Kudos: 19
Solutions: 1

Network drops while torrenting

I just attempted to switch some of my main devices over to the EdgeMax/ToughSwitch combo and had to completely revert them both.  The 2 devices being a Mac mini and NAS.

I haven't gone deep debugging this yet but I just wanted to get the ball rolling here before I forget. 

I reproduced the problem 3 times with both IP-offload enabled and disabled. Pretty much it comes down to I would resume a torrent (say Ubuntu 32 bit) in my client (in this case Transmission) and almost immediately my Remote Desktop session would disconnect to the Mini and when it eventually came back (the last time it never did) the NAS would be ejected/disconnected (timeout I assume) and the torrent would have been failed because it couldn't find the file on disk. 

I read a few posts with people having issues with gaming and that type of thing with the work around being to disable ip-offload in some cases. I tried that here after the first failure and I still didn't see any success. During this whole time the CPU of the EdgeMax was not high at all - I didn't see it spike above 10% once. 

SuperUser
Kudos: 7932
Solutions: 233

Re: Network drops while torrenting

I run 40Mbps worth of torrents while working in multiple ssh sessions over IPsec VPN and don't see this.

Post your config.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Kudos: 113
Solutions: 2

A good friend of mine Man Wink uses Transmission on OS X and has around 90 (mainly idle) torrents being seeded whenever his workstation is on.

He is also able to pull down torrents at 100Mbs (maxing out his Cable internet connection at 10-11MB/sec) and the ERL has been perfectly stable in this aspect.

The ERL also has UPNP enabled, and this seems to work with Transmission being able to automatically map it's port whenever it's launched.

All this is happening wilst regular internet browsing, email, VPN etc is ocurring with no problems.

Thanks for the info. It is good to know that other people have this working without issues. 

Normally I would say that it could be an issue with the NAS and I would go that route, but in this case I was (consistently) completely disconnected from Remote Desktop which has never happened before, leading me to think that either the connection to the Mini was disconnected or throttled somehow. This only happened once I resumed a torrent. I assumed that itself was the cause, though with many variables at play there is no way to know for sure. 

Config attached. As far as the network setup: port 0 of the ERL is the WAN, port 1 is the ToughSwitch. On the ToughSwitch the Mini and NAS are both untagged on VLAN 11. My laptop (w/Remote Desktop client) was untagged on 10 and after switching to 11 the problem still persisted. 

Attachment
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 354
Solutions: 289

@rsully wrote:

Config attached. As far as the network setup: port 0 of the ERL is the WAN, port 1 is the ToughSwitch. On the ToughSwitch the Mini and NAS are both untagged on VLAN 11. My laptop (w/Remote Desktop client) was untagged on 10 and after switching to 11 the problem still persisted. 

What's the VLAN setting on the ToughSwitch port connecting to the ERL? It looks to me on the ERL, vif 1 under eth1 should be deleted, its address should be put under eth1 directly.

The port that connects the ToughSwitch to the ERL is tagged on all VLANs and "management" is selected on VLAN 1. The ToughSwitch has a static IP of 192.168.1.20

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 354
Solutions: 289

[ Edited ]

@rsully wrote:

The port that connects the ToughSwitch to the ERL is tagged on all VLANs and "management" is selected on VLAN 1. The ToughSwitch has a static IP of 192.168.1.20

Could you try untag VLAN1 from the port connecting to the ERL on the TS, then delete vif 1 under eth1 and put "address 192.168.1.1/24" under eth1 on the ERL?

I switched management to untagged based on your suggestion and I'll test the Mini again soon. Could someone maybe explain why it's recommended to untag the management VLAN? 

Also, before I had made any changes I downloaded a torrent on my laptop (eth1.10) and didn't experience any of the connectivity issues I saw with the Mini. Might it be related to Inter-VLAN-routing then?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 2

Isn't torrenting illegal...

I have multiple vlans and multiple subnets on mine connecting to a ts and a zyxel switch with no remote desktop issues and using newsgroups.  Just my 2 cents.

After debugging this more thoughroughly and reproducing it tonight (I think) this problem isn't to do with the router but rather the Mac mini.

With that said, from the networking angle I'm still very much not sure what the solution might be. If anyone still wants to help me debug this I would really appreshiate it, though I understand that it probably doesn't belong in the EdgeMax forum if my theory is correct now (that the router isn't the cause).

When the issue happened tonight the Mac was back on the old router (but still using the new ethernet cable from yesterday). It appared to been triggered this time by requesting a diagnostic from the NAS. Now that I was prepared for this happening I got a display, keyboard, and mouse so that I wouldn't need to rely on Remote Desktop. The first thing I noticed was `ping` would fail with "sendto: No buffer space avaliable". After a few minutes the problem went away, and then re-appeared with little indictation as to why. 

One post I found mentioned it could be an MTU issue so I verified it was 1500. Another person told me it could be an issue with the ethernet cable, so it's back to the old one. 

What makes me disbelieve any of the workarounds so far is the fact that this computer has been running all day long with me connected to it via VPN remotely. The only theory I have been presented that could support that is one my friend mentioned: it could be a kernel leak running out of space on the TCP/IP stack. But I don't really understand that enough to be able to say anything. 

Since then I have had to restart the Mac mini (while replacing the ethernet cable) to be able to use networking on it. Since then (just like last night) it hasn't had an issue again so far. It'll be interesting to see if it doesn't happen again until tomorrow night.