Newbie QoS help needed

Greetings,

I'm looking for some assistance setting up QoS.

I have an EdgeRouter 4 and a 48 port EdgeSwitch.

I'd like to identify traffic by the VLAN and prioritize Internet usage, but not limit the bandwidth if there is no contention.

I have three groups of users, staff, presenters, and guests. Guests should have lowest priority with staff highest.

Should I be tagging on the switch? Or is the configuration only on the EdgeRouter? It seems like the basic setup requires a bandwidth limit for each classification. Is there anything with just priority queueing?

Thanks in advance.

-Doug

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2039
Solutions: 899

Re: Newbie QoS help needed

For QoS to work, key point is owning the queue, this is done by setting speed limit on the ER somewhat below your WAN speed limit.

Priority queue is imho useless, as you can't combine it with speed limit, and you don't own the queue

Upload QoS shaping can be done on WAN interface.....but source NAT has already taken place, so you can no longer filter on source IP.   Mark packets with firewall modify rules on LAN interfaces

If you use advanced queue or classic traffic shaper, classes can borrow from each other, if both classes compete for bandwidth,  each class gets reserved share.

What if I tag the packets in the Edgemax switches on the vlans? 802.1q I think

-Doug

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2039
Solutions: 899

Those CoS tags end up in VLAN tag.  These are only usefull in single L2 domain (=all switches) as this tag is stripped by routing

Some switches can also set DSCP values, which does survive routing