Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Newbie - Edgerouter + edgeswitch slow file transfer rate

Hello experts, 

I'm a total beginner who decided to upgrade from the normal router to something more powerful - but I'm not doing too well and I'm hoping that someone here can help me get on the right track.

The setup: An Edgerouter 6p connects to an Edgeswitch 8-150w which in turn connects via Cat6a cable to Ethernet ports in every room of the house. In one of these ports I have another Edgeswitch 8-150w. At first I ran the wizard for basic setup and opted to bridge eth1 and eth2. However, as my NAS was on eth3 I couldn't see it in the LAN when on the PC so I expanded the bridge to incude eth3 and eth4 as well. That done, I could see all my network devices on the PC and I thought that was it. Then I tried moving a file from one NAS to another and the transfer speeds was 350 kbps (!). With my old router I had at least 40mbs so clearly I've made a mistake somewhere. 

I understand that it's difficult for you to pinpoint the issue based just on this, but perhaps you have some suggestions on where I should start looking or correcting my setup? Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Stefan 

Accepted Solutions

Re: Newbie - Edgerouter + edgeswitch slow file transfer rate

Thanks again for the quick replies! I'm truly grateful for your support! 

I tested the same file transfer from a different PC but the results were the same. Then, I moved the NAS so that they both connect to the Edgeswitch (rather than the 24-port switch) and that made a huge difference. The attached images show the before and after. 

No longer going through the 24-port switch brought the speed up to 30 MB/s which isn't amazing but acceptable and a lot better than the 1 MB/s I was getting. I verified this from both computers in different locations.

So, in the end it was not an Edgerouter or Edgeswitch issue at all and I apologise for taking your time. Your advice was well received and I learned lot. Thank you very much! 

I guess I need to replace my 24-port switch (Planex FXG-24 IRM) or see if there is some way I can speed it up ... Well, that's for a different forum. 

Wishing you all the best and many thanks yet again ! 

Stefan 

View solution in original post

Slide1.PNG
Slide2.PNG

All Replies
Emerging Member
Kudos: 27
Solutions: 6

I not entirely sure how you network is connected. But the 6P is a ROUTER so you do not bridge ports, use your switches for that.

I would connect the router and the switches as follows: ISP to one port in the 6P and Another port on the 6p to your switch. Then one port on that switch to the other switch, Both switches with no VLAN (default config). Evrything can talk to evything Man Happy

-Brian

Emerging Member
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 26

[ Edited ]

The ER6  has independent ports.  Bridging uses the CPU to emulate what an ethernet switch does with dedicated ASIC (application specific integrated circuit).  It will limit the performance, but to limit it to 350kbps is extreme.  I think there is another problem.  The only thing that changed was using the ER instead of your old router with built in switch?  Or are new wires involved?  Did you crimp on the RJ45 connectors, or were these pre-made cables?

What speed does the ER think the ethernet links are set to (10Half duplex? 1000 full duplex?)

At the top of the ER GUI dashboard is a picture of the ports on the router, if you hover the mouse pointer over them, they will display the speeds the are currently operating at.

You can also get this info from the CLI (click the CLI button at the top right of the dashboard, then login)

You will get a prompt that ends with the "$" character.

Type the following at the $ prompt

show interfaces ethernet physical
show interfaces ethernet detail

Then reply to this post,

Click the icon in the text entry box that looks like a piece of paper (just to the left of the smiley face).  That's the insert code button, and when you press it, another text entry box will appear.  Paste the output from the above two commands. then press post.

Jon

Thanks for all the advice! I rewired some devices and reset the router to WAN with 2 LAN. I now have eth0 for Internet, eth1 for my LAN and eth2 for a second (currently not used) LAN. All the devices I need access to within the LAN are now connected to the Edgeswitch on eth1 directly or via a subsequent switch. In my file transfer test, I'm working from my PC (Windows 10): Edgerouter>>Edgeswitch>>(approx. 15 m Cat6a cable)>>Second Edgeswitch>>PC I'm moving a file from (1) to (2) below, using the windows file explorer: (1) Edgerouter>>Edgeswitch>>NAS1 (2) Edgerouter>>Edgeswitch>>PCI Gigabit switch>>NAS2 I'm getting transfer speeds of about 1mb/s which is not good at all. It's better than before the rewiring but still far from what I'd expect. When pinging the devices from the second Edgeswitch (by the PC), I'm getting: >>NAS1: 1,7 ms >>NAS2: 58 ms Port eth1 on the router shows a speed of '1000/full'. Using my old Linksys router and the Gigabit switch mentioned above I used to get transfer speeds of 40mb/s ... The PC was closer to the devices then but it shouldn't make that much difference, right? If there's any system log or something I can send you, please let me know. I truly appreciate the help! Sincerely, Stefan
Emerging Member
Kudos: 27
Solutions: 6

[ Edited ]

Your transfere should be: Windows PC >> edgeswitch >> Second Edgeswitch >> NAS. No Router involvment!. If you have to go on the internet, it shoud be: Windows PC >> Edgeswitch >> Router >> Internet.  (Or if the router is in the second switch: Windows PC >> Edgeswitch >> second Edgeswitch >> Router >> Internet.) Always remember Shortest possible way. Router only if you want to leave your subnet, everything else via the switches. If the two switches is not in 2 diffrent pysical locations (ie. One in garage, and one i livingroom). If they are right biside each other, then use a 24 port switch instead, or a 16 port switch. And check if the speed is 1MB that is 1 MegaByte about 10 Megabit, or if the speed is 1mb or 1Mb it is only 1 megabit (Big B = Byte small b = Bit).

-Brian

Kudos: 795
Solutions: 287

post edge switch and edge router config with a little diagram of topology

Thanks again for the quick replies! I'm truly grateful for your support! 

I tested the same file transfer from a different PC but the results were the same. Then, I moved the NAS so that they both connect to the Edgeswitch (rather than the 24-port switch) and that made a huge difference. The attached images show the before and after. 

No longer going through the 24-port switch brought the speed up to 30 MB/s which isn't amazing but acceptable and a lot better than the 1 MB/s I was getting. I verified this from both computers in different locations.

So, in the end it was not an Edgerouter or Edgeswitch issue at all and I apologise for taking your time. Your advice was well received and I learned lot. Thank you very much! 

I guess I need to replace my 24-port switch (Planex FXG-24 IRM) or see if there is some way I can speed it up ... Well, that's for a different forum. 

Wishing you all the best and many thanks yet again ! 

Stefan 

Slide1.PNG
Slide2.PNG
Kudos: 795
Solutions: 287

nice diagrams