Kudos: 95
Solutions: 6

Re: Offloading-Flow randomly "jumps" from Offload-Engine to Linux / ER-Pro8 / v.1.10.0

@UbiquitiEmployees... what are you using as Router on your Network in your company? Are you also using EdgeMax? ^^ Why do we discover such issues before you do?

The simple answer is, that you do not use EdgeMax :-P

Why is your quality assurance so bad?

Do you have no unit tests?

Enable / disable Offload.

Enable / disable Netflow.

Reboot router and check if all BGP-Peers get the correct informations (advertised prefixes)

Check the neighbour if advertising-information match with the received-prefixes...

and so on.

Kudos: 17
Solutions: 1

Re: Offloading-Flow randomly "jumps" from Offload-Engine to Linux / ER-Pro8 / v.1.10.0

I think, and I may be wrong here, but I don't think many people are using these routers in high bandwidth, high pps environments with full BGP routes. It's difficult to reproduce this kind of traffic for testing.

I moved our BGP to vyos on a bare metal server and having much better performance, but I rather have it on our edgerouters. This is a critical bug!

Any updates to this? Any plans to refactor the offload engine any further or is this as good as it gets?
Kudos: 95
Solutions: 6

A quick-fix is mostly the last fix.

I think that nobody have ever touched that implementation since the quick-fix was released.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 2

Hi All,

Same reboot for my ER8 after disabling offloading on 1.10.8 version :-(
@UBNT-afomins ??
Kudos: 20

[ Edited ]

New EdgeRouter firmware 2.0.0-alpha.1 released by  ated 06-05-2018

but stable firmware for ERP is still on 1.10.7  -         Dated 10-03-2018

Main Changes since v1.10.3

• Upgraded underlying Debian distribution from Wheezy to Jessie. NOTE: you will need to manually set "distribution jessie" in order to install 3rd party packages from Debian repository
  • Updated software components:

• Upgraded linux kernel from 3.10.107 to 4.9.79 for Octeon-based routers (ER, ER-pro, ER-lite, ER-PoE, ER-Infinity)

NB  which is fantastic news as the old kernel was probably the main reason for all the problems we have seen on the ERP's 

should make it easier for end users to install BIRD

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/alternative-routing-protocol-suite-quot-BIRD-quot-with-BFD-...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Stories/EdgeRouter-as-BGP-router/cns-p/1716321#comments

On the 6th March 2019 we will be 10 months down the line and no BETA version, or any updates to speak of from UBNT with regards to Firmware Beta 2 version for EdgeRouters -  come on UBNT get your finger out and throw some resource at ER, you seem to be really dragging your feet over this, get some budget out of your CEO and outsource it to some competant software people who know about Octeon and BGP for christs sakes !

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2746
Solutions: 129

@pcourtney wrote:

New EdgeRouter firmware 2.0.0-alpha.1 released by  ated 06-05-2018

but stable firmware for ERP is still on 1.10.7  -         Dated 10-03-2018

Main Changes since v1.10.3

• Upgraded underlying Debian distribution from Wheezy to Jessie. NOTE: you will need to manually set "distribution jessie" in order to install 3rd party packages from Debian repository
  • Updated software components:

• Upgraded linux kernel from 3.10.107 to 4.9.79 for Octeon-based routers (ER, ER-pro, ER-lite, ER-PoE, ER-Infinity)

NB  which is fantastic news as the old kernel was probably the main reason for all the problems we have seen on the ERP's 

should make it easier for end users to install BIRD

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/alternative-routing-protocol-suite-quot-BIRD-quot-with-BFD-...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Stories/EdgeRouter-as-BGP-router/cns-p/1716321#comments

On the 6th March 2019 we will be 10 months down the line and no BETA version, or any updates to speak of from UBNT with regards to Firmware Beta 2 version for EdgeRouters -  come on UBNT get your finger out and throw some resource at ER, you seem to be really dragging your feet over this, get some budget out of your CEO and outsource it to some competant software people who know about Octeon and BGP for christs sakes !

Err what?

2.0.0 has had additional alphas and betas since then. In fact, there's a release version too!

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Updates-Blog/EdgeMAX-EdgeRouter-software-release-v2-0-0/ba-p/2...

Also worth noting there has been an offload related issue fixed in a pre-release 1.10.9 version available in the beta forums. I believe the fix will come to 2.x once it's verified the fix has worked for people in the 1.10.9 version.

Kudos: 20

eeekkk   my bad 

I did not see that  -  probably because we have taken all our ER Pro 8's out of service ( all 20 of them ) , which my boss is not very happy about 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Updates-Blog/EdgeMAX-EdgeRouter-software-release-v2-0-0/ba-p/2...

hopefully we might re-introduce some of them back into the network in 2019  :-) 

I have already tried all of the latest betas and the issue is still not resolved. The latest answer from ubiquiti after opening several support cases was that they are aware of the issue and it will eventually be resolved. In the meantime I have removed all of our core edgerouters out of production.