and password to login to the router. But if you download the existing configuration, then copy most of this over (aside from router user/pass) you'll be good to go too. 

View solution in original post

Attachment

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@mccar13 wrote:

Thanks

I would suggest you download the latest firmware (found HERE). Then reset your router to defaults. The only thing is the wizard will configure the ports a little differently, eth1 would be WAN and eth0 and eth2 would be LAN. So connect your modem to eth1. Then you need to configure a static for 192.168.1.1/24 on your computer and wire to eth0 (so anything other than 192.168.1.1 but in that subnet). 

Then connect to the router at 192.168.1.1. On first connect, when set to defaults, you have the WAN+2LAN wizard. This can automate the process for you. Choose PPPoE, make sure the default firewall option is checked (should be already). After the wizard you could download the config.boot and shuffle things around too your liking, otherwise use it as is.

It doesn't matter that eth0 and eth2 will have different LAN subnets (I think by default they are 192.168.0.1/24 and 192.168.1.1/24) but you can adjust those in the wizard too (after it verifies your PPPoE connection). The two subnets will be able to communicate with each other without issues, and both will be behind a firewall. Bridging disables hardware offload, so if you have gigabit equipment you will actually take a performance hit by bridging the ports.

Hope that's helpful.

Best regards,
Mike

EDIT: Oh, don't forget about MSS-TCP clamping. It's a wizard. But it can also be set by entering into the config or via CLI.

To do via CLI:
configure
set firewall options mss-clamp 1412
commit; save; exit

OR, I've attached my sanitized config which is different. eth0 is WAN (PPPoE), eth1 and eth2 are LAN, both with different subnets. the onyl thing that needs to be added to this is user/pass for PPPoE (search user-id), then the username and password to login to the router. But if you download the existing configuration, then copy most of this over (aside from router user/pass) you'll be good to go too. 

Attachment

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply. Didn't know the new software had PPPOE in the wizard. I will try it now.

Thanks again

Ubiquiti Employee

You're welcome!

I also added my config, if you prefer. But you'll have to do a minor edit, then a copy and paste. The edit being user/pass for PPPoE, then copying the login info from your existing router. I still recommend upgrading to 1.4.1.

Cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike,

I have a new problem, I have just reset my router but it won't let me log in with the default username and password. ubnt???

Have you heard of this happening before and howdo i get logged in.

Thanks

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@mccar13 wrote:

Hey Mike,

I have a new problem, I have just reset my router but it won't let me log in with the default username and password. ubnt???

Have you heard of this happening before and howdo i get logged in.

Thanks

When you are performing a runtime reset on the router, did the right LED on eth2 blink then go solid? Ideally you hold it for about ~10 seconds to complete the reset. Release once the LED goes out.

On a side note, did the old info work?

Best regards,
Mike

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Alternatively, if you want, I could edit the config I posted above, adding the default admin user/pass of ubnt/ubnt, so all you have to do is enter your PPPoE user-id and password, then upload it via the UI. Whichever you prefer.

Let me know.

Best regards,
Mike

Mike,

I havn't been able to try your settings yet as i can't access the router. I used the reset hole and yes the led did flash and then go solid but still can't log in

Ubiquiti Employee

So neither your old info or the default info are working, correct?

Best regards,
Mike

Yes thats correct,

i was trying to reset it as i forgot my old password. but cn't log on at all

Any ideas??

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@mccar13 wrote:

Yes thats correct,

i was trying to reset it as i forgot my old password. but cn't log on at all

Any ideas??

Thanks for confirming. Well, it sounds like it's not resetting properly then. Hence why you can't login with the default info (it's on the old info). IIRC if you hold it longer than 8 seconds the solid LED will go out. What happens if you hold it until that point? IIRC you are to actualy release once it goes out, so I may have misworded it in my earlier post..

Thanks,
Mike

EDIT: I worded it incorrectly. Sorry about that. edited my post. I'm going to make some coffee, I clearly need it Man Happy

I have tried holiding it until the light goes out but still won't accept ubnt as username and password. I think it is resetting asi have to plug into eth0 and use the default 192.168.1.1

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Weird that it would half reset. What date code is this unit (5 characters preceding the MAC)? Do you have a console cable?

Thanks,
Mike

I can't seem to find a date code on the unit. By a console cable do you men one with a serial plug on it??

Ubiquiti Employee

Usually it's on a sticker on the bottom. For example, my ERL is 1249K. It could be serial to Ethernet, or USB to Ethernet. Google "Cisco console cable" if you need clarification on the specifics. If you don't have one, then no worries. Just had a couple back up plans.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike,

I think i have one somewhere but i wouldn't be able to get my hands on it till tomorrow. What are my options for getting this fixed as i was really hoping to try your pppoe ideas. 

Ubiquiti Employee

If you can't login then we can't do anything until you have the console cable. I find it really odd that it's not working. Did you by chance try SSH? If not, maybe try default info there (in case of browser isse). Otherwise with the console cable I was going to recommend the Emergency rescue kit. The details about that are HERE. Basically it would overwrite what is on there, so it'd be a fresh start. It's the long way to do this, but it's the only way I know to override the password.

Hope that's helpful. If you have further questions, etc, let me know. I'll be here.

Cheers,
Mike

Highlighted

how do i do the sshyou have mentioned???

Ubiquiti Employee

It looks like you're on Windows. You'll need PuTTY, which you can download from HERE. All you have to do is enter IP once you open putty.exe and then click open. Then try ubnt for user and pass. Let me know if for some reason that works.

Cheers,
Mike

Just tried Putty and ubnt dosn't work. I will try to find the serial cable tomorrow so i can do a full reset. Thanks for all your help. I will prob be back tomorrow asking you more questions