Not recieving public ip on wan port

I have this weird issue that Google so far has not solved for me. Yesterday I bought an ER-6P. Before I have been using a synology ac2600 without any issues. I removed the synology and connected my pc to eth0 on the ER, manually set my pc to be in the 192.168.1.11 255.255.255.0 network. I manage to reach the web interface without a problem and followed the guide to make eth0 the wan port and lan1 lan2 on default up  range. Once the router restarted I moved the cable from the pc to eth0 and plugged the network cable from the isp outlet right into eth0. 

After these steps I manage to log back into the web gui from both lan interfaces. However, I have no internet access, the router can't ping outside the lan and when looking into the eth0 interface I see that it does not receive the public ip etc from the ISP. Just to make sure I connected the pc cable right to the isp outlet and sure enough it worked. Connected the synology again, worked.

After some reading I thought it might be the synology mac that somehow got locked at the ISP so I called them to make sure. They told me everything was in order (Not always a guarantee but...)

I can only assume that the eth0 port is working since I can get contact with the GUI prior to the wizard.

Been trying all the usual suspects, reset the router, power cycle it leaving it of for a minute etc. But simply put, it just won't receive the public ip via isp dhcp. Any ideas and help to solve this problem would be great

Kudos: 793
Solutions: 284

Re: Not recieving public ip on wan port

Hit the reset button or unplug plug back in the media converter or whatever they have there

[ Edited ]

Like i Said, already tired reset on the router and unplugging methods. Hos would unplugging ac from router vs media converter be any different or am I missing something?

SuperUser
Kudos: 2053
Solutions: 396

On the edgerouter CLI:

show dhcp client leases
Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br

More then likely I think I have narrowed down the problem to lack of information from my ISP. I have a static IP but what they failed to inform me about is that when I plug in another router it's my job to call and inform them about the new mac address. Can't varify this until tomorrow due to work though. Amazing how primitive things can be still if that's the actually problem
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

Well, that would be my first guess as that's very common actually... And it's not a problem, it's a procedure. Smiley Very Happy

Yeh I guess. Never had that specific one before though. But not the first time my ISP didn't mention important things such as this. 

Anyhow, nothing to be done until they open again tomorrow so I can fix it.

But as a temp fix I guess I'll just have to use my synology as borderrouter and turn of dhcp to be able to play around with the ER.

SuperUser

Well, there's another quick workaround(better in my opinion as I've used it before), wich is changing the router's MAC address by using:

set interfaces ethernet eth0 mac xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

It obviously need to match the previous router's mac address and you will need to reboot the edgerouter after that, and probably the telco's equipment too, but it works just fine. Man Wink

Interesting, learning something new  every day Man Happy

II was hoping to reuse the synology in the network for some of its features though, maybe do the same with the synology if possible and simply exchange the Macs. 

Highlighted
SuperUser

Yeah, of course that's a temporary solution, but it just works..

Thx for all the input, got the temporary setup done while transitioning from one router to the other, so many settings a real smorgosboard to play with Man Happy

But to hijak myself a bit, still have a small issue, a basic networking one. for now i still have devices connected through the synologyrouter, and can't figure out how to make the routing work between the ER interfaces and the synology network.

topology goes like this:

Synology router - 192.168.1.1 (Nas on .100)

ER

Eth0 - 192.168.1.2 (Gateway set to Synology Router IP)

Eth1 - 192.168.10.1 (Workstation/Lab on .50)

As far as i can tell all i should need is a static rout on the synology saying:

192.168.10.0/24 255.255.255.0 > 192.168.1.2 (ER IP)

and on the ER its already set up a static route to the Gateway, but tested manually adding different static routes with the different IP involved. It gets a ping but host unreachable no matter what config. Have i missed something?